THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Message Received From Barry van Heerden

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Message Received From Barry van Heerden
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have received the following email message from Bary van Heerden, who asked me to post it for your information.

16TH NOV 2004

HI PIET

AFTER MEETING WITH YOU AT DANDARO, I WENT HOME AND HAD A LONG THINK ABOUT OUR MEETING, TO TELL YOU THE HONEST TRUTH, I WAS ABSOLUTELY GOB-SMACKED, WHEN YOU ASKED ME FOR THE TROPHY FEES ON THE BUFFALO…I FULLY AGREE TO PAY FOR THE ZEBRA THAT WAS TAKEN BY MR. JACKSON. MR. DICKENS DOESN’T WANT ANY TROPHY FROM THE HIPPO COW SHOT FOR CHUMA-CHATU FOR THE TOURISM DAY CELEBRATIONS.

I HAVE MET AND DISCUSSED AT LENGTH WITH STEVE, AND ALSO REBECCA. AS THIS ISSUE INVOLVES BOTH OF THEM, AS THEY BOTH SPOKE TO YOU ON THIS ISSUE. STEVE TO ARRANGE THE FIRST ROAD CONTRACT OF 30 DAYS, AND THEN REBECCA, WHO ASKED YOU IF THEY COULD RENEW THE CONTRACT FOR A FURTHER 1 MONTH, SAME DEAL AS THE FIRST CONTRACT, AS THEY NEEDED ROADS OPENED TO THE NEW FLY-CAMP AT NYAMAROMBWE, AS WELL AS A ROAD CONNECTING THE NEW FLY CAMP, TO NYADEVE AND HOPEFULLY FIND THE OLD CUT-LINE ETC..I WAS HUNTING WITH CHESTER MJOLNESS, WHEN YOU CAME UP TO HUNT WITH PETER KOEBISCH. REBECCA ASKED ME ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, PLS START THE ROAD…GET THE GANG, AND GET STARTED ETC…I EXPLAINED TO HER, THAT SHE SPEAK TO YOU AND GET THE GO-AHEAD, BUT THAT I WANTED YOU TO GIVE ME THE GO AHEAD PERSONALLY. WHICH YOU DID, IN FRONT OF THE PARKING AREA AS YOU AND AMANDA WHERE LEAVING TO DRIVE BACK TO HARARE/SOUTH AFRICA. I THEN SPOKE TO REBECCA, AND SAID THAT YOU HAD GIVEN ME THE GO-AHEAD, AFTER WHICH I GOT MY DRIVER, TO DRIVE INTO TOWN, COLLECT ANOTHER 4 DRUMS OF FUEL, AND FOOD ETC FOR THE ROAD GANG. WITHIN 48HRS OF YOU LEAVING CAMP, HE HAD RETURNED AND WAS OPENING THE ROAD TO THE FLY-CAMP SITE, UNDER INSTRUCTIONS FROM STEVE.

IF YOU REMEMBER, STEVE PHONED YOU A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE FIRST HUNT OF THE SEASON, SPANISH CLIENT SANTIAGO, WHO HUNTED WITH MARC. THE PROPOSAL FOR THE ROAD OPENING WAS, I WOULD SEND MY VEHICLE DOWN INTO THE AREA, MY GUY WOULD HIRE 6 CASUAL LABOURERS, AND GET ON AND OPEN THE ROADS, WITH 1 CAMP TRACKER TO SHOW THEM THE ROADS, AND WHERE TO GO ETC… I EXPLAINED TO STEVE, THAT IF I WAS ``GIVEN`` 1 BUFFALO, I WOULD SPEND A WHOLE MONTH OPENING ROADS FOR THE COMPANY. TO PUT IT INTO LAY-MAN TERMS, I EXPLAINED TO STEVE, BUY GIVING ME A BUFFALO, THE COMPANY WAS IN ACTUAL FACT ONLY OUTLAYING US$900 TO HAVE THE ROADS WORKED ON AND OPENED FOR THAT PERIOD OF A MONTH.. I WOULD OUTLAY AND PAY FOR EVERYTHING ELSE. THROUGH OUT THESE TWO MONTHS ROAD OPENING.

THE FLY-CAMP DEAL WAS ARRANGED, AS PER THE FAX I SENT DOWN TO YOU ON THE 10TH JULY 2004, STATING THAT I WOULD DO IT FOR EITHER 2 MORE BUFFALO BULLS/ OR A TROPHY ELEPHANT IF IT WAS AVAILABLE. {WHICH I WAS TOLD IN AN SMS FROM YOU THAT IT HAD BEEN ALREADY SOLD, AND THAT YOU WOULD GIVE ME 2 BUFFALO BULLS INSTEAD) A MONTH AFTER THIS, I WAS CONTACTED BY STEVE ASKING IF I WANTED THE TROPHY ELEPHANT…AND I EXPLAINED TO HIM THAT MY CLIENT, HAD ALREADY BOOKED A HUNT IN BOTSWANA, AFTER I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD BEEN TOLD BY YOURSELF THAT THERE WERE NO ELEPHANT BULLS LEFT!!

IN MY FAX TO YOU I STATED THAT YOU WOULD GET FULL TROPHY FEES FOR THE BULL ELEPHANT, I KNOW THAT A TROPHY-BULL’S TROPHY FEE TO THE GOVERNMENT WAS AROUND US$5000. (I WOULD SELL THE HUNT FOR WHATEVER REASONABLE DAILY RATE I COULD IN ORDER TO MAKE SOME MONEY, INSTEAD OF THE COMPANY HAVING TO HIRE/BUY EQUIPMENT.) WE WAITED FOR 2 WEEKS FOR YOUR TRUCK TO BE ROAD LEGAL, EVENTUALLY I CONTACTED LEONA AND STEVE AND SAID THAT THE DEADLINE FOR OUR DEPARTURE WAS 15/16TH JULY! IF WE WERE TO GET TO TANZANIA, COLLECT CAMP EQUIPMENT AND RETURN WITH IT TO MOZAMBIQUE, AND HAVE IT ERECTED BEFORE THE ``CHANGE OF CAMP`` WHEN THE 4 SPANIARDS AND WIVES WERE DUE INTO CAMP. LEONA TRIED TO ARRANGE A TRUCK, WITHOUT SUCCESS, THE ONE THAT WAS TO BE AVAILABLE THROUGH HER CONTACT WAS IN THE REGION OF US$500 PER DAY. EVENTUALLY I PHONED A FRIEND OF MINE ON THE 23RD OF JULY, AND ASKED IF HE WOULD HIRE US HIS TRUCK, WHICH HE AGREED TO…THE WHOLE TIME I WAS PUSHING LEONA TO GET YOUR TRUCK SORTED OUT!! THAT NIGHT OF 23RD JULY I SPOKE WITH LEONA, AND SAID IF I DIDN’T LEAVE THE FOLLOWING MORNING, BEING THE 24TH JULY. I WAS CANCELING THE TRIP, AS WE HAD CUT IT TOO FINE!!!

STEVE AND LEONA SPOKE WITH ME, AND WE DECIDED TO GO THE FOLLOWING MORNING, AS THE COMPANY HAD NO MONEY TO PURCHASE THE REQUIRED EQUIPMENT OR HIRE EQUIPMENT FROM ROONEY’S (WHICH FOR A FULLY EQUIPPED CAMP FOR MIN 6 PEOPLE WOULD COST THE COMPANY IN THE REGION OF US$1000 PER DAY…EQUIPMENT WLD HAVE TO BE TAKEN AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE THE CLIENTS ARRIVAL DATE, AND THEN TAKEN DOWN ABOUT 5-7 DAYS AFTER THE CLIENTS DEPARTURE DATE, WHICH WOULD HAVE MEANT THE COMPANY WLD HAVE HAD TO HAVE HIRED THAT ROONEY’S EQUIPMENT FOR THE BEST PART OF A MONTH)

I WENT AHEAD AND HIRED THE TRUCK, AND GOT THE EQUIPMENT TO MOZAMBIQUE. AS THE COMPANY TRUCK WASN’T LEGAL TO CROSS BORDERS OR BE ON THE ROAD BY THE TIME 23RD JULY CAME! STEVE DID A GREAT JOB GETTING THE CAMP SET UP, EVEN THOUGH WE WERE 15 DAYS BEHIND SCHEDULE!!!! WE ALL ARE AWARE OF THE COMPLICATIONS THAT FOLLOWED WHEN THE CLIENTS REFUSED TO MOVE/CHANGE CAMP ETC…

I HAVE SPOKEN AT LENGTH WITH BOTH STEVE AND LEONA, AND THEY AGREE I WAS TO BE GIVEN BUFFALO IN LIEU OF PAYMENT FOR ROADS, AND THE FLY-CAMP DEAL. IF YOU ARE INSISTING I MUST PAY FOR THESE BUFFALO, THEN I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO THEN PRESENT YOU WITH AN INVOICE FOR PAYMENT FOR ALL AND EVERYTHING I DID TO HELP YOU OUT WITH DURING THE SEASON WHICH I WASN’T GOING TO DO, BUT YOU HAVE LEFT ME LITTLE CHOICE…I WILL BE COMPILING A DETAILED LIST / AMOUNTS DUE FOR: -

• MY PETROL CRUISER/DRIVER WAS IN CAMP AND AT THE COMPANIES DISPOSAL FOR 4 MONTHS (JULY-OCT) IT WAS USED REGULARLY TO FETCH/DROP GAME SCOUTS, FETCH FIREWOOD, CARRY STUFF TO AND FROM THE FLY-CAMP, DISTRIBUTE MEAT, ETC..
• SATELLITE / CELL CALLS AND E-MAILS TO LEONA FROM CAMP, AND PHONE CALLS IN HARARE TO LEONA / OFFICE HELPING ARRANGE AND CO-ORDINATE RUNNING OF THE CAMP ETC..
• SPECIAL TRIPS MY DRIVER AND CRUISER MADE TO HARARE – CAMP – MAHUWE / ETC..CARRYING FUEL/SUPPLIES ETC, TO KEEP CAMP GOING. (A MINIMUM OF 7-10 TRIPS FROM CAMP INTO HARARE AND BACK)
• SEVERAL LOADS OF 2003 TROPHIES THAT WERE IN CAMP AND NEEDED TO GET TO HARARE (3 TRIPS!!)
• 4 MONTHS WAGES FOR MY MECHANIC (WHO KEPT WATER PUMP / LIGHTING PLANTS/MTA CRUISER GOING, IN ADDITION TO DAY-DAY REPAIRS AND JOBS HE DID AROUND THE CAMP/FLY CAMP

ON BOTH MY OWN HUNTS, I BROUGHT COMPLETE CAMP SUPPLIES OF MY OWN INTO CAMP, DIESEL / PETROL (OF WHICH A TOTAL OF 120 LITRE’S OF DIESEL WAS STOLEN OUT OF MY VEHICLE, ON 2 DIFFERENT OCCASIONS, BY DRAINING MY TANK THROUGH THE DRAIN PLUG UNDER THE VEHICLE. BILL WAS MADE AWARE OF THIS IN CAMP. ) ALL DRINKS/ FRESH VEGETABLES/MEAT/ ETC…THESE SUPPLIES WERE PUT INTO THE KITCHEN, AND USED BY ALL IN CAMP, INCLUDING YOUR CLIENTS. THIS WAS NOT A PROBLEM, AS I DIDN’T WANT TO BE PETTY AND KEEP MY SUPPLIES SEPARATE, AND HAVE DIFFERENT MEALS PREPARED ETC, WHEN THERE WERE OTHER CLIENTS IN CAMP…I CAN CLEARLY SEE NOW THAT ALL THE HELP I GAVE TO THE CAMP / COMPANY THROUGH OUT THE SEASON, HAS BEEN FORGOTTEN ABOUT OR TAKEN F0R GRANTED…? IN ORDER TO GET THIS INTO PERSPECTIVE, ASK ANYONE WHO WAS IN CAMP OR INVOLVED WITH THE CAMP THIS SEASON.

I TRUST THIS CAN BE RESOLVED

KIND REGARDS

BARRY

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Saeed, is there any backstory to this that I might not know of?

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
He sent me the same ramblings. I have no idea what he is trying to prove.

I guess since Piet and I implicated him in the "reporter incident" he felt it was best to continue his smear campaign.

This is truly pathetic ...

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Mr. Hougaard didn't beat him up yet?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I want as part of my contract that Barry will be now where near the safari area while I am there!! thumbdown (although it could be an interesting altercation).

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusino:
Saeed, is there any backstory to this that I might not know of?

There have been a number of reports that have been critical of Barry van Heerden. Whether any of them is true or not I have no idea.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
So Mr. Hougaard didn't beat him up yet?

I thought Paul Zorn was the one that was supposed to beat him up. bewildered

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Maybe we need yet another FORUM created /// PH disputes and other miscellaneous rumours ....

OR much easier does this thread nowwarrent a (transfer) to the miscellaneos political crap bulls..t carmello slot boohoo

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am only guessing he is replying to this

(He said, "There is this (guy) who wants my area and he is trying to stir up trouble for me. He planted this bug in this reporters ear about this export tax to cause trouble for me. He is on the run, but if I catch him, I am going to ... " ... well, you get the picture.

"He brought a client into my camp last year and he never paid me. He snuck into camp at another time and stole the trophies that the client shot. He took them across the border into Zimbabwe illegally. There are charges against him for this."

I asked him, "Piet, who is this guy?"

"Barry Van Heerden.")

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I noticed that Barry van Heerden has several hunts recently listed on the Hunting Report Bargain Board....

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I was told by several people, whom I consider to be honest, many years ago to stay away from ALL the Van Heerdens, especially JJ.

I now consider that to be good advice!

Like Peter, I think this would be better moved to the gossip column!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this thread is relevant to big game hunting in Africa so i vote it stays here.

The Van Heerdens brothers have obviously heard about AR and the "gossip" that is going on and surely have the capacity to post here and "defend" the allegations. Let them do it.

If such threads help in bringing awareness to AR members of poor outfitters then it is part of the purpose of this forum

Right now, in my books, the odds are stacked against them

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Oh well

Seeing that this thread is still alive and kicking and somewhat of novelty interest to some participants !! I thought it might be appropriate to produce an ( Introductory Dance ) which can be performed just prior to the BIG FIGHT ...

This chap does not come cheap so if there are any interested in some well deserved sponsorship for this chap [ Herman the German ] AKA ( Aged Booking Consultant ) maybe I can work on the difficult logistics and get him out to Africa to be RING ANNOUNCER ....

Lets get ready to runmbbbbbbbbbbble ......

The Big Fight - Introduction Movie ... You will need broadband or high speed internet to appreciate it

Happy days beer (-:

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote