Notify
Tools

Darwin wins yet again
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
http://www.inquisitr.com/15967...ring-piggyback-ride/

Many people told South African farmer Marius Els that he couldn’t possible domesticate a Hippopotamus but the 40-year-old army major wouldn’t take their word for it and now he has been killed by his “hippo son.”

The man’s 6-year-old wild “pet” hippo (which he as been raising since 5-months-old) was considered a part of the family and weighed in at 2,600 pounds.

Els was so close to the hippo that he would ride on it’s back, feed it and pet it. It was during a ride on his pets back that Els was grabbed by the wild animal and dragged into the water where he drowned.

In an earlier interview Els said of his pet:

“Humphrey’s like a son to me, he’s just like a human.”

Els would later add:

“There’s a relationship between me and Humphrey and that’s what some people don’t understand … They think you can only have a relationship with dogs, cats and domestic animals. But I have a relationship with the most dangerous animal in Africa.”

While Marius called his hippopotamus a “gentle giant” Humphrey was known to cause issues, including one incident in which he chased a grandfather and grandson into the trees while they were canoeing. Humphrey also broke out of his enclosure on several occasions and made his way to a local golf club where he would chase golfers around the course.

Here’s a video chronicling the Marius Els and Humphrey relationship:

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
No new lessons were learned.

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Don't be so hasty. I learned that there's a video of a man (now deceased) who thought it was OK to ride a hippo.

Video in link. You too can be be astounded. Or not. cuckoo

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
No new lessons were learned.

Mangwana

+1
I already knew that swimming with a hippo might not be the smartest thing to do....

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
killpc

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Another bites the dust.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Related to Tim Treadwell?

Just asking Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our collective IQ has now increased..

What a nit wit.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote