Tools

Western Buffalo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Ray Atkinson posted the last quote:

Quote:

The Red Dwarf buffalo...These little buggers will charge just for intertainment, not need to arouse them, they stay that way, and I have been charged on sight by them three times in one day, which was quit disturbing inasmuch as I had no gun and was just looking over a concession...Albiet they had been hammered by poachers and that makes buff mean, but they still tend to be much meaner than cape buffalo IMO.....

Is that the experience of those of you who have hunted them?

Here's the picture of the old fellow who I took in 1998. His horns were slap worn out. My PH said that he weighed 50 kilos more than any taken on the concession (Nazinga, Burkina Faso) in 27 years. Of course there have been bigger buff taken in Western Africa, but this old boy had paid his dues!

As to Ray's comments, the stories I heard were quite the same. Lot's of poachers created mean-ass buffalo.... a little smaller than the Cape species, but what's 500 #'s when you're talking about tons?

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
HI JudgeC,
You got a fairly worn off horned buff. Usually, lions get them before they get this old. A rare trophy.
Bwananmitch posted this fellow. Amazing for he is red instead of black, enormous body size, not far from 800 Kg and unusual big horns.This one was not mean. He was killed by the third bullets giving the proverbial death bellow out. We were clapping our backs and cheering when he get up and eased to the long grass, luckily not charging us. No way to shoot, the Africans where between me and him. Eleven bullets were requested to kill him. Burkina Faso, Fada N�Gourma.

They could be mean. A buff from the CAR, Chinko. The hunter killed the buff and then was photographing him when he stood up and charge the respected guide, Michel Coatmellec. One 460GA did the trick but you can see the hunter-photographer was in the shooting line.

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB,
that is an amzing sequence......The photographer had some "cool" blood in his veins to stay focused on the job

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the tracker in the background. I would do more than hold my head if a buffalo was charging!!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote