New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant hunting by Robert L. Scott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently posted on the aviation thread how the Scott's book "God is my Co-pilot" got me interested in WWII fighter aircraft and led to a flight in a WWII P-40 Warhawk for me last week. That reminded me that Scott wrote another book on an elephant hunt in Kenya. I have a copy of it and it is called "Between the Elephants Eyes". It is his tale of following a legendary monster bull on foot for over 100 miles from Garissa to the Galana River. The bull was estimated to be well over 100 lbs. He finally caught up with it and what he then did when he had it in his sights is interesting to say the least. I'll not ruin the ending for you. I bring this up since in all the talk about favorite safari books this one has never been mentioned, at least not to my knowledge.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
465 Read his book God is my copilot... Never knew he was a hunter.... Thanks...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Don't tell me, the same baloney as in White Hunter Black Heart.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read "Between the Elephants Eyes" when it it first came out and since I was still young and callow, really did not fully appreciate the outcome. Now, being much older and experienced through two wars, can some how identify with him. Not sure I would have done the same but combat affects everyone differently. I think more "Deer Hunter" than "White Hunter Black Heart"

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Don't tell me, the same baloney as in White Hunter Black Heart.

No, he was a true hunter as well as an excellent story teller. The only thing I would disagre with is his choice of rifle.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote