Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe's Best Sable Area
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Where in Zimbabwe do you believe a hunter has the best opportunity to take a mature sable bull and at what time of the year?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Historically . . . Matetsi.

These days, some really good sable (41, 42, 43) are coming out of the conservancies, but they are really limited quota and mostly later in the year.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
If an average over the past 10 years of 39/ 40" with a constant quota of 16 bulls/ year, then Cawston block would be my answer. As said before, you could not beat Matetsi in the ' old ' days....... if price was not an option,.........then I would have to say Zambia.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would safely say matetsi two units inparticular unit 3 and unit 5 the biggest sable out of zim 2009 came from matetsi

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Martin Pieters comment, as well as those that favour most of the Matetsi blocks !

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton of CMS has been taking some great Sable in Makuti.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 707 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Three of us just hunted Cawston Ranch which is owned and operated by Peter Johnstone - we all took very nice bulls -- I would highly recomend this location for sable plus other plains game -- Soon as I can will post hunt report -- just to danged many things on the schedule to do justice in writing to the great hunt we had at Cawston.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alas the two places in Zimbabwe I hunted sable are now in the hands of war criminals.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lemco is not half bad for sable. I saw a couple there that were very impressive.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Second, the Lemco/Bubye Conservancy. Saw several 40+ in May/June last year. Tons of sable in this conservancy.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
A third for sable at Lemco/Bubye Valley Conservancy. I would contact Brent Hein at
www.brentheinsafaris.com I believe he has one left on quota for 2010.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bubye/Lemco Con. is where I would like to chase my bull when I head over for sable..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how big they are, however, Gordon Duncan at doma has some good sable. I have been more interested in elephant, so, have not really pursued them

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mazungasafaris.com/mazunga-species.html

Another vote for Lemco, we were there in 2005.Attached are the statistics.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Who are the PH's for Mazunga Safaris. Impressive stats.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Lemco/Bubye Valley area for leopard in August of last year and saw some nice sable bulls. Jannie and Steve Meyer with Lowveld Hunters also hunt on the Mazunga property.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT, I hunted with John Sharp and be glad to give you whatever info you need.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Another + for Cawston and Matetsi 5. I hunted Cawston and you should take a 40" Sable there. Matetsi 5 has over 40" average. Give Ron Oliver a call, Africa Hunting Safaris, he books for both.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one sable remaining in Matetsi 5 for this year and few remaining for 2011. We normally shoot average of 42" on Unit 5. I have one buffalo and elephant remaining as well. Please visit my website or contact me if you are interested.

Ron Oliver, Africa Hunting Safaris, Inc. www.Africahs.com

RON OLIVER
830-336--3345
234 W. Bandera Rd 310
Boerne, TX 78006
www.Africahs@aol.com
www.Africahs.com

Posts: 76 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only offer this story to annoy sable hunters. SmilerI hunted in Chirisa in '93 (for buff) and while bouncing in a LandCruiser back from a pasture pick up on my way to camp(first day in the bush), my PH pointed out a sable standing in the small shade of an acacia. I looked at him as a fairly large animal with horns that were very long (and he looked black) Beyond that,guys, I was no more excited than looking at the acacia itself.(I had seen elk and moose in Canada even closer up) Yes, I do apologize to fellow hunters. I came to learn in Africa how prized the sable is and what an ignoramous I was in not being excited about seeing one.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote