Tools

Best All Around Double Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Mickey

If you shoot that rifle at 100 yards with the scope, and without the scope, what sort of difference in group size do you get?

Just interested from an educational point of view.

Nitro

My best group with open sights is about an inch wider at 50 yards. At 100 my open group is about 3 plus inches. This is because of me and not the rifle. The rifle is dead on the bull at 100 with open sights.

The scope group is in the 1 to 1.5 inch range but higher than the open sights. About 2 inches at 100. This works for me

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mick.

That was what I was wondering. The difference from using open sights to a scope. Would be applicable also to a bolt action as well of course.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey
With 81gr. of IMR 4831 300 grain Hawks hit the same place as the 400 grainers with the same powder charge. Velocity is @2300fps.
With 72 grains of RL 15 300's go 2350fps.
400 grain Hawks go 2150 fps
With 71.5 gr of RL 15 400 grain Woodleigh Softs go 2150 fps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mickey
With 81gr. of IMR 4831 300 grain Hawks hit the same place as the 400 grainers with the same powder charge. Velocity is @2300fps.
With 72 grains of RL 15 300's go 2350fps.
400 grain Hawks go 2150 fps
With 71.5 gr of RL 15 400 grain Woodleigh Softs go 2150 fps.

Thanks for the tip. I will give them a try.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You blokes must all have been wearing underwear that's too tight for too long.
I like my 500 Nitro,why would you shoot a double with anything smaller?

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wombat:
You blokes must all have been wearing underwear that's too tight for too long.
I like my 500 Nitro,why would you shoot a double with anything smaller?

Because we can. Big Grin

Hunting with a Double is about more than shooting Elephants and Buffalo. I have a 7lb 303 that will be a blast for Deer and such. My light 9.3 is going to Europe this winter to shoot on Driven Hunts for Boar and Deer. Others here love smaller, lighter and quicker handling Doubles on Pigs and such.

Why carry a 11 lb gun on a Goat Hunt when a 7 lb. one is sitting next to it?

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
If we judge by the poll taken about best all-around African caliber the .375 H&H looks like the winner. What's the best ALL AROUND double gun caliber?

Component and ammo availability aside... my vote is for the 450/400.

Can be built lighter than a 470, less recoil than the truly big doubles and quite enough power to do what a double rifle was designed to do.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
The .470 gets my vote because i think its the best balance of recoil,pentration, and knock down power. Recoil is over looked some times, if you cant get the second one off in under two seconds because of it,you might as well hunt with a single barrel. It also saved my bacon three times. I have a 450-400-3 1/4 its a fine caliber but not up to the .470 in stopping power. The 450-400 was banned in India at the turn of the century and later on the ban was lifted, never heard why though. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Charles

Are you sure it wasn't the .450 which was banned in India (and the Sudan etc) not the .450/.400 ?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX is correct, ANY .450 bore rifle or pistol was banned in India and the Sudan @1905.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mickey1.

A 9.3 is sufficient. Light and handy. Can deal with lion and leopard, correct for buff.
For ele and rhino, one has to use his brain, premium ammo, ..........and a decent PH.

Mickey1

Where will you go in Europe?
Nice to meet You if you hop not far from France, Belgium, Switz or Germany.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz:

Mickey1

Where will you go in Europe?
Nice to meet You if you hop not far from France, Belgium, Switz or Germany.

Slovakia and the Czech Republic in December. Maybe a couple of days around Nurnberg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 NE...Atkinson has it right - overall it's the best...Here are a couple of reasons why:

1) Enough reserve killing power to allow for anything on the planet to succomb to its ftlb energy.

2)Ammo is everywere these days; Federal. Kynamco, A-Square to mantion a few.

3) Re-sale value! A .470 will sell at a higher price and move faster than any other DR caliber out there - at least at this point in time it does.

JW