THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What would you think of a switch barrel rifle in .300WM, .375 H&H, .458 Lott?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you think of a switch barrel rifle in .300WM, .375 H&H, .458 Lott?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted
I'm thinking of building a switch barrel rifle on a Montana 1999 action with a Accurate Innovations stock. Does this spark anyone's interest? It will be switchable in camp and not require a barrel vice.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you would have almost all of the bases covered. clap Could you add something on the lighter side like 7X57?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tapper,
Switch barrels are a good idea, but that's about it. I have an old Blaser R84 with 7mm Rem. Mag and 375 H&H barrels, but have never used it. I either take an appropriate rifle for plains game or larger like buffalo.

When packing the larger caliber rifle in the field, you will often see smaller game animals. If you decide to take the smaller game, you must make do with what you have. However, the take-down feature would have great appeal to many hunters.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
As a concept, it's great.

However, most everyone I've ever talked to that took a switch barrel set up on safari never switched from their primary caliber.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to build a couple switch barrel rifles for customers from time to time. Without exception everyone of them came back within a year or 2 and had me set the extra barrel up on another action.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
My opinion is much the same as everyone that has responded. I had a customer ask about it and I thought I would ask. However, I don't like to hunt Buffalo with a .375, in my opinion, it's not enough gun (one bad experience). I also don't like to hunt plains game with a Lott or even a .416 RM. The weight restrictions on the airlines, made me think about it, also. I guess if I'm going to take only one gun it will have to be my .416 Taylor.

Thanks for you thoughts, guys............Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
I'm thinking of building a switch barrel rifle on a Montana 1999 action with a Accurate Innovations stock. Does this spark anyone's interest? It will be switchable in camp and not require a barrel vice.

If you want a switch barrel rifle chambered for those cartridges, you probably just ought to buy a Blaser R8; it would probably cost less in the long run unless you're doing the work yourself.

Though I have a number of switch barrel firearms, the only time I would probably take an extra barrel along to hunt with would be if there was a clearly different need; i.e., such as a rifle barrel for big game hunting and a shotgun barrel for bird hunting. Having the switch barrel capability is useful before the hunt however. For instance, for Africa I'd likely take a 375 H&H Magnum for everything while for Pronghorn Antelope in Wyoming, I'd probably take a 257 or a 300 Weatherby.

You also have to consider the rules of the places you would be traveling to. In some countries, a second barrel is considered a second firearm and would need to have a serial number on it. Blaser rifles have a serial number on both the barrel and receiver.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the calibers you are looking at, as mentioned above, you just need to buy a Blaser R8 or, if you prefer a turnbolt action, a Mauser M03.

You get a better safety, easier barrel switches, easier take-down, easier travel. And you avoid the switch barrel system based on threaded barrels.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
I also think you'd be better off with a Blaser.

I own two R93's and four barrels and with the barrels I have I can cover everything on a safari that might pop up.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What countries would permit entry of multiple or switch barrel firearms?

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have taken multiple and switch barrel guns to Namibia. I have taken multiple guns to Tanzania and South Africa with no problems....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Just curious - If a rifle is built to feed the 300 then will it feed the 458 just as well? What about the other way around? I really don't know but even with the bases the same size is there some sort of compromise you have to make with regard to the feed rails?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the perfect way to have the wrong barrel at the wrong time for the wrong animal.......

I've heard this arguement before with regard to an African safari and I just think conceptually it's a no go on a mixed dangerous/plains game safari.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Just curious - If a rifle is built to feed the 300 then will it feed the 458 just as well? What about the other way around?

A Blaser will feed both just as well. In fact, your 458 Lott R8 Blaser, with a simple bolt, magazine and barrel change will feed 223 Remington just as well.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have built them for two cartridges based on the .375 H&H case, .300 WM and .416 Taylor, no feeding problems......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Sounds like the perfect way to have the wrong barrel at the wrong time for the wrong animal........

Brett

On most DG/plains game safaris the DG is hunted first. The plains game is icing on the cake once you have your DG. I suffered from the problem you describe once while hunting Buff in very heavy cover. We jumped what the PH said was a world record Diker. SHOOT!! SHOOT!! was what I heard and being dumb I said "I'm not going to shoot a diker with a .470 NE" and ruin our Buff hunt for the day as we were close to a small herd of five bulls. The big bull in there is now beside me as I write this. That diker looked like a white tail doe with horns, he was big. That was five years ago and the PH still yells at me about it.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a falling block action (old Webley) and barreled it in hand-detachable .375 HH flanged magnum and .300 H&H flanged magnum that is the same case just necked down. The .300 has no iron sights; the .375 has a scope rail for Warne rings. Both work well.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Switch barrels have on great advantage over other rifles...

...chicks dig'em

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Switching barrels in "camp" sounds like a pain in the arse.

Put the largest versatile barrel on it ie the .375, and hunt everything with it during the safari.

If you need two calibres for a single hunt, get a second rifle.

Switch barrels sound and are a good idea, but not for switching around during the hunt. Just adds un-necessary complications.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A switch-barrel might be reasonable for a two-part hunt, i.e. PG in one area and DG in another, changing barrels and calibers mid-trip. However, I think that the biggest advantage of the switch-barrel gun is the fact that it is obviously going to be a take-down, making for much easier transport while enroute to and from the hunt. Fly with a take-down rifle in a nice compact case just once, and you'll never go back to long, bulky gun cases again.

Viva le Blaser! (Or le double rifle... Smiler)

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote