New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Safari tents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking into possibly setting up our hunting club with some safari style tents and a mess tent. Any info on where these type of tents can be purchased.

Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul C - As a Big Game Outfitter in New Mexico, I looked into this same thing a few years back. My search didn't go to deeply as I found they would most likely be cost prohibitive for my operation. The really nice ones you see being used at the SCI Convention in Reno most likely come from places in RSA?? The cost of getting them shipped here was the thing that made them unpractical. I have never found a USA supplier who makes this type of tent and has the style, structure and quality of workmanship to compete. I am sure we have several knowledgeable folks here than can supply more up to the date details. I for one would still be interested in this concept.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of my Trek 10x14 canvas tent with a tarp fly. I like the looks of it and it works well for me but I would consider it a light duty, mild temp, recreational camping tent. There does not seem to be much of a demand for a rugged safari style tent in the US. The climates and traditions are different. A semi permanent set up for the US usually means some type of heavy canvas wall tent with a stove etc..Not exactly the safari look, but comfortable.

You may be able to locate a US Army surplus tent that would work well for your mess tent. These can be found for reasonable prices and they are durable. Mildew can be a problem depending on your climate.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
There was a company in Phoenix that made tents for the mining industry here in Arizona. They were still in business a couple of years ago and still made the same mining type tent (wood half sides and canvas top. I would imagine they could make whatever you wanted. I have an outfitter friend in Zimbabwe and he had his tents custom made, I believe, in South Africa.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Please see Exclusive Tentsweb site .

This is the only supplier that I have seen for these tents, made, I believe, in South Africa. They are not cheap however.

I have spoken to Montana Canvas at the trade shows and believe they might be up to creating something close to the traditional african safari tent, and it may well be cheaper even after custom work.

If you come up with anything better I would like to hear about it as well.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Botswana this summer and will be shipping back a container full of crafts and stuff for my wife's shop which sells African crafts -women's Work. There are two places that make safari tents - Lobatse Canvas and Kalahari Kanvas. I might be able to get the tents for you. If you're interested send me a pm and I'll tell you more.

Peter Durkin
African Excursions

Posts: 44 | Location: New York | Registered: 06 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys they make lots of canvas tents in the USA and Canada and shipping would not be as pricey

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunbug - We realize that but give us a couple of companies that make East African Style tents here in the USA. Names and numbers if you have them. Thanks!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by gunbug:
Hey Guys they make lots of canvas tents in the USA and Canada and shipping would not be as pricey

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to say that one of the camps I was in had tents made in Israel or made in the style of Israeli tents.

Where would you be using these tents?? Are they for show or for go?? Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to set up an African Style camp while hunting Mexico several years ago. After searching everywhere, the only "African" style tents were those made in Africa and you know the rest. If anybody has a source please post!!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Try Phoenix Tent and Awning at www.phoenixtent.com, they have been making tents and awnings here in the desert since 1910. They do custom work.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tents would be used in central ca. where the summers are hot and the winters can get cold but usually not too much rain. I want to have a mess tent and a couple of other sleeping tents.
Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wall tents or sheepherders tents are very common in my state (idaho) here is a web site
http://www.idfishnhunt.com/thunder.html

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote