New
Find
Notify
Tools

"extra" fees for Tanzania
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For you Tanzania Travellers- "Extra" fees are popping up for Tanzania, like license, Buffalo tag, rifle permit, block fees, and Tanzania partner fees. The first three I expected but have been taken surprise by the last two. Can I expect more?

Do you think 10K well cover all? That's what it's looking like so far.

I've been kind of taken by surprise because I've not had these in S Africa.

Thanks.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It kind of depends on the operator and contract.

My contracts specified all inclusive except for certain enumerated expenses.

Partner fee?

Not sure what that is?

Essentially, you need to talk with your outfitter. If it wasn’t in your agreement, where you take it is up to you.

This is one of the issues with hunting… bait and switch pricing.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10K total for a hunt in Tz? Don't think so....

Block fee is probably a fee set by the operator to offset his annual block fee. It isn't a Government fee.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Partner fee?

A partner may be an observer but "Tanzania Partner" fees could be questionable and you are within your rights to ask for a clarification as well as any other term that you are unsure of.

Its your money so don't be shy.

Block Fees = Concession fees... been included in quotations for ages.

The word Tag is typically American ... we refer to them as Trophy Fees.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mich- There was not quoted a total of 10K; that is an apparent figure in addition to daily fees.

Thanks for the opinions, guys.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There are more "extra" fees in Tanzania than on the International Space Station.

You need an "all in" quote.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does this happen so much in Tanzania?

Is there something super special about hunting there?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
It is not just Tanzania, all do it.

But, a half decent outfitter will add everything that you want, and give it to you in a single price.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
There are more "extra" fees in Tanzania than on the International Space Station.

You need an "all in" quote.

Yep. What I really love there is the extra charges for booze and soft drinks. As if $1500-2000+/day won’t cover a Coke or a few sundowners. Even if a hunter drank himself in to oblivion every day- and unable to hunt- he wouldn’t drink more than $100/day. TZ is simply overpriced before you get into the charter prices. And I know for an absolute fact that kickbacks from the charter companies occur.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Respectfully disagree. I really like Tanzania and if you hunt with a reputable outfitter, it's a bargain, depending on what you are after.

Now the government has changed the game and prices ex poste facto from time to time. That has to be expected there.

Why is it a bargain? I like hunting buffalo. I can get four now in Tanzania on a 21 day license. That makes it a bargain. Cheaper than multiple trips elsewhere.

Hunt with someone you trust and it's all good, but the government may change the prices.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Cheaper than eating out in the US and expected to pay 25% service charge!
As mentioned above, pick a reputable outfit, and you cannot loose.

Sometimes here you see individuals nitpicking what is being charged for, and they get nowhere.

Decide what you want, and ask how much for it.

End of story.

I have been very lucky in the people I deal with, from different companies.

All above board, exceptionally honest, exceptionally professional.

Total trust between all involved.

I don't pay a deposit, I don't sign a contract.

Just go and hunt, and everyone who comes along has an exceptionally good safari.

I am not an exception.

Many repeat clients get the same treatment from the professionals they deal with.

It is the very few crooks - on both sides - who create problems.

Some are even so stupid to go hunt with an unlicensed crook! rotflmo

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No argument!

Tanzania is still worth it.

But one had better get a full accounting of the costs, many of which are per diem or per occurence, right up front, and beforehand, and run them all through the abacus, or risk being surprised afterwards.

I have had bar bills in the four figures.

But those were because of good taste in fine French wines and British liquors, which we drank before and at dinner, in the wild and bloody wilderness, and also because of a generous spirit, on my part, relative to the sharing of good fellowship, and the aforesaid wines and spirits.

Big Grin Cool Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a separate bar bill in Tanzania. Namibia, yes.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If your safari outfitter or booking agent can’t give you a bottom line price, before trophy fees, go somewhere else. You shouldn’t be forced to try to figure out what you are responsible for paying.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really like Tanzania and if you hunt with a reputable outfitter, it's a bargain, depending on what you are after.

That's the first time I've ever heard the words bargain and Tanzania used in the same sentence. dancing

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is, if you shop around and again, depending on what you are after. I love hunting buffalo and in Tanzania I get four on a 21 day license. Where else can I do that? If you know, tell me. Also, I like cats and lion is a current priority which dovetails with shooting buffalo.

I've priced it, and Zambia's no cheaper.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, $35,000 and probably much more to shoot 4 buffalo. Wow, what a bargain.. 2020
And that’s before you pay enough for an air charter to buy a plane elsewhere. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Hmmmm, $35,000 and probably much more to shoot 4 buffalo. Wow, what a bargain.. 2020
And that’s before you pay enough for an air charter to buy a plane elsewhere. rotflmo

To each their own but I don't get your argument about air charter costs. In Tz, 90% of the air charters offered are using the Cessna C208 aircraft which is a 13 seater plane. Most flight times are in excess of 2hr (and you are rightly charged for the empty leg after dropping you off or when coming to pick you up). Are you saying that if you charter the same type plane for similar flight duration in Zambia, Moz, Zim, Bots, etc it is way cheaper? How much is "way cheaper"?

And if you think only Tanzanian commercial airline companies offer "kick backs" (I call them booking commissions) to operators I suggest you are mistaken. Some hunting operators may decide to 'pass on' the commission to clients in an attempt to make the overall deal more affordable to the client but that does not negate the fact that offering a booking commission on services such as air charters is common practice around the world.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Why do 2 people need to charter a 13 seat plane? We all know why. You, the client, are paying for a plane large enough to bring in the food and supplies the camp/outfitter needs. In other words, shipping costs for the food and drink you are paying $2500-3000/day for are also being subsidized by the client. I flew a Cessna 180 from Dar to the Selous concession of Pano Calavrias years ago so I’m pretty sure smaller planes are available. popcorn

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do 2 people need to charter a 13 seat plane? We all know why. You, the client, are paying for a plane large enough to bring in the food and supplies the camp/outfitter needs. In other words, shipping costs for the food and drink you are paying $2500-3000/day for are also being subsidized by the client. I flew a Cessna 180 from Dar to the Selous concession of Pano Calavrias years ago so I’m pretty sure smaller planes are available. popcorn

Smaller planes are available, and are being used.

Problem depends on the clients and what they have to carry with them.

Hard gun cases are sometimes too big to fit in a small plane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've flown both the Caravan and smaller planes, where it was either just me or me and the PH as passengers. But there was always a lot of baggage, that usually included not only my kit, but the food for my hunt and it was usually pretty good stuff, like vegetables, eggs, fish, lobsters, prawns, etc. I like that stuff and don't want to run out of tea, which happened once.

I don't view that as subsidizing the outfitter's costs. It's just what makes my trip comfortable and a cost of the trip.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Smaller planes are available, and are being used.

Problem depends on the clients and what they have to carry with them.

Hard gun cases are sometimes too big to fit in a small plane.

True. I was thinking next time you may wish to charter a C130. jumping

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS,

Not enough of a strip for that. Had a pilot jokingly say he hoped he had enough strip on a flight out that was the last hunt of the year. We had all the unused alcohol and some auto parts on board. He was joking and we made it just fine, but used most of the strip. Having defended a lot of plane crash cases, I'd have liked it better if he'd have weighed the cargo, but that isn't likely to happen on a grass strip.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A few years ago we managed to stop just short of the trees.

One of the PHs waiting told us he was actually think “oh hell! We have to scrape the bodies out now!”

Having flown out of and into short grass fields, it is always an adventure!

One year our pilot said he needs to turn back to Dar, as his GPS has stopped working.

I told him I have my pocket GPS, which has the location of the airstrip on it.

We used that and continued.

Hunting in Africa IS an adventure!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
DLS,

Not enough of a strip for that.

Uh, that was a joke. Between people and gear, Saeed tends to need a bigger plane than most of us.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot of advise on the whys and wherefores of the woes of Tanzania, it's a complicated series of poorly advised indigenous politicians who have the ability to live on $100 a month or Millions and not a hell of lot changes in there day to day existence..

Yet Tanzania is still the best bang for the buck going, and the closest thing to the walking Safaris of yesteryear.

Most of AFrica today is a shooting contest in some type of enclosure, some of which are ridiculas but others have some interesting hunts on large parcels of land enclosed also..

Deal wisely with your booking agent or PH, take up your issues with them. checking reference can be a good thing, but all outfits can furnish good reference, I wouldn't bother with that, references are a dime a dozen..I don;t recommend special hunt offers at the shows or auctions, deal direct with the person or company rep. I see no need for contracts as you would have to make numerous trips to Africa for a settlement and that is unacceptable, but get it on paper thru the internet chats..Boils down to common since on the hunters part more than anything else, keeping it simple is a good bet. complicated agreements can always be questionable...I found most safari companies and agents to be helpful and honest as a matter of fact, but keep in mind there are those few on both side of the fence that are never satisfied..solve all problems with each other like any business not on the internet where you seldom get the real facts or both sides of the story/ its a fairy tale place.

Based mostly on 40 years in the business and one hell of a good ride, I feel blessed..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote