THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Can a Red Lechwe shot in RSA be imported into the U.S.A. ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Red Lechwe shot in RSA be imported into the U.S.A. ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
I'm aware Red Lechwe are not native to RSA. But there are introduced populations of them on several ranches and they are offered.

I also believe they are CITES Appendix II. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the USA will allow them to be imported.

Anyone know for sure if import of one of these Red Lechwe is allowed into the USA?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have done, albeit over 15 years ago. No problem back then.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had not heard they were a CITES animal. I killed one 3 yrs ago in RSA and no trouble bringing him back. Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of SAF
posted Hide Post
You can import them ! There is no issue !

Richard Lemmer
Safari Afrika
www.safariafrika.net
richard@safariafrika.net
USA 480 363 6398. ( DEC to end March )
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages.../310296474391?ref=hl

Posts: 24 | Location: Waterberg Mountains , Limpopo , South Africa | Registered: 04 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Imported one a couple years ago that I took in the Baviaansriver area RSA without any issues. Unless it's changed recently, perhaps the CITIES only applies to the export permit as I wasn't required to fill out any applications for permit.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get them in. CITIES for them involves some paperwork on the SA side, not you. You won't see anything re that, except maybe a surcharge on the dip&pack.

The other thing to remember is that SA red lechwe are considered "Common" lechwe by the record book (at least SCI's). They have been interbred with the Kafue Flats species in some places there to grow a bit bigger. If you are not a record book guy, its no issue; if you are, then it just has to go in the right category.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
YES

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I imported one from RSA just a few months ago. NO issue, and as mentioned I didn't see any paperwork or become aware of any restrictions.
Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one coming from the Caprivi area of Namibia. I am told it is just CITIES, and getting a quota established in the area it is to be hunted, which for us was harder than the CITIES paperwork.

Good luck, post a nice picture of your succesful hunt!

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 351 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
You can get them in. CITIES for them involves some paperwork on the SA side, not you. You won't see anything re that, except maybe a surcharge on the dip&pack.

The other thing to remember is that SA red lechwe are considered "Common" lechwe by the record book (at least SCI's). They have been interbred with the Kafue Flats species in some places there to grow a bit bigger. If you are not a record book guy, its no issue; if you are, then it just has to go in the right category.

Thank You. You have confirmed what I believed Appendix II would entail. Thanks also for the distinction of "Common" Versus "Red". Good information.

My main concern was if import was allowed. CITES is no guarantee of that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a bit of background on the need for CITES permits from the exporting country. After I took a Kafue lechwe with Andrew (fairgame), in Zambia, a check revealed the Black Lechwe as an Appendix II animal. I called Inspector Cockey at FWS office, Baltimore-Washington Int'l Airport. She noted that all Lechwe must have the permits. It's apparently too easy to confuse the lechwe species for the uninitiated.

Was no problem to import and the critter's rug is among other rugs in my den and the skull on a shield prominently displayed.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of infinito
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigGuy:
I'm aware Red Lechwe are not native to RSA. But there are introduced populations of them on several ranches and they are offered.

I also believe they are CITES Appendix II. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the USA will allow them to be imported.

Anyone know for sure if import of one of these Red Lechwe is allowed into the USA?

Hello my friend,

We have imported them for our clients into the USA without any problems!

Regards,

Charl

Posts: 2018 | Location: South Africa,Tanzania & Uganda | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charl!