THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    keeping water out of barrels in wet season ele hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

keeping water out of barrels in wet season ele hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you take any measures? Can March ele hunting in Dande be wet enough to get water in the bore.I picked up a bore snake today at the range to bring along in case.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
A tried and proven method is still available. Sold at pharmacies worldwide, for some time now, under a easily recognized brand name.

I believe the unlubricated Trojan brand works quite well for this. salute

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Shootaway:
Yes a condom will work and some company makes small black mini condoms just for the purpose of keeping bores dry.
However, I use a small piece of black electrical tape. It works fine, cheap, a roll will last a lifetime of hunting, and you can shoot through it when it is time to take a quick shot.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Dande East a couple of years ago and simply kept ( as Cal said ) a small piece of Duct tape over the barrels of the .470 Nitro.
Simple and perfect solution George..
Wish you all the best in your hunt..you'll have. Great time

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people sure have a dire shortage of imagination.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our trackers got a laugh at me once.

We were in the truck, with the rifles stood muzzle up in the back.

It started pouring down with rain.

I took the chewing gum I had in my mouth and put on the end of the barrel to stop the rain going in.

When the rain stopped, I took the gum off and started chewing it again.

The trackers thought that was hilarious!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
We use electric tape to protect the rifle barrel all the time here in NZ as it rains most months and you never know when you can get caught in the bush.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I took the chewing gum I had in my mouth and put on the end of the barrel to stop the rain going in.

That, my friend, is imagination. ! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Do you take any measures? Can March ele hunting in Dande be wet enough to get water in the bore.I picked up a bore snake today at the range to bring along in case.

We do have some wet weather here in the USA from time to time, and even some snow (imagine that). An old timer taught me to use a couple of short strips of electrical tape (the plastic type) over the end of the barrel. It stays in place and prevents stuff from plugging up the barrel. When you fire the gun, the tape is gone from the end of the barrel long before the bullet gets there and it has zero effect on accuracy. Electrical tape is less offensive to those easily offended by a condom over the muzzle. Wink

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Yep, black electrical tape

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good ol rubbers work. Reminds me of a story. We were turkey hunting in Southeast Washington and my friend went into Wallmart and as he was picking out some condoms there were a couple of boys probably 14-15 years old. Being a bit of a prankster he picked up some Magnum Size, the boys were a bit titillated at his purchase. He turns to them and says something like they fit a bit tight but its all they have.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
A bit of black electrical tape as others have mentioned.

When you tape the barrel, tape one end of a 4" piece of thread down as well and you have a built in wind indicator.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway

The black tape is the way to go but if it is very wet I would wipe out the barrels each evening so that no condensation forms causing rust.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condoms made for the Chinese

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
OK guys, we can all agree that the black tape is the best solution. I was just want to have a bit of fun with the Trojan stuff.

Not completely unrelated though, in many parts of Africa, it is a good idea to tape your muzzle, or set two shells bullet end down in the muzzle to prevent net building in your barrel. Apparently more than one nice rifle has met it's end by wasps or dirt daubers building a plug during a midday break.

I'll normally look thru the breech of a double, but rarely thru a bolt gun, before loading it. It's been too much trouble to pull the bolt most of the time, hell, I'm afraid I'll drop it in the dirt. But, with that piece of tape sitting up there, I know, it's probably good to go.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i used electrical tape about 20 years ago on a Oct horseback hunt in northern BC on a new Weatherby. i never fired my rifle( long story) and when i removed it 10 days later, it took the barrel bluing with it. just saying.....finger cotts like are used to insert suppositories work best( not too big-LOL) and can be bought cheaply at a drug store.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The black tape is the way to go but if it is very wet I would wipe out the barrels each evening so that no condensation forms causing rust.

Very important point. I always use electrical tape over the muzzle end when hunting. It works and keeps rain and debris out, but doesn't stop condensation. If the barrel is not wiped out every night I guarantee rust will start. I've learnt that lesson. I tend to hunt areas subject to regular rainfall.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.I just cleared customs with my leopard mount and have it on my wall.The past month was very busy.Had to renew my passport,wait for my leopard to pass US export inspection and ship,find a new replacement at work,get things together for packing,travel clinic rendez-vous etc...

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Thanks for all the replies.I just cleared customs with my leopard mount and have it on my wall.The past month was very busy.Had to renew my passport,wait for my leopard to pass US export inspection and ship,find a new replacement at work,get things together for packing,travel clinic rendez-vous etc...

Would love to see a picture of the mount!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will take a picture of it on Wednesday.I want to have the pic on my camera to show my PH and company.I am still exhausted from yesterday.After a long day at work,I carried the crate on my Pick-up and had no one to help me take it off so I found use of a snow bank near my house then pushed the crate with the truck into the garage.It is really nice.I had my brother and parents come by take a look at it.All were speechless. As I expected they did not think it would be that nice.A long wait worth it.I regret not having Phil Soucy do a full mount with the hyena as the hide was surprisingly beautiful- I had to draw the line on expenses somewhere.I will take a pic of the honey badger mount also.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
If Phil Soucy did the mount then it is world class!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote