Find
Notify
Tools

Something Fishy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy,

I am not trying to start any wars but I was hoping someone could educate me where I may be making a mistake in my thought processes.

One of my friends contacted me and wanted my input as to what I thought about a lion hunt in Zimbabwe that has been offered to him. The Hunt is being offered through a US booking agent for a company called African Silwane Hunters who reportedly operate in Matetsi unit 2. The Hunt is for October 1st and the very odd thing is the booking agent has told my friend that although they operate in unit 2, for lion hunting they are allowed to go into any of the units. This sounds very troubling since I have another friend hunting lion in unit 5 at the exact same time.
Is African Silwane Hunters an ethical company or is this all a product of much of the parks corruption that plagues africa? Is this maybe an honest mistake in communications? Is thier US representative full of crap and just trying to make a sale? Is this actually how Matetsi lion hunting is handled now?

Much Thanks for your help,

Ben

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure African Silwane is one of the operators Cabela's has used since the mid-1990s, so I think it is unlikely that it is an unethical operation.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the company- ask who is the PH!!!!

Mrs Dube has the concession and this is her last year. She is not on any Banned list.

The rules for the limited lion quota in matetsi are a bit mixed up..and yes, they can go into other concessions..with permission

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote