THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Elephants Move One Step Closer to Endangered Listing under US Law

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Elephants Move One Step Closer to Endangered Listing under US Law
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.prnewswire.com/news...s-law-300236588.html

African Elephants Move One Step Closer to Endangered Listing under US Law

Fish and Wildlife Service responds positively to petition from animal protection groups to up-list African elephants from 'Threatened' to 'Endangered'; long process still ahead

WASHINGTON, March 15, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a positive response to a scientific petition submitted last year by animal protection groups, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said increased Endangered Species Act protections may be warranted for the African elephant. Humane Society International, The Humane Society of the United States and the International Fund for Animal Welfare submitted the original petition on Feb. 11, 2015.

Following today's preliminary positive finding on the petition, the FWS will now invite information from scientists and the public about the African elephants' status and threats to determine whether an Endangered listing would be appropriate. With some exceptions, an Endangered listing would prohibit the import of African elephant trophies as well as the import, export and domestic trade in elephant parts, including ivory.

Teresa M. Telecky, Ph.D., director of the wildlife department at HSI, said: "The science clearly supports an Endangered listing for the African elephant and we are encouraged the U.S. has taken this critical step toward greater protection for this majestic species."

"Today's decision is a critical step in the government's promise to protect elephants," said Peter LaFontaine, campaigns officer, IFAW. "The Endangered Species Act is the most powerful law we have in this country to safeguard elephants against the unnecessary threats of trade and trophy hunting. We thank the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service for recognizing that the species is becoming more critically endangered and stronger protections may be warranted."

African elephant populations have declined 60 percent since the FWS listed them as Threatened in 1978. The steep decline is largely a result of habitat loss, poaching, commercial exploitation, trophy hunting, human-elephant conflict, regional conflict and instability, and climate change. Between 2005 and 2014, trophy hunters imported parts of 4,600 African elephants to the U.S.

If the government moves forward with heightened protections under the Endangered Species Act, the import, export and interstate sale of African elephant parts would be prohibited in the United States, unless such activity can be shown to enhance the survival of the species.

About Humane Society International
Humane Society International and its partner organizations together constitute one of the world's largest animal protection organizations. For more than 20 years, HSI has been working for the protection of all animals through the use of science, advocacy, education and hands on programs. Celebrating animals and confronting cruelty worldwide – on the Web at hsi.org.

About The Humane Society of the United States
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest animal protection organization, rated most effective by our peers. For 60 years, we have celebrated the protection of all animals and confronted all forms of cruelty. We are the nation's largest provider of hands-on services for animals, caring for more than 100,000 animals each year, and we prevent cruelty to millions more through our advocacy campaigns. Read more about our 60 years of transformational change for animals, and visit us online at humanesociety.org.

About IFAW
Founded in 1969, IFAW saves animals in crisis around the world. With projects in more than 40 countries, IFAW rescues individual animals, works to prevent cruelty to animals, and advocates for the protection of wildlife and habitats. For more information, visit www.ifaw.org. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

SOURCE International Fund for Animal Welfare

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNe...petitions-&_ID=35506

Link to USFWS news bulletin concerning petition to uplist African elephant.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next choice of US Presidential candidates will be the "make or break" for anything related to hunting and possession of firearms.

USF&W will be having a field day if you know who gets into the driving seat.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
4,600 imported trophies in the US from 2005 to 2014 contributed to their decline?

Are they serious? How much $$$ were raised from these hunts that contributed to conservation efforts.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
4,600 imported trophies in the US from 2005 to 2014 contributed to their decline?

Are they serious? How much $$$ were raised from these hunts that contributed to conservation efforts.

You know this would make for an interesting discussion Austin Hunter........... but it has gotten to the point that you cannot have an intelligent and soul searching conversation on here without possibly giving ammo to the anti's.
I see comments copied and pasted from AR in social media that are taken and used against us.

Without a locked down place, where you have to join and be screened, for people to discuss issues......... we seem to generate bad press for ourselves. We assume many things but actually know the specifics about very few of these issues.

I know many will disagree but it is the way I have come to feel and going forward I do not intend to discuss anything in social media. I do not want to add to the problem and I know comments I have made when questioning things HAVE been taken and used in the past because I have seen them. This is not going to happen any more, but generally makes social media useless to me in the future beyond something to read.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
On a brighter note the EU are now accepting Elephant and Lion trophies.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Team Trump!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
The next choice of US Presidential candidates will be the "make or break" for anything related to hunting and possession of firearms.

Fujo,
Your statement is 100% correct!

African Hunting and Hunting in general has a lot riding on this election.

As it is shaping up...We can have Clinton Foundation shut down African Hunting for good...OR...we can have the father of avid safari hunters as POTUS.

If I were in the Safari Industry...I know who I would be campaigning for. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Banning the importation of elephant is the USF&W Service's way of admitting that they are impotent when it comes to addressing the ongoing poaching epidemic in Southern Africa (IMO). In lieu of banning the importation of legally hunted wildlife, perhaps they should consider providing funding, equipment, and tactical training to the various wildlife agencies in Southern Africa (i.e. - ZimParks).

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In lieu of banning the importation of legally hunted wildlife, perhaps they should consider providing funding, equipment, and tactical training to the various wildlife agencies in Southern Africa (i.e. - ZimParks

No way in hell this president or any other demoncrat is going to fund anything that does not BUY votes!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
And just how many of elephants were POACHED during that same time period? A hell of a lot more than 4,600.00. What a total cesspool we live in nowadays.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Oxymoron. N. A combination of words that have opposite or very different meanings." Such as using words like "scientific" in the same sentence as "Humane Society of the United States" or "International Fund for Animal Welfare".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And so it goes. USFWS lists the ele as endangered and Africa loses a substantial source of funding to combat poaching and preserve habitat. And, without hunting safaris in the bush, poaching will escalate. Just look at Kenya. Simply brilliant.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Fujo,

As it is shaping up...We can have Clinton Foundation shut down African Hunting for good...OR...we can have the father of avid safari hunters as POTUS.

Big 5 will become buffalo hunting going forward. Chelsea Clinton will see to that and Trump will see to Hillary Clinton being the next POTUS.

I already know people going and hunting rhino so they can import it before the age of Chelsea starts. Leopard will be gone in next 24 months.

Glad I am a eland hunter. But it sucks for the Africa hunting business and taxidermy business. Would not invest too much money in high end double rifles.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This could be a catastrophe if this happens as these so called scientist in the USFWS and the lawyers will be batting any changes back and forth until a BIBLICAL event occurs. Look what the track record is with the wolves in Wyoming.

I'm voting for TRUMP as possibly he could blow this BS away.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ledvm:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fujotupu:

Big 5 will become buffalo hunting going forward. Chelsea Clinton will see to that and Trump will see to Hillary Clinton being the next POTUS.

I already know people going and hunting rhino so they can import it before the age of Chelsea starts. Leopard will be gone in next 24 months.

Glad I am a eland hunter. But it sucks for the Africa hunting business and taxidermy business. Would not invest too much money in high end double rifles.

Mike

Chelsea Clinton's father was Janet Reno, who brought us Ruby Ridge and Waco. She's not anti-shooting, she just supports shooting unarmed women and children.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Janet Reno! Wow! I thought that it was the late Vince Foster. Janet? Who woulda thunk it.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fujo,

Mike

Mike,
If the GOP will quit beating itself and get behind Trump...he will win handily and this USF&W stuff goes away. Why not get behind Trump instead of throwing stones at him.

And before you say it...I don't think there is/was a single other candidate in the race that will stop the USF&W from continuing on its agenda.

So for Africa Hunting and her Wildlife...Trump is the only game in town.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fujo,

Mike

Mike,
If the GOP will quit beating itself and get behind Trump...he will win handily and this USF&W stuff goes away. Why not get behind Trump instead of throwing stones at him.

And before you say it...I don't think there is/was a single other candidate in the race that will stop the USF&W from continuing on its agenda.

Don't dimiss Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fujo,

Mike

Mike,

Don't dimiss Africa.

Andrew,
Besides you and the Bell-Crosses and a whole lot of other good folks like many who post on this page...with all due respect...Africa is losing the battle my friend.

And I really wasn't speaking about you guys either...I was saying that from stateside that Trump is the only game in town for righting the wrong that the present POTUS and his Secretary of Interior Sally Jewel have initiated within USF&W. Not to mention our privilege to come hunt in Africa.

My hat is off to men who try hard like you and Buzz & Myles and the like!

J. Lane Easter, DVM