New
Find
Notify
Tools

jeff rann
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just watched a hunt with him on the show "dangerous game" he was hunting bull elephant about a 20 yard shot while the elephant was running towards him first shot frontal brain shot went low the elephant turned and was killed with the quartering away brain shot.

anyone else catch it?
amazing hunting

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about Jeff Rann, except that his reputation precedes him. I have watched a couple of his hunting videos which were excellent. In my opinion, his videos depict the hunt as it is. No staging or any other bull. One of the best buffalo charge scenes I ever saw was on a Jeff Rann video. Compare his footage to some of the rubbish circulating and it is like chalk and cheese. Jeff Rann's films are good for hunting, unlike so many other wham bam, bulldust and bluster productions.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the show as well. Shooting that .577 is really for the big boys.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

Is this the video you are talking of? I am still trying to download it - internet is real slow here. I found this clip on Jeff Rann's website.

Dave

http://www.rannsafaris.com/images/2007/Elephant%20Charge-Video%20Clip.wmv

One of Us
Picture of JTL 7mm
posted Hide Post
thats not the same video, but holy crap that was one pissed off ele.

HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS!

Posts: 28 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is in my favorites,at the 7:00 mark or so puts elephant hunting in perspective...

Someday, I WILL do this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m23rM2WYl8

dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry David my computer isnt letting me see the video
the bull looked like he was doing a mock charge which he was and jeff then shot the bull went to turn to the left and the second shot finished it.

and yes that .577 is a gun for the big boys rann used it very well

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the same video as a link to youtube that David Hulme posted,see if this works;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quCJrCDvtzg&feature=channel

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the show to. Never have seen or read about anyone taking a quartering away brain shot on an ele. I hate to say it was luck not in any position to question him. It was amazing the ele did not go down with the first shot.
That was an older show, I was told he is not married anymore

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More objective field evidence that it doesn't matter how big the caliber, in this instance the 577, the shot was low enough missing the brain, that no knock-down occured, great follow up shot though. This is pure presumption, but I believe watching Jeff shoot his 450N.E. in other video's that he shot it much better than his 577. I may be wrong in my observation but I believe the video also reveals a flinch of some sorts when trying to pull off the second shot like he pulled the same trigger twice.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
I may be wrong in my observation but I believe the video also reveals a flinch of some sorts when trying to pull off the second shot like he pulled the same trigger twice.

I noticed the same glitch and guessed that he pulled the front trigger twice. That makes the followup shot even more impressive.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Botswana in Aug. of this year. A PH at a ranch I was hunting after my ele. hunt told me.
"I see you shot a Blaser 416. He told me someone somewhere did a timing test on the Blaser 416 and a double 450NE. He said the Blaser was faster on the second shot because of the action and the recoil of the big double. He knew the exact seconds of each, I don't remember what it was. It was news to me and I am not trying to start WW3 just repeating what he said.
I know my Blaser is fast on a second, third and fourth shots but not sure it faster than a double. but since I don't shoot double have nothing to compare.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
By jeff h

I saw the show to. Never have seen or read about anyone taking a quartering away brain shot on an ele. I hate to say it was luck not in any position to question him. It was amazing the ele did not go down with the first shot.

On the quartering away shot on the elephant, it has been done by about every ele hunter with more than one ele to his score. I have personally seen one time, applied as a back-up shot after a botched frontal shot, the second shot, as the bull turned to run, hit just low on the bulge just behind the ear, where the neck joins the head, dropping the bull in a cloud of red dust!

quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
I was in Botswana in Aug. of this year. A PH at a ranch I was hunting after my ele. hunt told me.
"I see you shot a Blaser 416. He told me someone somewhere did a timing test on the Blaser 416 and a double 450NE. He said the Blaser was faster on the second shot because of the action and the recoil of the big double. He knew the exact seconds of each, I don't remember what it was. It was news to me and I am not trying to start WW3 just repeating what he said.
I know my Blaser is fast on a second, third and fourth shots but not sure it faster than a double. but since I don't shoot double have nothing to compare.

jumping jumping jumping

If you are talking about a bolt action Blaser, don't you bet money, you can't afford to loose, on that little tid-bit of information! lol

That is not to say the Blaser action might not be faster than a standard bolt rifle, for the second "AIMED" shot! However the second "AIMED" shot with a double rifle is as fast as it gets!

Depending on the shooters, the third shot might be slower,with a double, but I doubt that even that would be the case with equally skilled shooters!

I think the PH was simply strokeing you a little, digging for a bigger tip at closeing! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac You may be exactly right. He knew down to the 10th of a second, that's why it sounded reasonable to me.
He was not my hunter so pumping me did him no good.

Again not trying to start WW3 with all the double gun guys

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, almost forgot I would be willing to bet the blaser could best the double on 3rd and 4th shots
Your talking about loading and that where you would lose. Tell you what I will clock my time in 4 shots and you clock yours. animal

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
jeff h,

I know a couple of double-rifle guys who'd be prepared to take you on. Depending on how fast you could work your bolt, I'd say it may be a tight call. For the third and fourth shots, that is. Some of these guys can reload a double rifle in very quick time. Certainly no contest on the second shot and that would mean an early lead for the chap who wields the double. Would be an interesting little contest, no doubt.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
jeff h,

I have been talking to a couple of my PH friends. They reckon that if all went smoothly for both parties, you and your blaser would have the edge on the third and fourth shots. But they are adamant that there would be no competition with the second shot - no way could you pull it off faster than a competent guy with a double. My brother says the recoil of his .500 is not a factor at all - it may as well not be there. Bearing in mind that he is a lot larger than the average man!

Anyway, food for thought...

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was an older show, I was told he is not married anymore

I have brained an elephant with a quartering away shot. It wasn't my first shot either.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAVE, NO ARGUMENT HERE.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
jeff h,

Absolutely sir, no argument at all. Just interesting to me, that's all. I'd actually like to see two guys who knew what they were doing have a speed shoot with a double and a blaser and time it all.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill can you give us a little (or big) story on that elephant?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I rear brained with a nearly identical shot on a tuskless in 2004. The first lung shot knocked her down and I rear brained her as she rose.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zzz what caliber rifle was used? and how far was the shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old hunter once told me, and I quote: SPEED IS FINE, BUT ACCURACY FINAL.......

JL

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this John Luyt who went to Saasveld?

Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kayaker, I did go to Saasveld. mail me -john@dukesafaris.com

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey John, ex Pidwa? Guided a 60in Kudu on a H&G Safari?

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Johnny,

Is this the video you are talking of? I am still trying to download it - internet is real slow here. I found this clip on Jeff Rann's website.

Dave

http://www.rannsafaris.com/images/2007/Elephant%20Charge-Video%20Clip.wmv

HOLY CRAP!! Good thing it's tusks were not a few inches longer!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott450, it is the same John. Is this the Ex H&G Scotty?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yip it is, will PM you

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jeff h,

Absolutely sir, no argument at all. Just interesting to me, that's all. I'd actually like to see two guys who knew what they were doing have a speed shoot with a double and a blaser and time it all.

Dave

I am leaving for Maine this weekend duck hunting. When I get back I am going to the range to see how fast I can shoot 2 shots off at 50 yards on sticks and then 4 shots.
I am going to be checking for time and accuracy
I will post my times and tell you what I hit.
LET ME SAY THIS SO EVERYBODY DOES NOT GET THE IDEA I AM POSING AS AN EXPERT. I AM NOT! THIS IS FOR FUN. Maybe someone out there will have a double 470 or better and can post their time.
I will be using a stop watch so I would guess I could be off my 5 tenths of a second, one way or the other. popcorn

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
jeff h,

Dave

I am leaving for Maine this weekend duck hunting. When I get back I am going to the range to see how fast I can shoot 2 shots off at 50 yards on sticks and then 4 shots.
I am going to be checking for time and accuracy
I will post my times and tell you what I hit.
LET ME SAY THIS SO EVERYBODY DOES NOT GET THE IDEA I AM POSING AS AN EXPERT. I AM NOT! THIS IS FOR FUN. Maybe someone out there will have a double 470 or better and can post their time.
I will be using a stop watch so I would guess I could be off my 5 tenths of a second, one way or the other. popcorn

jeff h,

Right on! I am going to set it up this end. I can't do it myself as I don't have a double rifle and would be a pretty poor competitor even if I did, but I will arrange it with someone well practiced. In the meantime, maybe some double-rifle gurus could help us get the show on the road. Any takers? JPK, 500 grains, Bob Glick?

Dave

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Ask newguy - he seems quite handy with the steel.

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Zanni:
Bill can you give us a little (or big) story on that elephant?
JZ, sorry for the delay in responding. I'm still planning to assemble a report...

This hunt this past August in Makuti, Zimbabwe, with my 19 year old son and PH Buzz Charlton. We had tracked and gotten into ele a few times, but no tuskless. This was more of a spot-and-talk hunt due to the terrain (lots of hills), and that is how we got on this ele. We spotted the herd feeding at the base of a hill, and with the bino's confirmed that there was a tuskless in the group. We walked to the hill thru the scrub, and approached downwind, gaining elevation as they were farther up then I had thought.

We were able to work our way parallel to the tuskless, and confirmed there were no dependent calf’s. The herd was feeding, but started to get jumpy as our smell must have been blowing around the hill somewhat. There was a gully separating us, and the closest we could get was 20 maybe 25-yards, which is sort of long for a brain shot w/open sites. Buzz said "You better shoot quickly Bill as they are going to leave". I shouldered the .458 Lott and "saw" the brain as she turned slightly quartering away, head steady. At the shot she dropped and did not move again.

It was a bit hairy as some of the herd was further up the hill and one cow in particular was not sure if she should lead the others including some young down and past the fallen ele, or sort us out, noting the gully separated us so the chance of her getting to us quickly was slim. The rest of the group went down the hill into the scrub and began trumpeting, and after a few minutes the remaining ones decended and rejoined the herd.

The recovery was interesting, but we managed to get two cruisers up the hill...and down in one piece. It was a beautiful sunset and a great view. The .500gr Woodleigh entered the back of the skull where the spine attaches. On a big bull, and/or with a smaller caliber, this might be a riskier shot to attempt. I have been fortunate as I have also taken a side brain shot at a running bull that worked out. Not the ideal shot, but things happen quickly, and all brain shots are tricky for us non-pro hunters.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bill great story and great shots