THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Mozambican Elephant Trophy Importation

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambican Elephant Trophy Importation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Has anyone heard anything lately about the likelihood of USFWS permitting the importation of Mozambican elephant trophies?

Seems I read or heard that efforts were underway and making some progress to that end, but I haven't heard of any results yet.

There are apparently some big tuskers being taken out of the Niassa region - mostly by Europeans, of course, since they can import the trophies.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I talked to John Jackson III in Dallas this year and he did not say anything promising.

He hasoffered to sue the USF&W over the issue in the past.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Wendell. I suppose it's the usual excuse: Not enough data and documentation.

I am sometimes positive that USFWS wants African nations to deforest the world with the kind of requirements they impose on them re: submission of documentation.

All of which, in a case like Moz, for the purpose of substantiating and demonstrating the obvious.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
According to the USF&WS, the reason they won't issue import licences for Mozambican ivory is that they don't consider the country has a responsibly organised Elephant management programme in place. The Mozambican Govt/Game Dept are seemingly trying to clean up their act and get the hunting system better organised by such things as the recent quota changes to favour the coutadas etc.

Although Mozambique hasn't said the reason for this is to hopefully make the USF&WS and other associated organisations look more favourably on the country and it's hunting, I don't think there's much doubt that is the case.

I'm sure it won't happen quickly, but my guess is that it will eventually happen, but probably not retroactively. - That's nothing more than speculation though.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Anyone have an idea of the time frame?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i talked to usfws a couple years ago & was told that it will never happen

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the video Quest for Zimbabwean Big Game? After an unsuccessful try for elephant with a bow in Zim, they plug in some footage of a Moz hunt where Jack Brittingham shoots a 100# bull. The thing is incredible! I wanted to cry thinking he would just have to leave it there.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Nothing in Africa is forever and I'm personally convinced it'll happen sooner or later, my guess is probably not within 5 years or so, but after that, who knows.......

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I know it is an old thread but I was wondering if there have been any developments at all on the importation of ivory from Mozambique to the US. I am guessing not.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I believe nothing has changed.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wendell. I guess I could have saved space on the 'Net and just called you!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote