THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Nerves of steel or just plain stupid?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nerves of steel or just plain stupid?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
No question in my mind. Really stupid.

https://youtu.be/Hbdp64atFJk

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing video...but the elephant could as well have stomped him...you never know..!

Very foolish to take a chance like that...maybe he had a death wish..??

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
He knows the elephant by name.

We were in a park in South Africa and at lead6 one elephant put his trunk inside our truck.

Same happened in Kenya too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It depends on a variety of factors such as individual animal, person(s) involved & several other factors.

I've been that close to elephants (mostly) where we knew each other & my friend & very good PH Jason van Aarde has been closer to elephants he knew well on many occasions.

Another example is Randall J Moore who had/has Abu's Camp in Botswana.

I will say though that being that close to elephants is very exciting indeed. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would have left a bad smell in my pants.....

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lion maybe had a go at him (the elephant) in the past.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
My wife and I had a run in with an elephant bull in Etosha in 2012. A herd of ele’s blocked the roads ad just west of Halali Camp. We put the rental car in park and let them pass at about 75 yards. The herd bull decided he didn’t like us and charged head on at 75 yards. I slammed the car in Reverse and floored it. He actually gained on us, but gave up chasing after 150- 200 yards. Scared the crap out of us.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, 9 times out of 10 it works...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Labman:
No question in my mind. Really stupid.

https://youtu.be/Hbdp64atFJk[/QUOTE
MmJPS

JPS

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks neat until something clicks the wrong way in that elephants head.

Obviously a really calm animal at that point. But I’ve seen them go from calm to aggressive for no apparent reason. No good reason to get that close and interactive with wild animals...

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
It looks neat until something clicks the wrong way in that elephants head.

Obviously a really calm animal at that point. But I’ve seen them go from calm to aggressive for no apparent reason. No good reason to get that close and interactive with wild animals...

Let anyone try that shit when its testosterone levels are high. Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely a calm ele, but that can change in an instant. The more prudent coarse of action would have been to back the vehicle up a safe distance and not have the close encounter. This type of up close and personal is more an Ivan Carter specialty, who does really know how to read an ele temperament.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That El did a lot of scent gathering.
if there were any lion scent or perhaps gunpowder scent, it could have changed the el's temperment.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

When I watched the video the thought that came to me was that I might have been filled more with a sense of wonderment than fear if it had been me. What an extraordinary experience that must have been to be smelt all over by that elephant. I'm probably nuts but that's how I felt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one has hunted trophy elephant, he has been damn close to them, say perhaps under 10 ft. Many are shot at 10 to 15 ft. They are as dangerous at 10 ft. as they are at trunk level, if they decide to stomp you..and the ones you are hunting are not the park elephant these guys play with..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They say that "familiarity breeds contempt". It also has resulted the death of more than a few "experts" who let an elephant get a little too close.

With any animal, you just never know when a "bluff" attack turns into a matter of life or death.

I believe even the animals don't know, they just react.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has a great amount of experience with elephants.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote