New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawsuit to make Elephant a person
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There is a lawsuit filed in New York over a zoo elephant that seeks to establish personhood to the elephant.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm quite confident that the elephant would test more intelligent than the vast majority of New York voters, but it's still not human.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it 1st of April already?

quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'm quite confident that the elephant would test more intelligent than the vast majority of New York voters, but it's still not human.

Big Grin

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is real.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not surprised at all.

Read a few days ago either in the UK or the US, a school had put a car litter in the classroom because someone apparently identifies as a cat! Confused

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
This isn't really about that zoo elephant. That is just a front. If they can get one court to grant personhood to one elephant they will try and use it in the US as a precedent to expand to all elephants. Then hunting elephants becomes "murder".

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
There's never an end to sheer idiocy and lunacy! thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I know a PH that I think identifies as a cat. He knows what they want to do before they do.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2

Especially since New Yorkers will only vote for donkeys! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I don't see a problem with making a declaration of personhood for the elephant, the problem will be deciding if it is going to be gender fluid. It will be bloody expensive to build a female and a male toilet for it so it can answer natures calling with dignity depending on what gender it chooses to be on any given day or any given time.
Maybe simpler to make it gender neutral but then again who are we to decide, that elephant must be given the opportunity to exercise it's rights as a person to make it's own decisions.

There are some absolute fuck wits in this world today and they're only getting louder.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine of we have no lawyers?

How wonderful life would be? clap

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Actually, Saeed, it’d be even better if we had none of these illogical leftists. They give liberals a bad name.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
True my friend.

But, we have always known how to deal with idiots.

Now they get a lawyer and go to court, so everyone is a loser.

Getting rid of lawyers will solve 95% of the problems we face today! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are some absolute fuck wits in this world today and they're only getting louder.

We can only thank our Politicians whom we voted into positions that were able to pass controversial Bills unheard of when most of the world was straight thinking.

I have no grandchildren .... thank God!

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everyone likes to blame the lawyers.

But not the plaintiffs?

There’s plenty of blame to go around, believe me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, having a loser pays system, with the lawyer liable if his client is unable would solve 99.9% of this.

In this case, prior case law clearly states this is not the law.

If HSA or whoever had to pay for this defense, then they would suddenly stop this kind of nonsense.

Like Russia, hit them in the bank balance and this goes away.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed hates all lawyers and Shakespeare said first kill all the lawyers. But I suspect that Saeed himself has lawyers and this reminds me of an old genie joke.

A guy walking on a beach finds a vase and as he's cleaning it off, he frees a genie who has been imprisoned for 1,000 years. The genie thanks the guy profusely and offers him three wishes as a reward.

His first wish is that his ex-wife be miserable with her new husband. The genie says, your wish is granted. He said he hated all lawyers because his ex-wife's lawyer screwed him with alimony and his own lawyer charged him a whole lot of money.

His second wish is that the world no longer had all those horrible lawyers. The genie said, Poof! There are no more lawyers left in the world.

So the guy says ok, for my last wish, I want a billion dollars. The genie says no way. I'm not going to give you a billion dollars. The guy says, "But you promised."

The genie says, "So sue me."

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
We will probably start paying him or his significant other Medicare and Social Security. I really want to see him work his Obama phone.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed hates all lawyers and Shakespeare said first kill all the lawyers. But I suspect that Saeed himself has lawyers and this reminds me of an old genie joke.

A guy walking on a beach finds a vase and as he's cleaning it off, he frees a genie who has been imprisoned for 1,000 years. The genie thanks the guy profusely and offers him three wishes as a reward.

His first wish is that his ex-wife be miserable with her new husband. The genie says, your wish is granted. He said he hated all lawyers because his ex-wife's lawyer screwed him with alimony and his own lawyer charged him a whole lot of money.

His second wish is that the world no longer had all those horrible lawyers. The genie said, Poof! There are no more lawyers left in the world.

So the guy says ok, for my last wish, I want a billion dollars. The genie says no way. I'm not going to give you a billion dollars. The guy says, "But you promised."

My father was the chief justice here.

He never stopped telling to NEVER, EVER, trust lawyers! clap

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Does that mean humans can marry elephants and roam free across the African continent?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My father was the chief justice here.

He never stopped telling to NEVER, EVER, trust lawyers! clap

Well now, Saeed. I wouldn’t know much about that.

I’m not a Chief Justice, or even the son of one.

By training, I’m just a simple country lawyer.

BTW, good one, lavaca. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I assume that your father was a lawyer before he was a Chief Justice, and I assume he continued to be a lawyer while he was a Chief Justice. If he told you to never trust a lawyer, I assume you trusted his advice.

So would you give me that you can trust some lawyers?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
No he was not.

We were a very small community.

A court was established, and was appointed in charge.

We had one qualified judge from the Yemen.

We also had a Yemeni police officer who used to stand in front of the court.

We sometimes went to have lunch in the judge’s house, and the police officer came along too.

Him and the judge were very close friends.

And while at the court he used to very respectful to the judge, he was totally different in private!

They would call each other every insulting name under the sun!

Those were the days!

It is very hard for some to understand the time period my generation went through!

The same period of time in other countries takes several generations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I'd love to sit down with you over a good dinner and discuss hunting, and the state of the world at large. I suspect we agree about more than we disagree.

But I'm a lawyer. I'm proud to be a lawyer and represent my clients within the bounds of the rules of ethics. I don't represent personal injury plaintiffs; I don't work on a contingency fee. I don't artificially inflate damages like most personal injury lawyers do.

I'd suggest to you that there are some lawyers out there that you can trust. I've spent 35 years making sure that I am a lawyer that judges can trust and that opposing counsel can trust.
We might not agree with each other, but in representing a client, I'm going straight at the point, each and every time. I say that to opposing counsel, and I say it to the judge.

If they rule against me. No hard feelings, but make a record and take it up on appeal.

I'd like to believe that justice will ultimately prevail, but some of the recent jury verdicts we've seen show that that is not always the case. Which is why I continue to do what I do.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The only lawyer I can trust is actually an American lawyer.

He worked in the diplomatic service too!

A very honest friend!

Others I keep at arms length!

Dinner is on me my friend.

I am absolutely certain we have so much in common too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I look forward to dinner, but we'll argue about the check. I hope I can become the second lawyer you can trust.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quite like Fairgame's idea about humans being able to marry elephants. I imagine it would appeal to many vegan PETA members too. They could roam around Africa with their elephant family, communing with nature, eating nuts and fruit with perhaps a few ears of corn from the fields of subsistence farmers. They could drink from sparkling clean springs and bathe in the Zambesi and feel deep emotional bonds to their Loxidontal partner.
Unfortunately marriage brings responsibilities as well as the right to roam across Africa without worrying about state boundaries. Protecting the herd's calves against Lions might give the average PETA supporter pause! Then of course you have the responsibility of satisfying your partner's every need. Even the most testosterone-filled young vegan bloke may struggle to satisfy his elephant wife. On the other hand a young lady married to a big bull would have to brace herself when he came on musth!
It could cause issues for the elephants too. Now they are people they are subject to national laws too. Stealing food, wrecking homes and stomping on farmers could result in a prison sentence. You could call such a prison for elephant-people a Zoological Garden!

Posts: 367 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I remember an Australian woman marrying a bridge in England!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The marriage fell apart. They couldn't make ends meet.

Mike

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo clap It amazes me the stupid things politicians do. In many places they have made police dogs people already. No stretch to add an elephant.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Pom,

Elephants already get the death penalty, without the benefit of a trial, for violating human laws of which they are not aware.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

The marriage fell apart. They couldn't make ends meet.

yuck lol

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote