Find
Notify
Tools

Safari....alone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted
I'm leaving in less than 60 days for a buff hunt in zim, followed by plains game in Botswana. I will be meeting my brother in Botswana as he could not make the first part of the trip. I had planned on taking my wife with me for the trip but now that she might have a brand new job her being able to take the time off is not looking good.

My question is simple. How many of you have taken a safari alone? Is it more enjoyable alone? Less?

Just curious. I think on one hand it will be truly a personal experience and great. The other hand says it will only be me with nobody to share it with. Any thoughts?

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I did my first and only safari (so far) by myself, 10 days in Namibia.

Sometimes I think that I would have liked to have someone along to share stuff with and sometimes I really enjoyed the time alone.

It really depends on your personality type.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It was not an African Safari, but basically all of my early hunts for elk in Colorado and both of my hunts in Canada, I was alone.

My wife had accomanied me to the outfitters/guides home, but when it came time to go to camp and start the hunt, I was alone.

Enjoy the experience, and then enjoy the time you will be in camp/on the hunt with your brother.

Sometimes life dictates that we have to do things alone, this is one of those times in your life.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
My Namibia -07 trip 3 weeks alone, Zim -08 3 weeks alone...I like it !

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Remember that you won't be alone. You'll have your ph with you. I went on my first (and only so far) safari by myself and had a blast. Hunting 1X1 on safari means you will have a lot more opportunity on stalks as well.
When I go back, even if I have a friend with me I will hunt 1X1. The only exception to that will be when my son is old enough to go to Africa. Then I will hunt 2X1 with him to share the experience.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have been twice by myself, and will go back whenever I can.

Would it be better with a family member or close friend? I have not done that but so long as they enjoy it I am sure it would be great.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

It really depends on your personality type.

I've done it both ways and have enjoyed it all.

If you have to talk to someone incessantly, then you're probably better off with lots of ears.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loved it. You are really only alone at night. Time to reflect, journal the days events, smoke a nice cigar and sip bourbon mesmerized by the dance of the fire.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most of my hunts have been alone. I have always enjoyed the company of most of the ph's. I will say the best two I when on was when my wife and daughter were with me. DG hunting is not their cup of tea neither is tent camps.
Good luck and good hunting

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two hunts I've done so far have been alone. This trip coming up will be with friends, but 1x1. We'll see how it turns out. Been great so far.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
A couple of mine were done solo and I found them quite enjoyable. You are never truely alone on safari. Most of mine have been with family or hunting partners or clients, but there is nothing wrong with going it alone and I wouldn't hesitate if circumstances dictated another solo trip.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a plains game hunt in Botswana by myself. Everyone thinks your mad when you tell them you are going to Africa by yourself!

Besides that it was perfect. You are never really alone, you have your PH, trackers and driver to talk to if you want. You never need to worry about what someone else wants or whether they are having a good time.

I slept on the plane so no worries there either.

I did wish I had a companion at the airports though.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of 10 safaris was with someone else and I have been alone ever since. That's the best way. Shared the bush with my ph and the lord above. Can't beat that for company.

Darrell Ragar

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most Safaris are done "alone". I did my first 2 that way.

I did take my wife on my last Safari.

I WILL NEVER TAKE HER AGAIN.

NEVER EVER.

SHE shot more game than I did. Eeker Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunts have all been alone. It's always be easier for me to set up a hunt and go by myself. I like it that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've made four safaris by myself. The first to ZIM, then one to MOZ and the last two were to TZN. I had a great time on each one and made some good friends along the way. However, the PH is being paid to be there (be your friend) so that last statement may be misleading. I found that keeping a daily diary really helped me remember what took place during the day.

My next trip will be in just over 60 days and I'm heading back to TZN. However, this time I'm taking a hunting buddy. It will be his second trip and basically I'm doing it to help share expenses. Incidentally, we will be hunting 2x1.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother and I went together on our last trip. We had a great time. I guess that is why i brought this up. It will be different alone.

I think this might actually be perfect. A week or so alone with the Zimbabwe countryside. New experiences, new PH, etc. Then meet up with my brother for some fun times with our old friend PH.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken my wife a few times to places that were conducive to her beach/spa/shopping holiday expectations. One spectacular place was Marble Island just off the Great Barrier Reef on Queensland. Next one will be the Eastern Cape near Port Elizabeth.
All other hunts and safaris have been alone and I prefer it that way. It is almost the only way to bowhunt successfully.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I pretty much decided to always go alone. I have taken my wife, my brother and my son on different trips.

usually they go because they are curious, or it sounds like "fun". I found they did not have nearly the enthusiasm I did for the hunt, and actually detracted from the hunt in many ways.

Go by yourself and enjoy every last minute of it- the long lines at the airport, the odd person in the seat next to you on the plane, the perfume of the flight attendants, the steak at your first braai, ...well you get the idea...

Have a great time!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I've done both of mine alone. Actually I think it has worked out better for me that way. If I go with a group, I'll do it as where I have my own PH (1x1), and anyone else will be 1x1 or 2x1 as they please.

It might be nice to share camp with people I know, but I'd rather hunt on my own.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really, it depends on your wife. I made my first safari to SA in "05 along with a good friend and found that I was trying to email Karen every night to tell her about what wonderful things I had seen and done. In "07 we both went to Namibia and she, who thinks roughing it means no heated pool, stayed in a tent for 7 days, loved the experience and hunted with me several days. I really don't think there is a good answer here. If she's willing and able to do the trip, take her along. I don't think either of you will ever regret it.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Wow- how odd this post pops up today...,
I just found out that my buddy wont be able to join me in zim in 2 months.... we have hunted in Zambia together and had a ball. It certainly wont be the same without him. My girlfirend even offered to go if I could postpone until next year....

I must admit I was bummed, but I found comfort in some of the other posts. I'll be in Chirisa and there are 3 camps relatively close by. Perhaps I will make new friends. Either way, I will be in Africa and that alone is good.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I'll be in Chirisa as well....that is odd. What dates are you going?

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always gone alone. When my son is old enough, he is nine now, I will go with him, at least sometimes.

I like it alone, and as others have posted, you are not really alone...

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A safari cannot be explained. It has to be experienced.

If you go alone, you can't really share the experience with anyone who means anything to you.

You can try, but you'll fail.

And sharing it is very important, at least to me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I think most Safaris are done "alone". I did my first 2 that way.

I did take my wife on my last Safari.

I WILL NEVER TAKE HER AGAIN.

NEVER EVER.

SHE shot more game than I did. Eeker Big Grin

Tony:

As good looking as that woman is, I'll take her and let her shoot every dad-gum animal. You married above yourself! Any woman who will go down the slide in the steakhouse with me is my hero. Big Grin

On a serious note, since no one ever can go on just one safari, do some alone, some with a special friend or spouse. Both are just plain wonderful.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
A safari cannot be explained. It has to be experienced.

If you go alone, you can't really share the experience with anyone who means anything to you.

You can try, but you'll fail.

And sharing it is very important, at least to me.

Ok, ok, you may take me Elephant hunting ... I accept! dancing

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
HAH! Big Grin

Wendell, I only have one small opening.

But I'm gonna need to know whether you're a pointer or a retriever . . .

Anyone's budget, especially mine, has its limits, you know . . .

clap

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I have been to Africa twice. Once with my cousin, and once with my wife. I'll be going solo next May and I really have not thought twice about it. I have a date when I get there with Mr. Spots.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt alone wherever I go. I enjoy hunting alone. I know some people enjoy hunt clubs, and hunting in groups. I'm not in to that. One or two like-minded guys would be fine.

In fact you won't be alone. You'll have the PH and his crew, and you can spend that quality time learning about Africa, the game you are hunting, the country you are hunting in, and the people that form a part of your team. It's great fun.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i hunted alone for many moons, never felt safe in groups, wife didn't want to go, until the 1st time. now I couldn't and wouldn't leave her , make it a hellofvalot more fun

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I did my first hunt completely alone. The hunting was great, but in the evenings, it would have been nice to have some folks alongto talk to. The PH's were great, but they spoke a lot in their own language. My second hunt, my cameraman that was also a friend was there, and it was much better in my opinion. Last year, a group of us went, and it was a lot of fun around the campfire at night. This year, back to me and a cameraman I don't know, so we'll see. The hunting is solo, but I think the evenings are fun with friends around...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Africa 7 times alone and will do it alone this year. I have always enjoyed camp with the Ph and crew. Next year I am planning to do a trip with a friend I met thru AR. We are planning Zim Buffalo for Frank and then RSA for Vaal Rehbok for me as the major species. We will add what other game we want as we go, but with two different agendas I think it will work out very well as we won't be in conflict with each other on species and it will be 1X1.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I did my first hunt completely alone. The hunting was great, but in the evenings, it would have been nice to have some folks along to talk to. The PH's were great, but they spoke a lot in their own language. My second hunt, my cameraman that was also a friend was there, and it was much better in my opinion. Last year, a group of us went, and it was a lot of fun around the campfire at night. This year, back to me and a cameraman I don't know, so we'll see. The hunting is solo, but I think the evenings are fun with friends around...

I think you've nailed it Tim. It's the after action time when you share events, thoughts, and lies with friends or significant others that is missed when you travel and hunt alone. It's so much more joyful when memories are fresh and excitement is high than it is two weeks later when you back at home and a world away.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just my opine here.
Safari is an experience, best shared!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done it both ways and enjoyed them all. There is somethings to be said about going it solo: no fretting over travel arrangements that are not your first choice,ie. I prefer to fly 1st class not all my friends are able to swing the costs. I am able to go on safari on short notice taking advantage of cancellation hunts,etc., not all my friends are able to some need a minimum of 1 year to make vacation plans. When a true trophy is spotted I know it's my turn to shoot.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
I've been to Africa twice by myself. The last one was a little worrisome as it was in Central African Republic which is on the State Dept's list of no-no's. Turned out great.

I'm pretty sure you still owe us a report on this one... shame

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Looks like you will have the best of both worlds.
You are going to hunt buff and you can be all alone in the adventure and experience.
The you will also have the experience of sharing the plains game hunt with your brother. Should be great memories that will last for ever.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I did my only safari alone and enjoyed every minute of it.

However, I think a 1x1 safari with a buddy would have been nice. It would allow you to sit around the fire at night with your favorite adult beverage and talk about the day's hunt. You can't really do that with just your PH because he was there with you and already knows the story.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
A first safari should be take alone. That way you only have to worry about yourself and making certain your traveling companion is having a good time does not interfere with your trip. I know Saeed travels with a posse, but my experience is the more folks on the trip-the greater the odds of something happening to spoil the experience. After the first safari there is real joy in exposing others to the wonders of Africa.

I have gone on separate safaris by myself, with a good friend, my father, my stepfather, my brother and my wife and 2 daughters. I enjoyed the trips with my family and friends. My easiest shared trip being with my brother because we are so similar in what we want and expect out of a hunt and I didn't need to look after him (Thank you Brian). I really enjoyed the trip with my wife and kids. To see your children employ all you have taught them about hunting, shoot well, show respect for the sport and witness them experience Africa was one of the best times in my life. Also, to see the wonder and child like joy of my wife with her camera (especially any time we saw giraffes) was incredible. However, there was always the nagging concern regarding whether they were having a good time and the hardships of life in a 3rd world country (we were in Zim and Zambia)and hunting camps.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote