Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy in Windhoek??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Will be hunting in Namibia in May 07. The PH recommended "Reiser Taxidermy" Anyone have any first hand experience? Should I mount in Windhoek or ship to the US.

Experiences or other recommendations?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my hides and European mounts done by Reiser a couple of years ago. No complaints at all.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
We had pretty good luck with Reiser too. Just like Peter, we did only skulls and hides (both tanned and felted for rugs). I would use them again.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Did you save money by having the work done in Namibia?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them for all my flat skins and zebra rug on my 2004 trip. My son used them for all his flats in 2005. We really liked using Reiser for everything, and got lots of cooperation from them. Wilko does a fantastic job on all that, and the packing services were properly done. When it came down to mounts tho, we had all of our capes shipped home and tanned and mounted over here. There are too many things to look at and change during the mounting process to risk having it done over there, and I don't think the price savings would be all that great.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One aspect that is often overlooked when deciding to have work done here rather than in Africa is the fact that if something goes bad with the tanning process in Africa there are usually a lot of duplicate capes to replace the ones lost. That is often not the case here and if the work done here turns out bad it is always the fault of the preserving process in Africa and you will owe a tanning fee plus the replacement cost and tanning fee If a suitable cape can be found.

This a predicament I have to deal with now. I have had 5 trips to Africa, two to Namibia. All of the work done there was good. I did have some capes sent back to be done here(eland, gemsbuck, and kudu) all of which came out badly. Now I have to locate other capes as well as pay for tanning twice. I will have to think about this situation very soundly before my next trip.

I am using a different Taxidermist for our trophies out of Zambia. There have been some damaged goods in this last shipment. So damaged that we might have to rethink the work we will do on them.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An alternative is Nyati Wildlife Art, Windhoek. Their email is nyati@mweb.com.na. I just had some work sent there from my latest hunt. Their work on plains game appeared very good. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I am alos using Nyati Wildlife Art. Should be shipping anyday now. The plainsgame in progress in the shop looked good when I toured last Aug. Also as I understand it, they use the big tannery just a couple of blocks away for their tanning.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife toured Nyati in June and was not impressed. She pointed out flaws to our host- he is now using trophaendienste in Windhoek.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Trophaendienste for three hunts. All of our back skins and rugs were done up wonderfully. The european mounts were done very well also. They can be hard to reach at times.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trophaendienste is doing my dip & pack. I'm having all my mounts done here. I compared local prices with Nyati- the price difference wasn't too great, the shipping will be less and I have more control over the quality. Here are sample quotes for standard shoulder mounts from my taxidermist and Nyati:

US taxi Nyati
kudu 995 735
oryx 825 540
hartebeast 750 535
zebra 895 605

total 3465 2415

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I choosed to make the preparation of the trophies and the tannery of the skins that I do not want to mount or the backskins in Namibia by Reiser, and to mount the trophies here in Italy. The shipping is cheaper.
Go with Reiser taxidermy, and spend some time to speak with Wilko Pasheka to take the agreements. You will have also the possibility to see Reiser works directly while speaking with Wilko.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,
I think that if you save some money in trophies preparation, you will pay more in shipping. You should check with some that works in shipping the costs of big boxes not too heavvy and verify the differences. If you need I should still have the price list by Reiser taxidermy.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I give high marks to Nyati also. Very nice work on my trohpies. Everthing as promised and very timely. Their shop is very organized and professional looking

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used both Trophaendienste and Reiser after a dozen hunts in Nambia. Both are good with very fine shoulder mounts.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand by the fact that if the skins are ruined in Africa that they will replace them fairly easily on the commoner animals. That can not be said for work done in the USA. That work is the responsibility of the Tannery not the Taxidermist. I have a lessor Kudu that I would like to mount. The cape was sent to a tannery in Texas. It came out sour and hair missing. The rest of the stuff is fine. Where will I get a lessor kudu skin to replace the lost one and at what price to me?

square shooter

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you need I should still have the price list by Reiser taxidermy.

Steve that would be great. I have emailed them but have not recieved a response. If you want email them to ramrod340@hotmail.com

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This mount is at Nyati Wildlife Art. I really like the way they did it.

mrfudd - I pointed out flaws in Nyati's work to my husband also. He chose to get them done there anyway. I hope they turn out well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAMROD340, I sent you an e-mail

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve I got it.

Greatly appreciated

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Ramrod
I know this will create some criticism from others but I will tell you this. Trophendeinste really mess up all of our work, then Reiser did the same. We are still waiting on A zebra, blesbok, and springbok hides they lost over two years ago. Do yourself a favor and go look hard at some of your local taxidermists and see there work and get a good understanding of the what your mounts will look like. When you get to Windhoek look at your PH's recommendations and you can judge for yourself. Everyone will have a different opinion of good and bad work so see for yourself first hand. Also take into account of the shipping cost between mounted animals or capes and hides from Windhoek to the US and then see the difference. In my experience, I have found compared dollar for dollar, I have been better off with my taxidermsts here in the US. I beleive the qaulity of work is better and well last longer.
Hope that helps, good luck on your hunt

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote