THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    If only I had deeper pockets, collection of M70's

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If only I had deeper pockets, collection of M70's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Too bad I never had a rich uncle, these would be nice, ahhh one can dream though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=55528057

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 884 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those have been for sale for a long time with no takers.

IMO, I just wouldn't pay that for something out of Winchester's custom shop. Better off buying a stock M70 express and have a gunsmith that really knows what they are doing work it over. You have less $ in it with more than likely better work than you'll get out of their custom shop. That's what I did. If I were going to spend $4-5K I would buy a Hein or have something custom built.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
If I could afford them I wouldnt mind having the set but not at 20k.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About half the asking price is all I would consider paying. Too much money for "serial numbers". Serial numbers don't shoot or add value.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The real world price of these as a set would be $8000.00 on a good day. Any more than that you would be one of the guys they say is born every minute.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
They're nice guns, don't get me wrong, but they're not worth $4K apiece. I have one in .375 H&H (the one with the lion), and it is a very nice rifle. I had the chance to also pick up its brother in the .458 as well, as the guy selling them in the midwest had both of them and wanted me to buy both. I told him that I wasn't interested in the .458 mag, and was not interested in the same serial number jazz, nor was I interested in just collecting guns to look at. I told him that the .375 would be used (shot).(Which it has for sure) Now, if you are a collector and just want to look at them and not shoot them, then maybe the same serial number jazz might be ok, but I still don't think that they're worth $20K ($4K apiece). Maybe that is why there have been NO bids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be worth that much they would have to be pre 64/

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sniper: Since they only made those five rifles in 125 sets, and with those specific floorplates on only those rifles and no others, and since model 70's are no longer made, I do not reasonably believe that you would have any chance of obtaining a single floorplate like that to put on your supergrade; that is, unless you took one off of one of those specific rifles, which I don't think you'd do, would you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
they look very nice

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The boxes are in good condition.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darrell Whittaker got one of those yearly as they were being turned out to complete the set.

I bought the .375H&H/Lion as new in box, with letter, for about $1200, as someone else had traded the new toy in.

When the .416 Remington/Cape Buffalo came as the final annual offering of that 5-year series,
I bought it new for about $1400 from Darrell.

My buddy got the .470 Capstick/Rhino.

All of these were #48 of 125 serial numbers, and a couple of other local yokels got the .338 WinMag/Leopard, and the .458 WinMag/Elephant.

My buddy's .470 Capstick had a bad barrel with a rough and oversized bore. A keyholer with GSC and North Fork banded bullets.

Customshop quality is pretty spotty at Winchester.

I think the whole set of 5 with same serial numbers should be worth about $7,000 US, if as new in box with papers.

Of course the tulip bulb frenzy over M70's makes it whatever the market will bear.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote