Notify
Tools

My Turn
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
Folks:

Having my typing capability diminished by 1/10th, due to slicing my left ring-finger fingertip today with one of my hunting knives, this will be short because it's just a tad difficult to type at the moment. Some Super Glue and a finger cot seem to be keeping the blood in at the moment.

I'm leaving on my safari in the morning. I will be driving to Chicago and parking my wheels at Kathi's house -- she was gracious enough to both waive her usual commission AND give me free parking at her and her husband's house, both of which saved me a chunk of money on my travel arrangements.

As nearly all of you know, and maybe some of you newer folks don't, this safari is a gift to me from MANY of the fine folks here at AccurateReloading.com as their way of expressing their thanks to me for serving my country, during my tour of duty in Iraq during OIF1. I left home 23 Jan 03 and returned to American soil on 14 Feb 04 -- the nicest Valentine's Day I've ever had.

I paid for my airfare, on this trip, and that's it. If I mention names, I know I'll forget someone and it is not my intention to insult anyone by omission -- but I have to mention at least a few folks. There was at least one VERY sizeable "anonymous" donation, Saeed kicked in my Cape buffalo, Ray pulled a gazillion strings behind the scenes to bring it all together... the Judge raffled off a beautiful rifle to pay for my zebra and an impala... and so many of you kicked in major chunks of cash to make this happen -- raffles, donations (Melody gave me some of her Long Grass shooting sticks), and just all SORTS of things, from so MANY of you, as your way of saying "thanks for serving."

Well, let me tell you, it's people like YOU who make me proud to do it. And Saeed? I know you're not American, and I don't wear a United Arab Emirates uniform -- but without you, this site would never have existed, people who are friends today would never have met were it not for you, and dreams -- like the one you've helped make happen, my friend -- would not have come true for so many... most especially, for "me."

It's been a long day of last-minute errands, "massive" packing, and racking my brain to think of what I might have forgotten. Frankly, I'm physically beat and mentally exhausted at the moment -- but, before I go to bed tonight, as soon as I post this, I wanted to say "thank you, everyone -- thank you to those of you who made this safari happen for me.

Thank you, my AR friends. Thank you.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Have a great hunt. Funny, I cut my finger quite deeply the day I was leaving for my second safari. Shoot straight and keep you powder dry.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
You have a great time over there. Bring back a bunch of stories and photos.

Thank you for your service!!!!

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Keep that finger clean and have a great time. Bring back PICS!! Of course they never compare to the lasting memories you will carry with you from now on.

Good Luck,

Perf

PS: I am leaving Sunday for Cote d'Ivoire. Good to share the continent with you. beer

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I hope you have a great hunt and many memories.
Now I just gotta get myself over there some day.

Russell what unit were you with? I went over to Iraq the 2nd of march 2003 with the 101st Airborne.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,
Go and have the time of your life. May the buff be long of horn and hard bossed. As Ray once said, "leave your give a shi**er at home" and enjoy the African sun, bush, and stars.

I can't speak for all here, but for myself, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your time, effort, sacrafice, dedication and life given to the duty of our country.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting and enjoy.
Coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Have a great hunt and enjoy your time in TZ.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a GREAT time ... bring home good pics, good stories, and wonderful memories!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Have fun,take heaps of photos

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Travel safe, and have a great hunt!

A well deserved trip!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your hunt, Russell.

How's your Mom doing nowadays?

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Shoot first and ask questions later. Big Grin And don't wait until you can see the whites of their eyes before the follow up shot.

Good luck!

~Ann

Posts: 19555 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting and enjoy every minute from the great sunrises to the great sundowns and sundowners. Keep well.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Russ:

It's an honor to have you in our midst, and I'm excited that you're finally going to become infected with the African hunting bug. Soak it all in and have a great time!

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your letter and your service to this country speaks volumes about you. Thank you. Hope you have a great hunt.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have a great hunt!! Thanks for your service to our country.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Give em hell buddy. Look forward to the return post and photos.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell ----- Sometimes dreams do come true, enjoy your hunt as much as I did last year. Give Pierre' a big hardy hug and Annelli a kiss from me. Tell Twiga, Singoree, Moses, Abdul and the other boys Hi from one of your AR buddies, whom you have never met, except through daily visions with this wonderful site of Saeed's. Africa will welcome and awe you all at the same time, take lots of notes and pictures, because when you get back, there is no way you can remember it all without them. wave beer Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Git-r-done, Russ!

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Best wishes for a great safari.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Please have a great time!

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13012 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Have a great time!!! I'm very happy for you!

-Bob F. thumb

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Good luck, and thanks for all you do for our country.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
Russell
He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!
Shoot Straight
Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel, Have a great hunt. Tell Pierr'e and Anneli I said hello. Since you cut your finger you have to ask Pierr'e what happened to his finger when he was cutting firewood with a hatchet I gave him!!!You guys will look like twins! Tell Mosses to cook something special for you, he makes great pizza! Good luck! Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Russell,

I think what you are going to owe everyone is some great photos and better stories. Have fun and be safe.

Congrats,

Redlander

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Russ:

Have a great Safari... shoot straight and bring home the bacon and pics....

Many of us are traveling with you in our hearts and dreams...

Regards.... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Russ, the very best to you! Enjoy, you have earned it!
beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote