Find
Notify
Tools

Wireless internet in Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted
We have a client going to Matetsi Unit 1 in a few weeks. It's imperative that they have access to internet for work purposes. We know ECONET has signal at the camp. Can anyone provide guidance on what air card from here in the States will work. I am not a techy so this ones out of my league. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
tim ,
if its imperative then i would suggest he gets a bgan unit , cell signal in zim is sketchy at best and he may be days without service ..

the bgan unit is VERY easy to use , mine takes about 2 minutes to set up and its pretty high speed , certainly ample for emails ..

i got mine and am serviced by andy cool at explorersatellite , details below ..they are great to deal with ..hope that this helps

Andy Cool
Explorer Satellite Communications, Inc.
1 800-662-2665 toll-free
+1 954-763-8650 direct
sales@explorersatellite.com
www.explorersatellite.com

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Just returned from Matetsi 1. Guys were using Zambian sims cards for their cell phones and going up to the airstrip to get them to work. The Zim cards weren't working reliably at all.

Ivan's suggestion is the best.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been using a BGAN modem on our safaris for the past few years.

The latest unit we have from Thuraya has a wireless function, and very easy to use.

All we need do is turn it on, and everyone in camp who has a computer or ipad can connect to the Internet.

Just make sure you watch your data, as the costs can be very high.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
has to be wireless - they've stolen all the wires Big Grin

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Tim, if he gets his PH to purchase an econet 3G card + phone and buys minutes say $ 50, and there is signal at Matetsi 1, then he can get whats called " Econet Edge " and be able to check emails etc,

I have one and I have skype, facebook, emails and web access. It is not fast so if he required streaming then as Ivan says, he will need a BEGAN unit ( costly ).

Another option is an Iridium access point mail and web, I use one and it does really well. He will need to buy the new Iridium phone and the access point plus minutes ( again costly ).

A further option is a 60 km trip to Vic falls every other day to the internet cafe ( cheapest option )

mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
i believe data on the bgan runs about $6 a meg ...andy will be able to answer more specifically

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You can make a BIG saving on the BGan running costs by making sure you switch off ALL your updates, esp automatic updates before you log on.

One of Us
Picture of RichP470
posted Hide Post
I used a BGAN last year and it was phenomenal. I had a lot of work to do at the time and it let me get away.

It is not inexpensive, but it let me get away. I highly recommend using one. Andy Cool has been great to work with.

Posts: 72 | Location: Saratoga, CA | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With Quote