Find
Notify
Tools

Tuffpak and TSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience taking a
Tuffpak thru airport security and TSA? I travel thru DFW and the TSA always physically inspects each firearm, but in other airports I have seen gun cases sent thru an xray machine....just wondering how the inspection would work if your firearms are in a tuffpak.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
They opened mine in 2005 and x-rayed it in 2007, both at DFW. So, can't say for sure.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
My tufpak made 3 trips to Africa. I ask for a TSA man to come to the counter and they inspect it. and then I locked it and they put a TSA sticker on it at the seam.
In NYC TSA stood by as police checked it and matched serial numbers with my 4457. Then I loaded it back up and TSA put on there sticker.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
After 6 or 7 trips with Pelican cases, I took a TuffPak this past June. I presented at the TSA inspection area in ATL and removed the two rifles for inspection. Well, that's when it got interesting. I had the case full of every imaginable item from clothing to batteries to toiletries to gear to you name it. Most of it was diligently packed in Cabelas Dry Bags and stuffed around the rifles for safe passage. Well, she went through EVERY SINGLE THING in the case, emptied the dry bags, etc, etc, etc.

So, word to the wise, stuff a coat or something soft and bulky in there with your rifles, but do not stick every odd and end into the case like I did.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
See you are never to old to learn. I am speaking from experience.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
My Tuffpack has been to six continents...never had a problem with TSA. Couple of tips:

Try not to overstuff it, you want to keep repacking simple for TSA in case they need to get the guns out for visual inspection.

Also, put your guns in a soft case then put them in the Tuff pack. Do not use skinny sleeves or gun socks as those may not give you enough protection against scratches.

Upon arrival at destination airport do not assume that the Tuffpack you see is yours. They all look the same and more than one may be on the same flight. So have a dummy-proof identifier on yours. Maybe a sticker of some sort that is clearly visible on the outside.

WD40 the wheels every now and then to avoid rust forming.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
My only problem has been alluded to by others here. I over stuffed mine and had difficulty removing the rifle and separate locked ammo case.

I used a well padded soft case which was invaluable when the rifle was stowed in the back of the Toyota, so deffinately plan on using one of those!

I have found Hawaiian and Alaskan airline ticket agents to be gun freindly.

Delta in Atlanta less so, as was customs upon return but no issues w the case itself.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Like others, I haven't had an issue with TSA and my Tuffpak. It even withstood being in lost in luggage limbo with SAA for a couple of weeks. Bad airline. Good kit.

Suggestion: To the untrained eye, it's not clear that a Tuffpak is a rifle case. Hang a golfbag name tag and perhaps attach a country club sticker on your Tuffpak. With some golf paraphernalia attached, it's easy for someone looking to steal weapons to mistake your bag as nothing more than someone's golf clubs.

For mine, I stenciled in big letters a company name on the outside which hints at the contents being engineering equipment. Not perfect, but every little bit might help ...

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best thing I have ever heard of being put on a Tuffpak...customer stenciled in big white letters DISPLAY - PART B
His train of thought was...who in hell would steal it if you did not have PART A?

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I stenciled "RADIOACTIVE BIOHAZARD - KEEP FROZEN" on mine then I glob a little strawberry jam near the handle before each trip. I've never had a problem.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and keep the extra items to a minimum and put your firearms in protective padded cases. It will make taking a TuffPak through security much easier. They're just not going to re-pack with the same care you would exercise.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I have the solex locks on mine and TSA cannot open it, I have always declared everything when I have arrived and asked for any firearms to be inspected while I am arrouind or them to X ray it while I am standing there so if they want it open I can. Never had any problems with TSA on my kit- they open every single other suitcase and I find my kit rummaged though until I started using the tufpack as my only suitcase going to the USA.

Of course, with my green passport I am always 'randomly selected for secondry screening' religiously at every airport...but no problem with the case.

ForrestB...One Zim PH got so pissed off with TSA/ SA customs going through his case he started leaving a dildo with a little chocolate smeered on top, right at the top of all his kit...Case has always been opened, but never searched - Obviously a fudgepacker doesn't resemble the TSA 'profile' of a terrorist or drug smuggler!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
ForrestB...One Zim PH got so pissed off with TSA/ SA customs going through his case he started leaving a dildo with a little chocolate smeered on top, right at the top of all his kit...Case has always been opened, but never searched - Obviously a fudgepacker doesn't resemble the TSA 'profile' of a terrorist or drug smuggler!

animal

I have some foam in the top and bottom of mine, shove a jacket at the bottom, put in the rifles in padded soft cases, and shove a sweater between/on top. That is all I usually put in it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving Albuquerque, NM with a Tuffpak is as follows. Delare firearms are in the case to the ticket agent, open the case, place the unloaded firearms tag in the case, relock the case, agent places case on conveyor, stand by while case is x-rayed or whatever behind the wall and the agent returns with an "all clear" and off to the gate. By waiting for the "all clear" it means the TSA people do not want to look in the case, if they do they come and get the key. Never had them come back for the key I might add. This case is the ultimate way to travel with guns.

Harry and others, I like the idea of posting some verbage or other identifying marks on the outside of the Tuffpack. Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, I noticed that the baggage handlers at Windhoek on an inbound flight didn't recognize a tuffpak as a firearms container and didn't transport it to the firearms check-in counter. I guess the hunter could have picked it up and left without checking it in... creating no end of headaches.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The problem is: Federal regulations prohibit you from identifying the case on the outside as a gun case. So, if TuffPak or you did so, you would be in violation of federal regulations regarding that. TSA could put a sticker on it stating that the baggage has been inspected, but they cannot identify it as a gun case, period.