Find
Notify
Tools

Courteney boot order timelines
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Anyone buy a pair direct from them or anyone else lately?

What is the current shipping time?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ordered a pair in September and another pair in November. Took a full two months both times.

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I go to Africa very often, nearly every year, and buy Courteney boots there. Years ago the main plant and office on Hillside would not sell directly to the public. Fazaks in Bulawayo has just about everything and Jethro (employee) is a nice guy to do business with. I have known him since 2000 or before. However the owner is a grouchy pain in the ass so now I buy in Harare at Fereday's. They are not cheap but much less than when bought in the States.

As an added bonus, when shopping in Zim I have friends pay for my stuff with their bond notes and I reimburse in US to give friends some much needed cash.

If you know someone who is going there have them pick up a pair for you. Then it is only an additional 20$ for a flat rate box to get it to you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of anyone other than the military and diplomats going anywhere in Africa right now because of the lock down.

We are all slaves to Amazon now.

I agree Cal, those were the times.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
You can buy a far better boot in the States for half the price. And you all have a huge range and variety of footwear.

Bought Courtneys once and they self-destructed halfway through a season.

A bit like Landrovers they look sexy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have tons of shit boots made in China for half price. We wear them out regularly.

Better boots from Italy or Eastern Europe, American made boots are more expensive than Courteneys are. Look at a pair of Danners that is actually made in America. Most Danners are not made in America.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can buy a far better boot in the States for half the price. And you all have a huge range and variety of footwear.

Agree with Andrew (Fairgame) wholeheartedly. I currently have eight (8) pairs of Courtney Selous' that I have purchased over the years at Fazaks in Bulawayo in various leather materials. I would try on a number of pairs until I found the one that would fit my feet the best. I hunted with them for 12 years in Africa. Initially I wanted to be part of the perceived style of an African hunter. However, most of the PHs that I hunted with didn't wear them. My feet took a beating on my last hunting trip to Namibia mountain hunting for mountain zebra because of the boots and when I came home I put them on the shelf with the other 7 pairs. Right now, my favorite hunting boot is Kenetrek, and I've hunted all over with them. My feet are comfortable and I enjoy the hunt much more. Courtneys are over priced and unless you first try them on, can be finicky to fit your feet. Do they last? Yes sir, they do-I still have all of them, including my original pair. But, I'm not for looks or sexy style anymore. I want a boot that my feet likes and that I can wear for 12 hours straight. Each to their own-that's why the world spins.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Andrew, but the Courtney's are to wide for me, the Kennetrek is much more narrow and fit me great. I did order some Russel's at DSC but I am guessing I will still like the kennetrek's better, we will see.

Sorry to derail your thread, I can ask a few people in Zim if they can be shipped out after the lockdown

Posts: 1017 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Scarpa and I have a love hate relationship with Meindl.

I have plantar fasciitis. Sometimes I can take a lot and some times I can't take anything.

Picture of Moneypenny
posted Hide Post
I hear mixed reviews about Courteney boots, some people swear by them, others not at all. It’s all down to personal preference. Most of the guys I know that wear Courteney boots use insoles to make them more comfortable.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moneypenny:
I hear mixed reviews about Courteney boots, some people swear by them, others not at all. It’s all down to personal preference. Most of the guys I know that wear Courteney boots use insoles to make them more comfortable.

They look cool and you support a good company doing business in hard part of Africa. And they dont wear out in some years I can say.

You will not have a problem with grip or thorns going inside your foot. Buying Under armour shoes or whatever other anti hunting brands out there I would choose Courtneys every day of the week

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I really like Scarpa and I have a love hate relationship with Meindl.

I have plantar fasciitis. Sometimes I can take a lot and some times I can't take anything.

I had that damn plantar few years back, kept doing everything through the pain, did bunch of stretches and still it lingered for a year
I don’t think boots make much difference
In the end it went away

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of, and wearing Courteney boots since my first trips to Zimbabwe in the 1990s. I love them. However, the need an arched insole for comfort. I laugh at th 500 mile guarantee as I have documented 1000+ miles on a pair. I walk daily, 4-10 miles each day and keep a log. I also wear a pair that is one size too big to fit heavy wool socks in and wear them in the winter's cold when I walk on the snow machine trails.

I have a pair of Russels and they are OK but not worth the price by any stretch of the imagination. Years ago I bought three pairs Kennetrek boots "of Montana" at the Alaska Sportsemen's show. When I got home I noticed in the paperwork they were made in Thailand and Italy. I retuned them the next day and never looked at the companhy since.

Courteney's are part of Africa and when I go this July to Harare (if the country is open and Emirates is flying) I will buy several pair in a varitey of styles for myself.

If any of you go, the stores, including Fazaks in Bulawayo, sell cheap Chinese copies that look damn nice but at $30 a pair I doubt they will last. They are made to look exctly like Courteney's.

BWW--contact me in mid July and if my big 4 hunt is still on we can chat about me bringing a pair back for you. PM me around July 15. However, don't ask me to bring back elephant as I don't want them confiscated.

Cheers, all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If any of you go, the stores, including Fazaks in Bulawayo, sell cheap Chinese copies that look damn nice but at $30 a pair I doubt they will last. They are made to look exctly like Courteney's.

Damn, Cal, I have always bought the real thing at Fazaks. Never saw any fakes. Did you have to ask for the Chinese copies? Do the Chinese copies come with the linen bag, the extra laces and the leather bag with the brush and cream? And, in the official Courteney box? Just askin. . . . . Big Grin When did they start doing this? Wink

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

Damn, Cal, I have always bought the real thing at Fazaks. Never saw any fakes. Did you have to ask for the Chinese copies? Do the Chinese copies come with the linen bag, the extra laces and the leather bag with the brush and cream? And, in the official Courteney box? Just askin. . . . . Big Grin When did they start doing this? Wink

About 5 years. The fakes are easy to spot, much less money, and no accessories.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Courteney boots are made for flat footed individuals, all other will want to purchase a proper insert with a good arch support.

I have had a pair since 2010, they are wide and even with 2 pair of socks on my foot would still slide around in them, not a good combination when tracking in Africa, unless you like blisters. I had them well broke in and used them in Zimbabwe for my 2012 hunt. After 2 days walking on uneven ground and up and down the granite mounds while out in the field, they became camp slippers boots. I have not tried their narrower boot, and for the price I can purchase many other hunting shoes that fit me better. I currently use them at times in the fall and spring for trips that require some good traction.

As for the Russell's footwear, again I was fitted for a pair of shoes and they were a fight from the time I received them, the fit was not for me, I have high arches and unless I wore thin socks I could not get them on. They also needed an insert for arch support. They were given at a clothing drive for the homeless and I am not looking back.

I like Merrill Shoes and I just gave the pair away that has been on 5 trips to Africa, I had planned on purchasing a pair whiling Namibia last year, however we ran out of time and that did not happen. I had planned to give them to someone at camp that they fitted. Purchased a new pair of Merrill's water proof shoes for future trips. You just need to go to a sporting store or shoe store that sells them and try on different styles until you fine the one that fit you.

m2c

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I love Courtney's. I wear them everyday except when I have to appear in court. So mine are really well broken in and I hunt in them as well. I do alternate pairs when hunting. I am very flat footed and they couldn't be more comfortable to me.

Posts: 10304 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
....the linen bag, the extra laces and the leather bag with the brush and cream? And, in the official Courteney box.....

Those are the trademark guarantees. Not many others in the outdoor footwear industry include these accessories in the package.

The "cream" if I recall is Dubbin, for waterproofing and keeping the leather soft.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I guess each to his own. I bought a pair of Courtney's at Bulawayo a while back. The studs on the top right hurt my ankle. They are in the back of my closet somewhere. At DSC this year I bought another two pairs of Russells. If it works why bother changing.

Now, out of Africa I like the Danner USMC RAT boot, the Goretex model.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Agree with Andrew (Fairgame) wholeheartedly. I currently have eight (8) pairs of Courtney Selous' that I have purchased over the years at Fazaks in Bulawayo in various leather materials. I would try on a number of pairs until I found the one that would fit my feet the best. I hunted with them for 12 years in Africa. Initially I wanted to be part of the perceived style of an African hunter. However, most of the PHs that I hunted with didn't wear them. My feet took a beating on my last hunting trip to Namibia mountain hunting for mountain zebra because of the boots and when I came home I put them on the shelf with the other 7 pairs. Right now, my favorite hunting boot is Kennetrek, and I've hunted all over with them. My feet are comfortable and I enjoy the hunt much more. Courtneys are over priced and unless you first try them on, can be finicky to fit your feet. Do they last? Yes sir, they do-I still have all of them, including my original pair. But, I'm not for looks or sexy style anymore. I want a boot that my feet likes and that I can wear for 12 hours straight. Each to their own-that's why the world spins.

For 7 years I wore a slip-on ankle boot made by CAT and they were indestructible. I eventually gave them to my tracker as the insole wore away and now I wear good quality sneakers of which I have half a dozen pairs.

The Courtney is a good boot no doubt but there are much better out there specifically designed for hiking.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about comments re: Courtney boots being over priced. How much does a pair cost if you buy them in Zim? I realize there are different models with different prices but a ball park price will do.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wondering which Kenetreks people are using. I have found most boots we can get here in the States have a much harder and louder sole. Wanted something quiet for stalking buffalo. That is the main reason I've stayed with the Courtenay boot. Maybe that feature has been overblown. Open to learn something new.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rigby here sell them and could post to you or I guess Rigby stockists over there may also have the Rigby branded ones.. worth a thought.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wondering which Kenetreks people are using.

For me, I wear the Kenetrek Bridger Ridge Highs and Bridger Ridge Lows with African gators. I also have the Safaris, but like the lighter Bridgers. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton wears sandals and probably walks more than any other PH.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not man enough to wear sandals in the bush. Like to wear long pants too. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Wondering which Kenetreks people are using.

For me, I wear the Kenetrek Bridger Ridge Highs and Bridger Ridge Lows with African gators. I also have the Safaris, but like the lighter Bridgers. Big Grin

Thanks! Will check those out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt Inter:
Rigby here sell them and could post to you or I guess Rigby stockists over there may also have the Rigby branded ones.. worth a thought.

There are 3 stockiest in the USA, none of them have my size in the patrol in stock.

I used to have Westley Richards branded ones, they were hippo. Pretty cool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300SAKO:
I'm not man enough to wear sandals in the bush. Like to wear long pants too. Smiler

Me too, especially when I get a sunburn on my feet. That is really ouchy.

I live in the Chihuahuan desert, I don't wear sandals here withour snakes, fire ants, spiders, centepedes, scorpions and hornets, why would I wear them someplace like Africa?

I had a bee sting me between my sandal and the bottom of my foot when time when wearing Teva sandals. That was not fun.

I had a scorpion get me one night when I went outside to take a look at the blood moon when we lived in the Mojave Desert.

Could have just as easily been a snake it was so dark.

I'll on all that crap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I'm curious about comments re: Courtney boots being over priced. How much does a pair cost if you buy them in Zim? I realize there are different models with different prices but a ball park price will do.

I would be interested in this as well. I have paid between $200.00-$325.00 for my Zamberlein and Meindl boots (the both of which I like). It would be interesting to see the price difference...

Posts: 2661 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are basically leather Chuck Taylors with a Norwegian rand sewed to a tractor tire sole.

I still like them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$379.00 USD. That's what is listed on their Zimbabwe website for all of their Selous, except Black Ostrich: $492.00 USD. Did I say that I have eight (8) pairs? Did I also say overpriced? Big Grin Have at them gents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz wears Crocs, or a clone. Easy on and off, and quick to remove the trash that inevitably gets inside. But, Buzz is the real deal. My legs are made for radio, so I wear long pants and a pair of Russell Joes PH. They have been on 5 safaris over a span of 15 years, and required no break-in period at all. CBD oil has a proven track record of helping relieve plantar fasciitis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So does cocaine but I hear there are side effects.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

quote:

I have 3 Landrovers and 1 pair of Courtneys! And all 4 are running and walking fine!!!

Andrew, one day, if you are nice to me, I'll lend you my Courtneys and you can drive my Landy and we'll discuss art Wink

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2320 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we end up returning to Europe, I'll own another Land Rover. I have not had one since 2003. I used to own a 1980 something Santana Series 3 109. It was even so wonderful as to be left hand drive like a proper car should be.

There were a lot of 110s for sale for cheap in Germany, but Germany rust things as a professional Germany weather mode of operations. So they usually sucked.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

quote:

I have 3 Landrovers and 1 pair of Courtneys! And all 4 are running and walking fine!!!

Andrew, one day, if you are nice to me, I'll lend you my Courtneys and you can drive my Landy and we'll discuss art Wink

I understand they put a Ford drive train in the Landrover. I am waiting for them to add the Ford body.

My comfortable boot is a pair of Hi-Tek that I bought in Reno for $50 from Sierra Trading. I also hunt in a Karrimor running shoe.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Bought Courtneys once and they self-destructed halfway through a season.

I agree 100% with Andrew.
I had to repair my 2 different Couteney Models already several times.
There are far better Brands out there like my new Haix Shoes. The are fitting perfectly and the are a pleasure to walk.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got bit by a brown recluse last night, doctor said I was lucky and I am antibiotics for the next 5 days.

Left heel. Not really painful, feels crusty. Like a burned steak in there.

Maybe I need to wear boots everyday.

Living here in the desert, I shake my boots out every morning. I always expect some little asshole to have spent the night in there. So far been lucky.