New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanning Elephant hide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am leaving on my trophy bull hunt in a little over three weeks. I am sure I would like to get some hide tanned, but don't know if I should try to get that done over there, or ship salted hide back here for tanning. I'll be in the valley with Buzz, so I don't know exactly what my options would be from Zimbabwe.
Also, I am sure that I will have to specify how it is split. Any suggestions? I would guess that boots would have differant requirements than upholstery or wallets or luggage.
How much per square foot will I expect to pay?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've always had mine done over there. Tanned hide is lighter and less messy than salted hide to ship home, which means less shipping $$. Just remember, no "finished" products allowed anymore; you'll have to have boots, gun cases, photo albums, etc. made here in the states. And if you want the ears, you should get 4 of them as they are split. There are artists here who can paint them for you with whatever you want. Cool

Ask your PH for the email of the taxidermist he recommends and communicate with him now.

Where are you in SD? My hunting partner is in Rapid.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Get a hold of Andy Hunter: http://www.chipitanisafaris.net/pack&dip.htm

He will get it done for you alot cheaper than thetaxidermist and expertly handle all of your dip and pack.

As far as thickness, the boot makers I talked to said they will shave it down to the appropriate size.

Also talk to Trophy Hides at: http://www.trophyhidesleather.com/ They can make great bags such as an airline carry one.

Please consider having some panels dyed brown, they are gorgeous.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Have it done over there. It will save you a lot of money. Expect to pay around $11/foot for tanning elephant in Zim. I had four panels sent back and the ears. One panel of black went to Loveless for two pairs of boots (highly recommended). The other three I dropped off at Trophy Hides, where they're making me gun cases, a brief case, duffle bag and all kinds of other odds and ends. I had them make an elephant hide shopping bag for my girlfriend to use at the hippy grocery store where they don't give out plastic bags. I figure she can proudly tell them that she's reducing landfill waste and fighting desertification at the same time by using a bag made out of an elephant.

I still have the ears, but I'm going to send one of them to Wild Images in Motion (http://www.wildimagesinmotion.com/) to get painted. Robert does really nice work.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree with those suggesting that you have it done there rather than here - they do a better job and do it less expensively.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a salted ear off an elephant that BigB shot with my 470NE Merkel double rifle that I have had for 4 or 5 years, and it's been shipped to two different tanners, and sent back saying they don't tan elephant! So what I'm saying is it makes perfect sense to have the tanning, and dying over there!

With my ear, I think I'll buy the chemicals and tan, and dye the damn thing myself!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the choice, I would have it done over there. But from what I could determine, I didn't have the option to have my elephant skin tanned in Tanzania so I got stuck with the expense of shipping it back home salted.

After calling the folks at Loveless for a recommendation, they said that there was only one outfit in the US that they would recommend for tanning elephant hide, Specialty Leather Processors in Boone, Iowa. The folks at SLP were great to work with and I had my tanned hide back in short order.

Richard

Posts: 41 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Marty,

I dont want to horn in on CM business but if you need any help please PM me or e mail on chipitani@zol.co.zw

Andy

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Marty
I have had the skins of my last two ele bulls tanned in Zim and then shipped over.
I just looked at the invoice from the last one in September 2010. It shows the square footage of the six panels as 181.5, and 40.25 for the ears. The price for tanning and dying was $4.70 per square foot giving a total bill inclusive of tax as $1198.00.
I would suggest you have the skin dyed brown as the grey tends to finish with a sort of blue cast to it.
I actually have a leather furniture business here in the UK and I am more than happy with the standard of the finished leather if that's any recommendation.
Both of the eles concerned were shot with Buzz so he will be able to sort things for you.
I just got an email from him saying that he cant wait for his first hunt, which I now assume to be you. Get ready to do some serious walking my friend !!!!!

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.
Yes, Rob, I think I am his first hunt. Walking I am looking forward to, I've been pretty religious on the treadmill the last few months. The first trick will be getting out of here during storm season.
Mike-
I live near Aberdeen.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote