New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Scope For A .375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a favorite scope for hunting buffalo?

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Leupold 2.5x-8x.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All round use - 2.5x8 Leupold

With moderate emphasis on DG - 1.75x6 Leupold

With heavy emphasis on DG - 1.5 x 4.5 (or 5) Leupold w/ heavy duplex option.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like either a 2-7 or 1-4 leupold on a .375 myself.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1.75X6X32 VXIII. Used it at ranges from 250 yards down to spittin' didtance. Works great, great eye relief too. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good choices! I've used them. The little 2.5x is good too, if it covers the long shots for you but most .375's are multi-purpose rifles. While the 2.5x8 is one of my favorites, the erection systems of some of the lower priced models are not nearly as sophisticated and may well be more recoil resistant.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a Leupold 2x7 VX II for the first few years. It worked fine. Upgraded to a Leupold 2.5x8 VX III a couple of years ago for more brightness. Both scopes have handled hundreds of shots without a hitch.

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of the Leupold VX-III in 1.5 x 5 with a duplex reticle. I don't believe I'll use the .375 H&H after the buffalo unless I take on moose / eland size game, or other DG. I have Leupold's 3 x 9 and 6 x 18 on other rifles. Maybe the 1.5 x 5 gives me the whole "band-width", 1.5 x 18. Makes sense to me. Thanks for the ideas.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Kensco
Sounds like you bailed on the Stone Sheep hunt for buff?
Myself I am a fully afflicted sheepaholic...Only cure
The Slam.

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two scopes set up for my 9,3x74R Chapuis. One is a Leupold 2.5x8 with heavy duplex. The second is a Swarovski 1.6-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle. I like this scope the best. It is kind of pricey but it works real good in deep cover and low light. It is just the thing for lion, leopard and black bear over bait.
Works good for pigs at night too.
I like this scope so well that I plan to put one on my 375 and my 308.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Leupold 2.5x-8x.

George

I was going to say exactly the same. Seems lefties think alike

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 1.5x6x42mm Swarovski (30mm Pro Model) with the "circle-dot" reticle. Tremendous field-of-view and the "circle-dot" reticle, also know as the "battue" is about as fast a reticle as you can use and it's great for running shots. It's only draw back is the dot in the center covers up a lot of an impala at 200 yards.

Schmidt & Bender makes a similar model where the dot is smaller...but the S&B is a bit more expensive.

To me, the 1.5x6x42mm is the perfect scope for a 375 H&H no matter where you hunt.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Vari X III in 1.75X6. I use them on all of my rifles and have shot past 400yds with them and 4 feet equaly well. They are absolutly clear at zero distance and good enough for long range shooting as well. A very useable scope!

one of us
posted Hide Post
JeffP

Got to move on; feel like I'm running out of time. After the buffalo I can see myself becoming a fisherman; or maybe a Bighorn after that, then become a fisherman.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Kensco

I would go for the Leupold VX-III in 1.5 x 5 and get it with a 30 mm tube for maximum light transmision. Then you can also use the set-up in poor light hunting situations.
I have a Leupold VX-III in 1.5 x 5 30 mm tube with Ill. recticle and I like it alot.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote