New
Find
Notify
Tools

405 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If the modern 45/70 is no good for African dangerous game...

Where does that put Teddy's Lion Medicine 405 ?

(Personally never used anything less than a 500 - 3 1/4 NE for DG.)

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
405 winchester if loaded with todays bullets would make a nice D/G rifle.

In teddys day crap bullets crap powder and if you read his memoirs some "irresponsible shooting" on his part made for many lost or wounded animals.

405 is a great round in my opinion.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lion is much different than thick skinned DG. After reading Teddy's book, I saw that all the hype about the .405 was just that - hype. It did not do all that great on the big stuff. Good thing Teddy brought a 500/465 for elephants.

JudgeG of this forum was taking a .405 to Tanzania. Perhaps he will post about the game he took with it and how it worked out.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Did someone say a well-loaded .45-70 is not adequate for lion and leopard? I thought all the brouhaha was over trying to make the .45/70 a justifiable choice for buff, rhino or ele.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16649 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Did someone say a well-loaded .45-70 is not adequate for lion and leopard? I thought all the brouhaha was over trying to make the .45/70 a justifiable choice for buff, rhino or ele.

Bill there are so many different complaints about the 45-70 and Africa from the guys here it's hard to keep up with them all.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Judge has done some extensive changing on his .405, it has a long throat, so it can be hopped up a bit for one thing...

If you can "safely" get 2000 FPS with the 405 then it will surly work on Buffalo, Lion, but would be foolish to use on elephant...At best it would be a bare minimum caliber IMO...

Having seen Cape Buffalo at their worst and up close and personal, I remember the huge size of those red bloodshot eyes and the look in them, the dirt cloud around them as they tore up the ground at my feet; hearing Johan Calitz telling about being tossed in the thorn tree four times as the bull ravaged his body and other stories from the older PHs who have been horned.. Based on that I have no reason to use such calibers as the 45-70 or 405 on the black bulls, I have way to much respect for the big bovines..That stuff is for internet games only....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard they still have a warrant for Teddy's arrest in Africa for using an illegal caliber! hahahaha
(just joking )