THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    This is something I shot last week in RSA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is something I shot last week in RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted
This is a 19.5" HarteBless I shot near Lichtenburg RSA, 50 miles northwest, last week while I was over filming for the Mens Channel. I had to borrow a Ph's rifle since I had not taken mine. 257 yards, uphill. Something different and not "many" like it in Texas.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/301807.JPG

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but looks like a good ole commmon blesbuck to me. Are you sure?

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Blesbok I got on my wall! Nice one sir!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, he shot a Blesbok...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you old salts....But I beg to differ with you. That sure looks like a Bontebok. Just like a blessbok only white sided and much more rare.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
No, it's a bald face impala.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Plain ole Blesbok, someone was pulling your leg.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a Curved Horn Browniebuck.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's a pale-sided, white-schnozzled Fillintheblankbok if I've ever seen one.

Just kidding, or trying to. Razzer It's a blesbok, definitely.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Sorry you old salts....But I beg to differ with you. That sure looks like a Bontebok. Just like a blessbok only white sided and much more rare.

The only way to know for sure is the Bontebok has a white rump patch around the tail. I don't think the contiguous white on the face is absolute proof. Some Blesboks have a horizontal stripe of some type breaking up the white on the face but I don't think it's an absolute.

I of course could be wrong as I have seen neither in the wild but telling you what an old African hand once told me.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
The gentleman is correct. It is a Hartebles. You can tell by the way the horns almost touch at the bases. It is a true cross breed, possibly artificially inseminated by highly trained vervet monkeys in a secret project now going on in RSA to rekindle hunting fever due to the Airbus/firearms permit debacles.
(stay tuned for more crossbreeds)

I'll quit buying guns when my wife quits buying shoes.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that is a hartebles... there is proof that they can interbreed. I have never shot one, but in the smaller farms that have hartebeest and blesbok, its quite common.

We try very hard for that not to happen on the patches of land we run though. We are also checking for black and blue wildebeest crosses.

hasn't happened yet for both on our patch. cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a Hartebeest / Blesbok hybrid.
Happens when there are not enough females of one species.

HUNTING ONE HOUR FROM CAPE TOWN
http://www.kapstadt.de/lemberg

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happens all of the time here in West Texas....we need more females too!!!!

lol

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

You've left yourself really wide open with that statement.

So what are you all hybridizing with out there in West Texas??? sofa Any photos of the resulting progeny? sofa sofa

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We called them Hartiboks...

Shot a couple 3 years ago a farmer wanted out of his herd. Big body with Blesbok horns.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
monkey, the resulting cross between the black and blue wildebeast, if it happens will you call it a bruised wildebeast? Smiler

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote