Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted
I was reading stuntpilot2s thread on his 2005 safari (congratulations by the way) and I was curious as to the problem he encountered in his solids being stolen. I am new to the African hunting seen but am trying to plan my first safari. I have heard that ammo must be in factory boxes and combined with stories like stuntpilot2s it makes it seem pretty hard for a hand-loader to use his own ammo.

I have not yet chose an outfitter or even totally decided on what species I’d like to hunt (outside of buffalo). But I’ve made my mind up that I’ll be using my 505 Gibbs with my hand-loads as my heavy rifle. In an attempt not to highjack stunpilot2s thread I’d like to pose a question.

Is it not possible to ship your ammo to your PH? Would this not circumvent any potential problems with baggage inspections, factory boxes, or replacing hard to find ammo?

Thanks for any replies…..

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on country, PH's have a designated number of rounds for their rifle per year as established by the government. Shipping ammo to them can be problematic. You could make arrangements to "rent" or borrow a rifle instead of taking your own - personal choice.

I travel with handloads in after market containers with properly headstamped brass and have not been challenged on this. However, I have a three-rifle travel case and take two rifles and use the third (separate compartment on top)) for ammo and have been challenged by African Customs for not not having a completely separate case for ammo.

These are somewhat "gray" areas.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Many of us have taken ammo without a problem...The reloads can be in plastic boxes and have them labeled and tapped shut...I take my ammo in the plastic boxes and vaccuum pack them....They look really officially sealed....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly, anything can happen, especially when traveling long distances with multiple flight changes. However, I have traveled to Africa annually for the past 12 years. On two occaisions my bags , containing reloaded ammo, arrived one or two days late. Other than those two occaisions, I have experienced no problems other than an over zealous ticket person at Northwest Airlines 4 years ago requiring me to remove two .470 NE rounds in order to satisfy the 2 kilogram rule!!

I have always carried my reloads in plastic ammo boxes and have never had so much as a question. I do , however, tape them closed with good ole duct tape. Hope this helps.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been going to Africa every year for so many years, always using our own wildcats and reloads, and have never had a problem.

We use plastick boxes like those by MTM.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

It seems that plastic boxes are fine and some custom factory loads come packaged that way. I put my handloads in regular factory boxes and that works great also.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSA rules say original or packaging suitable or intended for ammo, or something to that effect. Meaning the plastic ammo baxes are approved. However, some airlines may have different requirements, and certainly some personnel don't know the rules. I suggest going to the TSA site and printing out the regs, and doing the same for the airline you are flying, and carry those with you. Personally, in six international hunting trips I've never had a problem.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of the above.

one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted Hide Post
I think outright theft of your ammo is usually a pretty low probability.

I've only had the TSA pull my bags apart and weigh my ammunition once, and that was flying out of Fargo North Dakota on United after pheasant hunting in 2006.

There have been several instances in the US where I've had to show print outs of the rules to agents in support of what others above have already said. For your hand loads, the plastic MTM type boxes with separate partitions for each round are totally fine to fly with.

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put your ammo in your rifle case with your rifle.
It is locked, only you have the key.

PS. I have NEVER [NEVER, NEVER,EVER] flown without ammo in the same case with my guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Somewhere on this forum you will find printable ammo labels that look really officious...even have a bar code on them! I've used these and vacuum packed (meat sealer!) the ammo boxes. Never had a problem with them in any country I've visited.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by prof242:
Somewhere on this forum you will find printable ammo labels that look really officious...even have a bar code on them! I've used these and vacuum packed (meat sealer!) the ammo boxes. Never had a problem with them in any country I've visited.[/QUO

I've wondered about doing something to that extent....

Thanks to all for the good advice

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever been told by an airline that the ammo must be in a "locked" container - like a small metal or plastic box?

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Continental requires that -- it can be in the same case as the gun, though.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I put my ammo boxes in a lockable aluminum pistol case, and packed it with my baggage. I tied my boot laces to the handle. Not to deter theft, but to make the box easier to find if the customs people wanted to see it. I guess like anything else, they will grab the items that are easy to snatch and hide, and my size 15EEEE boots just made that box a little harder to hide!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Geez Mark, you've got some big feet! Don't lose your shoes while on Safari!