New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Sengwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody who have experience with this area in Zim? How are the elephant / buffalo and lion populations there?
Thanks..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have been told the Sengwe area down on the Limpopo river can produce great trophys of Ele, Buffalo and Lion.
These animals move over to the Zim side from Kruger SA but you have to be prepared to hunt very thick areas of Jesse Bush where driving the game out with beaters or spot lighting is common hunting methods of this area.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
Anybody who have experience with this area in Zim? How are the elephant / buffalo and lion populations there?
Thanks..

Buffalo:

Here's a link to a recent hunting report on the Sengwe/Binga area with PH Mark Dewet (www.markdewetsafaris.com). We were there September 2007, and I've included a number of photos. Where we were hunting – Russ Broom's camps in the Zambezi – there were a lot of elephant and leopard, fair numbers of buffalo, but very thin on lion. It's also my understanding that there is a moratorium on lion hunting in Zim for the moment, so you may want to confirm that. If you overlook the paucity of lion, take it from a fellow Dane, it's a beautiful area with very nice hunting!

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/717100609

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sengwe,
I have hunted it and it is excellent, always has been as far back as I can remember..I book hunts there now..In fact I have 2 late season Sengwe hunts advertised in Outfitters and Guides on this forum for $8000 all inclusive...

You will love it is my guess.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Are we talking "Sengwa", northern Zimbabwe adjacent Binga communal area or "Sengwe", south east Zim adjacent Limpopo River, South Africa and Mozambique?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Are we talking "Sengwa", northern Zimbabwe adjacent Lake Kariba or "Sengwe", south east Zim adjacent Limpopo River, South Africa and Mozambique?

Your right. I misunderstood the name - first thought it was Sengwe bordering Gona Re Zhou and Kruger Nat Parks, but it is through HHK so I see it must be Sengwa in the Chirisa area..

We had an option on lion in Tuli first, but it got messed up - dont know why. Then HHK had a lion in Sengwa (must be Sengwa research then...)which we could hunt.. + ele and buff.
Corresponded a bit with Ganyana who informed me a bit about the area which he knows very well. Should be very good for lion and good for elephants as well..

I have not hunted Zim so late in the year before and Ganyana told me it was going to be hot.. Hope it is not too much for a very hot Dane.. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What month are you going? and if you are hunting Lion, this area with its fine sand should be great for tracking them up during the dry later part of the season. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
What month are you going? and if you are hunting Lion, this area with its fine sand should be great for tracking them up during the dry later part of the season. thumb

thumb I am going 3. Oct and 18 days onward..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day Just got back from there yesterday had a great time.I managed to take a great old dugga boy 37"wide 13.5" boss on the fifth day and there was a bigger one that we couldn't see until after i shot!. i didn't want to hunt the heards just old dugga boy's.Saw loads of buff and there are lots of heards to follow but hold out and chase the dagga boy's.There were lion hunter in camp butI am not sure how they ended up.Jacques and Bev that are now run the camps for HHk are doing a great job

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote