Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing animals back from Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted
Is it possible to carry skulls back from Africa on your return flight vs shipping if you only plan to skull mount? This question comes from a friend that might be coming with me.

We are planning on only bringing backpacks and carry-on for the flight out there. Long story, but most likely can't bring guns due to work travel schedule.

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Have a friend who has done it.

Untreated they stink up a storm. Treated, you need a receipt and a treatment document.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bhtkevin:
Is it possible to carry skulls back from Africa on your return flight vs shipping if you only plan to skull mount? This question comes from a friend that might be coming with me.

Is it possible = Probably.

Is it legal? = Probably not.

Most African countries require export permits & veterinary clearances to be issued after the hunt & the importing country (esp if it's the USA) may well require import permits & may take exception to raw, untreated & undocumented trophies coming in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short answer is no and the long answer is yes.

Technically, all skulls and skins have a mandatory drying period that exceeds the normal length of a hunting trip. Next, they (trophies) have to be dipped and packed and have veterinary and customs export clearances to be taken out.

Next obstetrical is you have to obtain the US Import documents and clearances and you can't do that until you have the export docs from the taxidermist - especially if you are going to bring back any CITES listed animals.

Long answer is yes and we've been doing it for the past several years. We bring back the previous years trophies as checked baggage. Under US laws a private person can self-import their own trophies by obtaining an "Importer's Lic. ($100.00) and is valid for two years and as many times as you want to use it. Second step is to obtain the USF&W Import Permits - last year that cost me around $300.00 but, about 1/2 of that was to pay the "over-time" fee to have the USF&W agent meet us at our final destination (Tampa) which also happens to be an authorized alternate import clearance point. $100.00 of the fee was to use Tampa instead of one of the primary locations like JFK, ATL etc. You also have to have a copy of your previous years hunting license to prove you are bringing back just your trophies - the animals you actually shoot are listed on the lic.

Your trophies can also be cleared with USF&W when you initially clear US Customs at JFK, ATL etc. A USF&W agent will meet you at the Customs area and clear your "stuff".

All the paperwork can be done and paid on-line and once you do it the first time it is a piece of cake.

I choose to use Tampa as that is where we live and if there are any problems I can leave the stuff with the USF&W agent, sort it out in a few days and not have to worry about trying to get them from JFK, ATL etc. The other reason is I can drive to the USF&W office and work face to face with the agent who will be actually meeting us and clearing our stuff. They review all the paperwork, export and import, beforehand and make sure everything is 100% before we go over.

The money we save just about pays for one round-trip ticket the following year.

Edited to add - since your location is not listed in your OP I was basing my answer on US based hunters.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. This is a pretty common option in Asia which is why I asked. Plus we just got screwed importing our Ibex back to Dallas. Going to try and self import this next hunt.

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote