New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparent visual size of red dot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The different moa's available don't mean anything to me. Can someone please explain how to choose?
Looking for sight for tuskless.
So if it appears to be 2" at 10 yards, it could be 10" at 50? Looking at Trjicon RMR.
I guess I get the concept, but can't translate into actual visual size of dot.
Any advice on individual, or range of available moa appreciated.
Thanks, Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Go to a shop that has them, and look through.

Only way for you to decide.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Aim small miss small, you can always brighthen 1 moa dot to make look larger but you cannot make a 2 MOA smaller if that makes any semse.

1 MOA will be at its finest setting 1" at 100yards
2 MOA will be 2" at 100 yards and so on.

I have a 1 MOA very happy with it and normally use it on a brigther setting so that I can clearly see it in bright sunlight.

Some RMR's set themselves I prefer the ones that you set yourself for the conditions.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can hit a lot smaller than the MOA on a red dot. I shot a 2 MOA red-dot on a Ruger 10-22 off hand at 100 yards. Dot totally covered the target, but still broke them regularly. But smaller is better in my opinion.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 2 MOA aimpoints for hunting, I have an H2 and an older but still awesome 9000L. Small enough to be precise but big enough to be very fast.

Also I have an astigmatism which causes red dots to flare, and this effect is minimized with a small dot. Ultimately it’s about what suits your eyes so try as many as you can.

I also have a shotgun with a Shield red dot with a 1 moa center dot surrounded by a 65 moa ring formed by numerous 1 moa dots. This is an awesome configuration for both speed and precision, it just works so naturally for me. I think it’d be awesome on a dangerous game rifle.

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of putting a red dot on my double. Can someone please explain the difference between an Aimpoint and an RMR?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
I am thinking of putting a red dot on my double. Can someone please explain the difference between an Aimpoint and an RMR?

The Aimpoint is the best red dot sight you can get.
I have an Aimpoint Micro S-1 6 MOA on my Webley & Scott .450/.400 3 1/4" N.E. and it works fantastic well. The reason for choosing the S1 is that you can mount it extremely low, the red dot is just 1/4" over the original open sights. 6 MOA would be 6 inch at 100 meters, I dont take a first shot over 50 - 75 meters.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
quote:

I have an Aimpoint Micro S-1 6 MOA on my Webley & Scott .450/.400 3 1/4" N.E. and it works fantastic well. The reason for choosing the S1 is that you can mount it extremely low, the red dot is just 1/4" over the original open sights. 6 MOA would be 6 inch at 100 meters, I dont take a first shot over 50 - 75 meters.

Thank you it that doesn’t explain why it is better. The RMR is smaller and also mounts low. Is there a difference in the way that they work?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Leica Tempus 2 MOA, while I haven't took it hunting yet praticing shows the sight to be very quick on target and adjustment for the dot is in the perfect spot

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank you it that doesn’t explain why it is better. The RMR is smaller and also mounts low. Is there a difference in the way that they work?

Yes, The Aimpoint is the only red dot sight that is fully parallax free, battery lasts 5 years, but 6-7 years is not uncommon. Almost every Special force units around the world including armed forces uses Aimpoint, including US Army, Marine Corps, French Army, Swedish Army, SAS, SBS -you name it.

And you can find funny tests of Aimpoint at Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOyZdnpKs4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...rv=oXdriW3KfwU&t=222

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoints are the best out there and ideal for bolt guns. For doubles the smaller like the Trijicon, Doctor etc are good. I prefer the Doctor to the Trijicon.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
A Kruger NP Game Warden friend is replaceing the Docter on his Heym .450 3 1/4" N. E. double with the new Aimpoint Acro P-2.

You can mount the Acro very low. I would have gone for that if it was available when I bought the Aimpoint S-1.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
After shooting Trijicon RMRs for years now…including one on my .500 NE double…don’t see how anything could be better…maybe just as good…but not better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
After shooting Trijicon RMRs for years now…including one on my .500 NE double…don’t see how anything could be better…maybe just as good…but not better.

For how long last the battery on a Trijicon RMR?

Are they fully parallax free?

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a competitive shooter, I have several of both the RMR and the aimpoint micro and put 30,000 a year through them on pistols (which are much harder on electronics than even very heavy caliber rifles. The recoil impulse is the issue.)

Both are good. The aimpoint is more reliable and much more durable and has a clearer field of view. If I was putting one on an elephant gun I would use an aimpoint with very sturdy mounts. That way when I dropped the rifle on the sight it would still be fine. Note that my carry guns all have RMRs on them. different sight for different purpose. Just got one of the Aimpoint Acro P2. Looks interesting but I don't have any mounts for it yet. (Do Not buy a P-1)

Dot size is a thing that every gets all excited about debating. Any under 6MOA are fine. Few people can tell the difference between 1 and 2 MOA dots and almost no one can shoot well enough for it to matter in a unmagnified optic. A smaller dot can be usually be turned up enough to "bloom" and look bigger.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

For how long last the battery on a Trijicon RMR?

They say 400 hrs. I don’t know that from experience as I have never let mine run that long. I put one on Nigel Theisen’s (Zimbabwean PH) carry rifle and he went through 2 seasons on the same battery.

Are they fully parallax free?

Yes. It matters not where the red-dot is in the lens…the bullet will go where the dot is placed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote