Find
Notify
Tools

Shap to Nickudu!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have enjoyed looking over everyone's trophy photos on Nickudu's various albums on the Afican Hunter Forum.

Thanks for taking the time to do this Nick, I appreciate it! The newest, African Cats, is pretty cool. There are some really nice trophies there!

Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too, but please leave at least one empty space in the Cats collection as I have not shot mine yet, but will.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Me too, but please leave at least one empty space in the Cats collection as I have not shot mine yet, but will.

Here's a picture of 'cats'.

It's ForrestB's Trophy. thumb clap :beer

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I have enjoyed looking over everyone's trophy photos on Nickudu's various albums on the Afican Hunter Forum.

Thanks for taking the time to do this Nick, I appreciate it! The newest, African Cats, is pretty cool. There are some really nice trophies there!

Smiler

Thanks for that Ann! Nice of you. Smiler

Thanks dogcat! Your space is reserved!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Hear Hear! Thanks Nick!!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Smiler

Off course and once again many thanks and congratulations Nickudu, that's acting altruism.
I'll stop there my thanks, otherwise I fear You growing lazy. Big Grin

My question for Ann :

I was puzzled by the tittle of the thread

SHAP TO SHAP TO NICKUDU
no shap findable in any dictionnary. Nonetheless it's évident for a frenchman. Why? Where is Shap coming from? Why? Where is Shap coming from?

Again, more thanks.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jean Bernard,

My South African friends (Afrikaaners) explained to me that SHAP is kind of a slang term for them that has the meaning of "well done!, or "cool!, or "way to go! if you compare it to American slang.

I may have written it better to write it as Nickudu-Shap! but am not sure. ALF or any of the other REAL South African readers could have corrected me as I am no expert in Afrikaans. He's probably not said anything out of politeness to me! Smiler

Anyway, it's a compliment to Nick's hard work and dedication as I know his photo hosting albums cost him out of his personal expenses. If you are not sure about what I am talking about go look at the African Hunter Forum (and thank you too, Saeed!).

I hope everyone who has an interest in African game, hunting, and trophies takes the time to peruse the albums and all of them. There are some really great trophies there and for a new or first time African hunter they could study those photos to get an idea about what they should be looking for and looking forward too!

Much better than the usual troll thread that gets a thousand hits..... I get so sick of that crap.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ann, I really have enjoyed the photos by members and look forward to seeing more. Thanks Nikudu for your hard work.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Ann

You are absolutely right, Nickudu is pulling us skyward. I am having a lot of pleasure reading his files and I imagine it's fairly hard (and expensive)to find such rare and tasty data, especially the vintage ones. It's the honour and the noblesse (nobility) of thi forum to provide such classy informations.

To speak of Shap. As You say You picked it in South Africa, it's even clearer for me.
In the beginning, the RSA was populated by the Dutch and french protestant.
Shap is for Chapeau (pronunce Shapo). The french expression is Chapeau bas = Hats off. Most of the time we are saying "Shapo" (hats) only thus the "Shap" in Afrikander.
It's a good think languages are inter-linked, it's inter-linking people.

Do You want another brainteaser in french sauce?

One can say that Nickudu's data are "ad usum delphini"....it's latine, what's the meaning?

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It means (in Okie-speak) - "darn, that was good, can I have another?"

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much better than the usual troll thread that gets a thousand hits..... I get so sick of that crap.

Thank you Ann

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One can say that Nickudu's data are "ad usum delphini"....it's latine, what's the meaning?

Jean B. de Runz

Jean Bernard,

I will be honest and tell you I had to do some googling on this one as I don't know much Latin.

I found the following:

...published under the orders of the French royal family Dauphin, with the goal of giving their heirs a proper education in the classics...

Which could mean that Nickudu is giving us a proper education to the African axperience.

I am really not sure.

However, though this is not related to Africa, but back when I followed hounds on horseback (I rode staff and was a whipper-in), one of my favorite hounds was named Delphine. She was a very keen fox hound.

Someday I will probably name another dog as such. Smiler

~Ann

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Definety, You are the best!

kind regards jb

J B de Runz