THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A shocking insight into what Africa has been through

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A shocking insight into what Africa has been through
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As a big game hunter I find this a most disturbing video.

Should this be a compulsory watch for all who hunt(ed) in Africa?

Warning - graphic scenes

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Simply as a human being I find it disturbing.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Pretty much decades old news, anyone who has followed modern African history knows about all of this.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Pretty much decades old news, anyone who has followed modern African history knows about all of this.

So sorry, Im sure this is probably common knowledge. I thought it was rather interesting. The again, I am quite ignorant.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
My take on the film,(I refer to the original full length film which is both beautiful and disturbing. There are several edited versions including a very short version narrated in English. All of the edited versions have one thing in common: they have cut out the beauty and left all of the disturbing portions. The shortest versions are almost total gore and have all the redeeming value of a snuff film.....) anyway, my take on the film is that is provides some wonderful footage for those who already have a solid working knowledge of Africa and its history, but the film will leave the neophyte with a completely warped sense of what Africa is all about.

The film-makers behind Africa Addio are know as revolutionaries of this genre with other "classics" such as Mondo Cane to their credit. They are also well know for their heavy use of staged scenes and twisting of the facts to show what they want to see.

Racists love this movie and point to it as solid proof that their theory of white supremacy is valid.

I can't quite say I "love" this film, but I do love some of the footage and I am blown away by the irony. Every time I watch this film I am amazed that the racists fail to see the irony, but I guess we all see what we want to see.

There is a saying in academia to the effect that "a historical text provides more insight into the period and culture in which it was produced, than it provides about the period and culture it attempts to describe. Africa Addio is a shining example of this phenomenon.

Bottom line: it is worth a watch, but it is about as factual as the "documentaries" produced by Michael Moore.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
bewildered shame

OK, I just spent the last two hours - seemed like much longer - watching that piece of crap. Slow night with my wife outta town. I would bet that during the time it was made - mid-'60s - those Italian wannabe film makers were having a bad trip on some street acid. What was their point? I guess it really can only be viewed in light of the time in which it was made. I was around and old enough to know better. old

Really, you don't need/want to waste two hours of your life watching this garbage. Do something constructive instead, like read BILL STEWART's new book "ELEPHANT and ELEPHANT GUNS"; you'll learn much more useful information. Certainly nothing new to be gained from this film for me.

Jason - What are you doin' up there on the river? Not smokin' dope are ya? Last time I was in Healdsburg was 3 years ago and it still looked like Hippieville. Spent a half hour in the Safeway and thought I was time travelin'. Maybe this "film" was hard to find for so long because it's a piece of dung waste of time with no socially redeeming value! Ya think??? animal

Sorry, but I won't be using you as my go to film critic. jumping

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got through watching snippets of the film.

The scenes where they were shooting impala and elephants were kind of farcical. When the guns fire they have dubbed in the sound with a "twang" just like they did in the old spaghetti westerns.

Half expected Lee Van Cleef or Clint Eastwood to ride in.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBrown:
quote:
My take on the film,(I refer to the original full length film which is both beautiful and disturbing.

Lionhunter:
"it's a piece of dung"
Sorry Lionhunter, but I won't be using YOU as my "go to film critic".
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
OK, I just spent the last two hours - seemed like much longer - watching that piece of crap.

But you did finish it, so I must conclude that you found something in it worthwhile. Maybe the cinematography or the constant irony(intended or not?)...

quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Sorry, but I won't be using you as my go to film critic.

That is probably good rule of thumb for everyone on the forum as I have a pretty eclectic tastes, I even like French films.
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by jcorry:
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:

So sorry, Im sure this is probably common knowledge. I thought it was rather interesting. The again, I am quite ignorant.

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Huffaker. True "Africa enthusiasts" know about the film and the events it covers, but I would contend that 99% of first time safari hunters know very, very little of the history of Africa. And please keep in mind that this movie was very hard to find until about 5 or six years ago. Now it can be ordered on netflix and elsewhere.

My take on the film,(I refer to the original full length film which is both beautiful and disturbing. There are several edited versions including a very short version narrated in English. All of the edited versions have one thing in common: they have cut out the beauty and left all of the disturbing portions. The shortest versions are almost total gore and have all the redeeming value of a snuff film.....) anyway, my take on the film is that is provides some wonderful footage for those who already have a solid working knowledge of Africa and its history, but the film will leave the neophyte with a completely warped sense of what Africa is all about.

The film-makers behind Africa Addio are know as revolutionaries of this genre with other "classics" such as Mondo Cane to their credit. They are also well know for their heavy use of staged scenes and twisting of the facts to show what they want to see.

Racists love this movie and point to it as solid proof that their theory of white supremacy is valid.

I can't quite say I "love" this film, but I do love some of the footage and I am blown away by the irony. Every time I watch this film I am amazed that the racists fail to see the irony, but I guess we all see what we want to see.

There is a saying in academia to the effect that "a historical text provides more insight into the period and culture in which it was produced, than it provides about the period and culture it attempts to describe. Africa Addio is a shining example of this phenomenon.

Bottom line: it is worth a watch, but it is about as factual as the "documentaries" produced by Michael Moore.

Thanks for that perceptive post Jason.

I found the clip very disturbing as this is the first time I saw any of this. I realised that this was decades old and so it was from a much older world view.

I wonder where & how they got the shots of the bones & skeletons strewn around,. I wonder if they were just driving around an area repeatedly & shooting from different angles to give the impression that it was miles of the morbid stuff.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote