Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best time of Year to hunt in SA?
 Login/Join

posted
I purchased a hunt from a SCI auction for a hunt in South Africa. As of now I can go anytime during 2007. Is there any advantages regarding the time of year to hunt there? I will be hunting in the Mpumalanga Province (near Kruger)
I understand summer takes place from October to April, and winter is May – September.
This will be my first time in Africa & I am drawing on what I have heard and done in the past. Hunting in Texas during bow season – the deer don’t move much in the heat & the pigs move around more at night – I assume to avoid the heat as well.
Second – is there any difference in the quality of the hides going into winter or spring.
Currently I am considering going after – Gemsbuck, Impala, Springbuck, Zebra, and Blesbuck.
Thanks,
Matt

Posts: 27 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in late May in SA, and the temps were nice for hunting, and the cover wasn't so bad that you couldn't see. The later in the season the less water, and the grass is dryer which can sometimes make it easier hunting.

Seasons are reversed in SA compared to the states.

I would go in June or July and you should have a great time.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I have hunted RSA July, August and March.. Early hunt is my favourite so far, if you can handle the heat.. Most of the game seems to be a bit less nervous, especially if you`re of the first hunters of the season.. In some areas you might wanna wait a bit if you`re hunting the tiny ones, because of vegetation.. Ps! I`m not an expert, just my experience.. Good luck!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hunt in June, July or August.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I will consider all your comments when I make the final decision. Initally I was thinking going between January and March. I will adjust that to consider the time frame from end of March through June.
Matt

Posts: 27 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote