New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fauna & Flora?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone aware of a company called Fauna & Flora Customhouse Brokerage Co, Inc. based in Jamaica, New York?

Posts: 13856 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. They are one of the big boys in transporting stuff overseas.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have handled each of my four trophy shipments. Each has been smooth.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
We usually use Fauna and Flora but my last batch of stuff is substantially late. And I have made multiple emails to find out what the deal is and have heard nothing for 3 weeks. Upset with them right now.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Goldfinch:
We usually use Fauna and Flora but my last batch of stuff is substantially late. And I have made multiple emails to find out what the deal is and have heard nothing for 3 weeks. Upset with them right now.

For some reason emails seem to fall through the cracks. I had problems last year and no answer again this year. Plan to call next week just to make sure they have all that is required get status update.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They processed my husband's Marco Polo sheep and my ibex from Tajikistan. Matt Mayer at extension 110 was very responsive to questions and excellent to work with through the import process.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I know them well --

The have handled all of my African trophy imports and they have always done a fantastic job.

They're the best in the business IMHO.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with both John and Matt. Top rate company.

Posts: 61 | Location: OH | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent in every way.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
They have cleared my trophies coming through New York since 1995; I have never had any problems.

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Used them twice (2003 & 2005) to sea freight mounted trophies from SA to Minnesota. Absolutely no complaints, they were super responsive to questions and everything arrived at my door in good shape and on time.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my "problem". I've not hired them, so they don't work for me, yet they've tried to inject themselves into the handling of my shipment from Zimbabwe. They are asking for me to complete forms for them. World Wide Logistics tells me Maple Freight from Bulawayo is sending my shipment to Houston. F&F is trying to clear the shipment through New York, against my wishes. I think I know what the "F" & "F" stand for.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Here's my "problem". I've not hired them, so they don't work for me, yet they've tried to inject themselves into the handling of my shipment from Zimbabwe. They are asking for me to complete forms for them. World Wide Logistics tells me Maple Freight from Bulawayo is sending my shipment to Houston. F&F is trying to clear the shipment through New York, against my wishes. I think I know what the "F" & "F" stand for.

They did that to me twice despite explicit instructions to the freight shipper not to. I'm sure they do a fine job if you decide to hire them and pay all their fancy charges. But when you don't hire them and are forced to pay then things aren't so good.

~Ann

Posts: 19542 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've cleared my own shipment after F+F's fancy charges,

Know what?

They earn it,they can deal with it,and the running around from building to building,standing in line.Waiting for a bunch of apothetic gov't employees and freight people who don't give a shit.

And I have more time than money,and live with in a short drive to JFK....

Don't know if other ports of entry are the same...

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you have read, I made my first trip to Africa a year ago, to Zimbabwe to hunt Cape Buffalo. I talked to them a month later at SCI Reno. Matt took the time to explain everything to a first timer. He even walked over to CM Safaris (whom I hunted with) and spend several minutes with Myles getting notes on my stuff. We walked back over to his booth, and they worked up a quote for me. The shipment went ocean freight, into NYC. They send a person over to deal with that disjointed Cluster-F--k we call customs, and got it on a truck. It came to my taxidermist's in excellent condition.
They are not cheap, but losing your stuff is not either.

I am going to Africa again in mid-April. I will use them again.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used them on my first safari and will use them again in a few months. They had better prices
than other options and my trophies were delived to my house by a very helpful driver. Hope thet are still as good as they were in 2005.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just cleared my buddies crate the same way from Bulawayo via World Wide Logistics and Maple Freight, final destination Baltimore.

FWIW, people that have used F and F have nothing but good things to say. There are some us that like doing it ourselves. I've cleared 5 shipments in the last 6 years myself and (knock on wood) no issues. The money saved has gone towards trophy fee's on the next hunt.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
There is a thread that pops up every year or so on F&F.

I used them once and won't again. They are on the east coast but would call me at 5:30 am (PST). I asked them to note I was three hours earlier and not to call at 5:30 am, they did it again- I got a guy with a lot of NY attitude.

They couldn't get it straight that I wanted the trophies to go to our house in California, not NC, as I recall the shipment started out to NC in spite of this, then they hit me with a much bigger quote for shipping to Cali, even though the original quote was for California.

No thanks!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was "forced" into using them on my first safari--IM instructed them to have the shipment sent to Atlanta, not New York, to clear--which only made sense, in that I live in Atlanta.

Shipment went to NY and then trucked down here, at considerable extra expense.

I didn't know any better back then but would not recommend them, based on their actions in the past.

Posts: 69 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
458WM

Your experience is similar to what I'm hearing from others. F&F seem to have good connections in Africa, read that as, paid informants who shift work their way, or allow them to view shipments that are none of their business. I'm used to 3rd world countries, so that doesn't bother me. I do resent companies trying to slide-in to disrupt what would normally be an easy process. Having to pay to have trophies shipped overland from New York to Houston is pure B.S. and they need to be careful they don't lose business over it.

The e-mail I got out of the blue giving me directions how to "expedite" my shipment to New York came from Matt Mayers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used F&F several times. John and Matt have always been very repsonsive. They even met me at the gate at JFK one time with hand carried trophies and yes, for a price, but very reasonable. They make the whole process very simple. I tried clearing my own items one time and never will again! Many phone calls, headaches and screw-ups doing it myself. The Feds are just plain a pain to deal with and many seem to refer you to someone else that only doesn't seem to know or care. For me, I'll go with Fauna & Flora each time.

Posts: 158 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using them for the fourth time. I am really pissed with them at the moment. My leopard was flown to the USA 4 weeks ago. This after a mess I won't to into.

I was told this week that my leopard was now in Chicago and had been held up by USDA!!!!!???? How did it get to Chicago and not clear customs at point of entry in NY? And USDA??? They say that the leopard is on its way back to NY. They are giving me a crock of crap. I am calling them again tomorrow to hear the latest story.

I may not use them in the future. Up to now they have been fantastic.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
I used D&L out of Chicago with great results....

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a response from Worldwide Logistics, saying, in a nice way, to ignore the poaching attempt by F&F, and that my 2008 trophies will clear Customs in Houston as originally planned.

I'm glad I'm taking a break from Africa and hunting Alaska next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out W R Zane, they have an office at IAH

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The folks at WELL Worldwide Logistics are great. I've used them for several shipments without any problems whatsoever. I would object to having someone else foisted upon me regardless of who it was if I had already made arrangements with another company I had faith in. Not to mention there is a big difference in New York and Houston depending on where your taxidermist is!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist is Jerry Huffaker, Abilene, Texas. (I'm guessing Houston is a little closer to him than New York City.) The e-mail I got from F&F was sent to about thirty other hunters with shipments coming, so F&F probably snagged a few people.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've nothing but good things to say about F & F. John and Matt have been 'straight arrow' with me. I'll pay them a couple hundred bucks to get my stuff through the gauntlet of U.S. Customs, U.S.F&W, and the U.S. Ag. Department. Ever dealt with the Center for Disease Control out of Atlanta? Try bringing some baboon stuff in. My suggestion is 'grab your ass!' Matt & John sorted this out for a shipment of mine. Again, it was a couple hundred bucks well spent.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
The e-mail I got from F&F was sent to about thirty other hunters with shipments coming, so F&F probably snagged a few people.

What exactly did Fauna & Flora state in the email?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what is worth we have never used F & F. Our group has always used Don Truley with Coppersmith out of Dallas. Our goods are sent to Dallas port of entry and never have had the slightest hitch. Service and fees have always been to our satisfaction. Our groups shipments are quite a few over the years from all compass points and about half amount from sub-Saharan Africa. I have found using a pro saves us time which is money.

Hope you can get it all sorted out.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote