New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gabon is opening in 2024
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw this in a booking agent's newsletter.

We are pleased to announce the re-opening of Gabon for 2024. For rainforest hunters, this is great news. Liberia is closed and Gabon ascends to the top spot for collecting a variety of duikers, including blue duiker, bay duiker, Peter’s duiker, Gabon duiker, black-fronted duiker, and the most coveted yellow-backed duiker. Dwarf buffalo, red river hog and sitatunga are also available. Hunting will begin mid-March and end in mid-September. We offer 10-day and 13-day hunts. Quotas are limited, so early booking is recommended.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how last night's coup factors in...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9588 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Military coup going on, best not send any deposits.

Posts: 58 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Africa will be for the Africans". Translates to, give africa a chance to screw up any chance at a good outcome and it will.

Posts: 1480 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow... got Bob's email and was considering it as a possibility for a cool adventure. Now, not so much!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shit in a hand bag?? That’s the message I received. Whatever that means???

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been watching FLIGHT RADAR.

Which shows flights in the air.

Gabon has been empty.

Any country with political instability should be avoided.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67079 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, someone was trying to convince me to go to Chad. It was a little hot then but not terrible. I raised the security issue and in an attempt to convince me to go, the outfitter said that Chad had the highest concentration of French troops of anywhere in Africa. I figured they weren't there on holiday. I didn't go.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Years ago, someone was trying to convince me to go to Chad. It was a little hot then but not terrible. I raised the security issue and in an attempt to convince me to go, the outfitter said that Chad had the highest concentration of French troops of anywhere in Africa. I figured they weren't there on holiday. I didn't go.

My sister been in Chad the last 3 months we met up in Greece last week, not so impressed with Chad rotflmo

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure Ghana isn't much better at least right now.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Gabon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

A friend hunted Chad this year and had a great hunt. Said there were no safety issues. He did some due diligence prior to booking and felt good with the situation.

Posts: 802 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I was in Zambia during the coup. The African news was making it sound like the president’s own guard turned on him after he stole the second election in a row.

His family had been in power for half a century. He was not popular and in typical African fashion, rigged the election.

France had been propping him is as he was trading Gabon’s resources for their support.

Who knows what is true…

But watching his plea for help during his house arrest makes me believe that the coup was justified.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still wouldn't send a deposit at least until his successor has spoken on the reopening.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I received this in a booking agent's newsletter today.

The country has stabilized after the recent military coup and all has returned to normal. In fact things are better – at least for hunting. One of the partners in the safari company has been appointed Deputy Minister of the Interior, which assures us of all the permits we will want! We are pleased to announce dwarf crocodile and water chevrotain have also added to the game list, which also includes: blue duiker, bay duiker, Peter’s duiker, Gabon duiker, Ogilby’s duiker, black-fronted duiker, and the most coveted yellow-backed duiker. Dwarf buffalo, red river hog and forest sitatunga are also available. Hunting will begin mid-March and end in mid-September.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
which assures us of all the permits we will want!

“All we want” eh? Sounds like a long term strategy Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CAR was stable up to the time it was not anymore. french troops cannot guarantee anymore the safety of anyone. thinking differently will attract you some bad issues ...

Posts: 1749 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
CAR was stable up to the time it was not anymore. french troops cannot guarantee anymore the safety of anyone. thinking differently will attract you some bad issues ...

I hunted CAR in 2012, during a relatively safe political climate. Even then, Joseph Knoy and the LAR were being hunted where we were. The CIA had agents in the bush hunting him.

These oddly politically unstable African nations will never be as stable as say, Tanzania or Zambia. You’re taking your chances traveling and hunting those hot-spots

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3408 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some savvy words from someone who knows Smiler

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote