THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    NAMIBIA: Elephant Bull's Life Saved-Voortrekker

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NAMIBIA: Elephant Bull's Life Saved-Voortrekker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Namibia: Elephant Bull's Life Saved

The Namibian (Windhoek)

20 November 2008
Posted to the web 20 November 2008

Absalom Shigwedha

A CONSERVATION project helping rural communities to co-exist with the desert-adapted elephant in western Kunene Region has compensated two conservancies in the region for deciding not to use a trophy-hunting permit issued to them.

This year, the Ministry of Environment issued three trophy-hunting permits for elephants in the Kunene Region, to be shared by the Sorris-Sorris and Otjimboyo conservancies bordering the Ugab River.

But Elephant-Human Relations Aid (EHRA) realised that the conservancies have only one resident breeding bull large enough to be regarded as a trophy.

The bull, locally known as 'Voortrekker', is regarded as the founding father of the Ugab elephant herds and has led the four residential herds there for around 10 years.

Younger nomadic bulls do visit the area, but none of them is of breeding age yet.

The oldest one, a bull called Longshanks, is still about eight to 10 years too young for the cows to allow him to breed.

Johannes Haasbroek, the Operations Director for EHRA, said the loss of 'Voortrekker' would have been a heavy blow for the resident elephant cows.

However, says Haasbroek, they were also fully aware that the two conservancies were in desperate need of income that a trophy hunt would provide.

After discussions with the Ministry of Environment and Tourism, EHRA offered to financially compensate the two conservancies if they would waive their rights to this trophy.

Haasbroek said both conservancies showed the same concern upon realising the effect 'Voortrekker's' death would have on the future of the Ugab elephants.

"The conservancies decided to sign a memorandum of agreement with EHRA to waive their rights to the trophy, based on an offer from EHRA to financially compensate them for their loss of income and the meat they would have received," said Haasbroek.

Rachel Harris, the EHRA project co-ordinator, told The Namibian yesterday that each conservancy would receive N$70 000 in compensation.

The money was raised from a fundraising trek through the desert that EHRA launched last month.

Ten women from the UK, US, Ireland and Canada walked 130 km through the former Damaraland over five days and raised N$140 000.

Before the conservancies accepted the compensation, they had already signed a contract signed with a professional hunter, Hentie van Heerden, who had a client booked for the hunt.

EHRA said Van Heerden agreed that it would not be feasible or sustainable to shoot a bull in the Ugab and decided to send the permit back to the Ministry as unused.

The Ministry helped Van Heerden find an unused trophy-hunting permit in another area of the country, where there was reportedly a specific problem elephant bull for his client to shoot.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story!

It shows what happens when everyone is using their brains!

I applaud all parties involved!

Thanks for sharing it Kathi...

This guy certainly needs to be servicing the cows until the other bulls become mature enough to take his role...

Then let the HUNT begin... Big Grin

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Professionalism and game management at its finest...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that.

Sounds like common sense broke out everywhere, not too common these days.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodford
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Don't hear enough good news like this as frequently as we should.

Great story.

Posts: 35 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
A good show by everyone.

I take my hat off especially to these fine ladies

quote:
Ten women from the UK, US, Ireland and Canada walked 130 km through the former Damaraland over five days and raised N$140 000.

Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 813 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That’s fantastic. Well done to all involved. thumb

_ _ __________________ _ _

http://www.pbase.com/greg_j

_ _ __________________ _ _

Posts: 19 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I dunno, if I died, my wives and girlfriends would be in shock but I imagine they could get by with a younger bull or two by lowering their standards....... Wink Roll Eyes dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote