New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stick practice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So since I'm a year out and do a lot of shooting normally, but not a lot standing from sticks (do so kneeling around here). I would like to build myself a set to practice with, starting with my scoped .22 and when I get comfy move back to the 300 WSM, which is what I shall be using in Namibia.

Can anyone here either show me a pic of the sticks commonly used in Africa as a shooting platform or provide advice on building a set?

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Preddy

Keep it simple incase the PH is not into fancy sticks.

3x boom sticks drill a 10mm hole 75mm from 1 end in each stick.
Cable tie then together and do not pull it tight.

From there sticks can only get better.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey short stuff - how's it going? Getting excited yet?

David got home this week, and we were just looking at about 3500 pics and video of the last 7 weeks hunts last night on the computer. Sent Amy two more 6 terrabyte hard drives for all her photos.

He and I just had this discussion, and thought I'd let you know that everyone of the PH's at Omujeve uses homemade ones of bamboo. The 3-legged ones with rubber wrapping them together, and the third leg cut off works the best. They have tried them all and prefer these the best.

In the Spring when we are going, the grass at Omatendeka is very high and we will almost always be off sticks. Up in the mountains you will occassionally get a shot off the backpack on rocks, but not often.

Make your practice ones full heigth for you, and I will be able to use them sitting down! Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Big Buddy, just because you are NOT normal for height doesn't mean you get to pick on the folks who may appear to be shorter than you!

So I am guess the leg off the front is the one cut off? Sounds like I need to get to Lowe's right away!

One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
bungee cord also makes a good wrapper.
The nice thing about bamboo is that you can use a node to keep the shorter leg from sliding out.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is overkill, but I like to get used to my equipment.

I hunted where the sticks were a bipod and the one leg was broken, so I could not stand up comfortably. This was a PITA for the entire hunt. I would also adjust the legs and the trackers would keep making them shorter so that they were easier to carry in the bush, meaning than when I needed to shoot they were set up for a midget.

I strongly suggest that you buy a good set of adjustable sticks. Mark the height that you like. Practice with your sticks and develop a technique. Fly your own over in your rifle case and then adjust as you prefer them. Then wrap camo bandage over the joint so that they cannot be made shorter.

I shoot waaay better with my own stuff that I'm accustomed to. More importantly I'm quick onto my own sticks as I practiced starting standing a pace or two behind them, stepping forward and setting up. Time is often of the essence!

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're always hearing and reading from PH's and experienced hunters about the tendency for new hunters to overpack, to bring along so much unnecessary crap that it borders on the ridiculous. The next recommendation you hear is to carry a simple set of sticks halfway around the world because they are apparently magical and impossible to duplicate.

It's just three sticks and a hunk of rubber! I own a Bog Pod tripod and it's nice, but I would no sooner pack that thing into my luggage than I would bring my own folding chair! Practice at home on a homemade bamboo/rubber set, then if it makes you feel better take some rubber tape to Africa to make your own set there. Africa's a big place...they probably have three sticks laying around or growing somewhere for you to use. Maybe the PH has even done that already!

Now the real question: What's the best microwave oven to take to Africa? Is 700 watts mandatory, or is it possible to get by with 500?

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, the practice will begin as soon as this dang monsoon quits!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now the real question: What's the best microwave oven to take

John, as you asked, and as a helpful African I thought to remind you that certain African countries run on 220V and not 110V. Make sure you bring the right one. Wink

Anyhow, Preddy, for the very reasons that you are paying thousands of dollars and you are travelling half way around the world, packing a set of sticks in your rifle case which takes up no more space and which could make a difference to your success or failure would make sense to me.

If you feel a 300WSM is called for and you are in Namibia I assume longer shots may be on the agenda. Being comfortable on those shots is important.

I've come close to having a hunt fail because I assumed that my PH (who is a very respected and old hand) had taken care of it. Assumptions are expensive, but hey what would I know?

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote