Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importation permits - DIY
 Login/Join

posted
I was hoping someone here could help me with info on how to import my own trophies. I live about 4 hours from the Atlanta airport and we are bringing in only plains game - no swine or primates. The last shipment we had cost an additional $600 for storage and paperwork by one of the importation companies and this time I decided to take care of things myself. Good or bad, I plan to give it a try and hope some of those here may help. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Todd.
Good for you! Most import companies are ripping hunters off. $600 to clear trophies is highway robbery. I cleared my first shipment myself. It took a total of 2 hours. That's $300 per hour, not bad. I found a guy in Anchorage who will do it for $120. That's more like it. I paid him to do my second shipment.
You need to fill out USFWS Form 3-177. It's on the net. With no swine or primates, that's all you need. Fill out the form, contact the FWS, make appointment, they glance at the trophies, check the Form 3-177 and stamp it. Take the forms to the Customs office, pay any dutys due, return for your trophies. Your done.
Good luck!

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
You can't do it anymore, Primates and swine are not the only species that have to go to a USDA approved facility, now all ruminants are included. They are strictly enforcing this, if you are not an approved facility then they will not release the shipment to you.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Jerry, last I did it they were enforcing the swine/primates and buffalo, but it seemed subjective reg the other hooved-critters.

Todd - Here is the link to the Veterinary Services' Approved Establishments Search Engine, perhaps (?) one of these entities will work with you to clear and take possession of the trophies, or do it cheaper:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/query-app-estab.html

Enter State apprev for list of all approved facilities in your State (there are 20 in GA).

Generally speaking...In the past I paid (F&F) to have my shipments cleared, and then would pick it up in NYC to save ground trucking charges. However, even after cleared it now needs to be sent to an approved facility. Depending on yout taxi and his setup (if not approved and/or to save on shipping), an option may be once cleared to have it shipped right to the tannery (versus to the taxi who then ships to the tannery in some cases when not local).

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote