THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    European scull mounts in South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

European scull mounts in South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have experience with a South Afican or Zimbabwe taxidermist that does buffalo european scull mounts?

posted Hide Post
I had my buffalo scull mounted by a firm in Zimbabbwe
Artistry, Collets Wildlife
colwild@mweb.co.zw

They did a very good job on the buffalo and the eland. The biggest problem is the size of the crated needed for my sable that pushed the price of shipping a little above what I had expected.

You can also contact the Terry Wagner and he will be able to give you a price and further information on getting the work done. You can contact him at his website.
http://www.wagnerworldwidehunting.com/

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have some experience in this regard. Wink What do you really want to know? Confused

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Euro shield mounts are done by almost all of the taxidermy operations in South Africa, including Life Form, Nico van Rooyen, Andre van Rooyen and I am sure many others. It is a common mount and they all do it frequently. Visit any one of their web sites for detailed information and direct contact information.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought a European (skull) mount was such a simple thing, that surely I could have my skull mounts done in SA. WRONG!! The skulls were boiled to pieces and not cut correctly.

Unless I *know* how a particular taxidermist boils, bleaches and mounts a skull, he won't get my business.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Life Form did an excellent job on my wildebeest, impala, and steenbok Euro shields and I would recommend them to anybody.

I don't have a picture available of the Cape Eland euro shield that Andre van Rooyen did for me but it is also excellent.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with mho, make SURE you see the work or have a reliable reference!

I had 4 skulls boiled to bits from Spirit of Africa taxidermy in Howick, KwaZulu Natal.

Most places put all the skulls in a huge vat and boil them together which means the smaller skulls are boiled too much

Of course this won't happen with any taxi that knows that they are doing.
Cheers,

Gabriel

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had them done in South Africa and the US. In my view there is no comparison and these days everything is done in the US.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I had Alldays Taxidermy in Alldays, Limpopo Provence, South Africa do european mounts for me on five animals and all were nicely done. I do my own for North American game, as it is quite easy.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny,

I have quite few euro mounts without the shields including a couple of buffalo. They are even less expensive than with shields and look very nice. I would think any of the better RSA taxidermist could do these for you and it would probably be the cheapest way to handle them.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Life Form in RSA did these two for me. The wildebeest also has a bone-handled tail swish which is very nice. The skull mounts make nice accent pieces. My wildebeest is in our guest bedroom.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Expect BLACK horns if done in RSA.
I noticed my Texas taxidermist boiled horns/skull immersed in water over butane "cooker". In Africa, the old fashioned way means the cooking pot over fire approach which smokes the horns. (I actually like the visual effect if NOT overdone, but natural horn color may appeal more to you. Saves money but you take risks...

BNagel [earch taxidermy and trophy room forums for my pix if you like]

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I wanted them done in africa is to take advantage of consolidated ocean shipping. I was told by flora and Fauna that they can only ship finished products by consolidated ocean freight. I already have three sculls and one shoulder mount and am considering leaving the buffalo there if I cant find a reasonable solution to high shipping and clearinghouse rates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful mounts, F.K.A.Texas Hunter. Beautiful.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Life Form taxidermy did my Euro mounts for Wildebeest, Impala and Warthog. The all look like the ones pictured, very professionally done.

We also used ocean shipping for our trophies and I believe the cost was somewhat less, but since I havent' airfreighted any that was just my impression. It did take an extra month for shipping.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Is there any tradition or significance to the shape of the shields these skulls are mounted on? Are the skulls themselves trimmed flat on a band saw then belt sanded?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skull preps are best done by using dermestid beetles to clean them. Boiling damages the skulls.

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didnt JJ Hack have a business called Custom Osteo that used beetles ? Dont know if they use beetles in africa or not.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
There are a number of "beetle shops" in U.S. taxidermy circles that will do skulls.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote