New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for a PH??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having the PH with whom I will be hunting in '13 to dinner tomorrow night. We have had several discussions already but am curious. Those who have already gone to Africa...if you had to do it for the first time again, what would you ask of your PH before you went this time?? Thanks.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Apropos to some of the other recent posts, I think one might be: "You aren't gonna bang my wife when I'm in the long-drop, are you?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Apropos to some of the other recent posts, I think one might be: "You aren't gonna bang my wife when I'm in the long-drop, are you?"

Or "while your here do you want to?, and I'll trade you for some trophy fees and save the observer day rate also."

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that just ain't gonna happen for a multitude of reasons! first one would be she would slap the s(*&^%#$@#l out of him!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
On a serious note, i'd get the whole, "At what point are you gonna start firing at the animal?" Question out of the way. That seems to generate a little bit of worry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To some extent it depends on what type of hunt you are going on.

I would tend to be more particular with a dangerous game hunt.

Some questions would be:

How often/long have you been hunting the concession I will be hunting?

How much experience do you have with DG?

What would you assess my chances of getting my target species?

Would you select a different area to hunt my principle species?

What will be the daily procedure for the hunt?

Will we be going back to camp at noon each day, or will we be hunting the whole day?

Are there provisions for a spare vehicle if we have a serious breakdown?

(my personal bug a boo) Any risk/relative likelihood of encountering venomous snakes?

Will we be staying in a established camp or will we have the option if needed of spike camping?

How long have you been working with your trackers?

And, of course, what are the ground rules for your back up and for me to start shooting if I feel things are going bad (ele charges, etc.)

Any particular little camp luxuries (battery fan,etc.) that I would like to have?

Really, most of this would have been answered before I got to the point of meeting my PH, but I do like to verify things with them.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Here's one.....Ask him to refrain from the whole: come as a client leave as a friend bullshit, it wont help your tip.

Your not even a memory after the cruiser door closes. Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since there always seems to be a great deal of discussion and concern on here about transporting shooting sticks and tripods to the ends of the earth, it might be useful to ask what type of shooting support he will have for you to use, so that you can make or buy a duplicate to use for practice at home.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Islay or Highland, Ice or water?

animal beer

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

animal yuck animal

Almost Bardlike phraseology! tu2 jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask him why he is in the States right in the middle of hunting season.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's one.....Ask him to refrain from the whole: come as a client leave as a friend bullshit, it wont help your tip.

Your not even a memory after the cruiser door closes.

Good point and one that may save you some disappointment in the future. Never forget a safari is a business deal plain and simple. Your PH provides a service that you pay for and he provides that service for many people just like you each year.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
quote:

Good point and one that may save you some disappointment in the future. Never forget a safari is a business deal plain and simple. Your PH provides a service that you pay for and he provides that service for many people just like you each year.

Mark

You mean they don't lay awake and pine away for us after we leave???? WTF???

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

That was my first thought when I read the question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they only lay awake if you owe them more money Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

..............ME TOO! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

That is pretty cynical. I KNOW I am the favorite client of all the PHs I have hunted. Well maybe with Martin it is a tossup between bwanamrm and me. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

..............ME TOO! Confused

He comes over this time of year to make the rounds of hunting shows. i.e. Southern Trophy Hunter's Big Buck Expo. And I asked the same question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is pretty cynical. I KNOW I am the favorite client of all the PHs I have hunted. Well maybe with Martin it is a tossup between bwanamrm and me. Eeker

Mike,
I think we all fall for the whole "romance of Africa" thing, I know I have. I learned some sorrowful lessons over the years that if some on this board (some with lots and lots and lots of experience) would take will save them tons of money and hard learned lessons. I have been over an even 20 times now, at 50 years old thats more than my fair share.

I have no regrets but going forward...........

And Mike, its more honest than cynical.

Sincerely

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask if the Game Scouts help to make the hunt or ruin it

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

Islay or Highland is a legitimate question. Ice or water? Complete sacrilege.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be sure both parties are on the same page on method of payments at the end of the hunt. If you have a contract, this is a good time to be sure you're both reading the same thing. Be sure you are aware of what costs are excluded from the daily rate and need paid at hunts end. Discuss whether you want a walking safari with little use of the truck or whether you are willing to spot and stalk from the truck. Ask whether game is served regularly and let him know if you prefer otherwise. I don't like liver, heart etc. and have had a couple meals of potatoes and salad because I never discussed menu in advance. My fault!
Ask for his list of items you need. Most outfitters have this to keep down our tendency to bring too much.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all .....time for dinner!

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:

There was a time I would have agreed with that, but now two of my best friends are PH's in SA.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
quote:

There was a time I would have agreed with that, but now two of my best friends are PH's in SA.

As long as the ATM continues to spit out $$$$$$

I agree these friendships exist, I think they just tend to be one sided affairs.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOu are about to give him a metric crap tone of your very hard earned cash and for many here this is a once in a lifetiem trip.

I would say feel free to ask him anythign you want.

Personally I met with my PH 3 times when he was here in the off season over 4 years before I finally was able to put it all together. He and his grascious wife answered all my questions and even asked me more back.

I asked questions about such things as average shot distances and the longestpossible shot I might have to make based upon the game I wanted to hunt. WHen I was ther e it was almost exactly as he said.

I asked about what kind of shooting sticks, what woudl be kept on the trucks, what the duites of each person with us would be. basically TONS of questions.

Then I asked what would be involved in transporting me to the nearest town (Rustenberg SA NW PRovince) so that I could referee a rugby match should I be able to arrange it and tehy said no problem. Heck 3 of them came to watch me referee and take some pictures for me.

They asked if I had any special dietary needs (none). Or any thing special I liked to drink. ( I drink very little) Did I have any special allergery? (none) or addictions like caffiene or nicotine? ( I told them yes redheads which got a good chuckle).

I asked about just a heck of a lot of stuff.

If you are going to drop that kind of coin I say ask anything you feel like.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one question my PH cleared up for me was what loads to bring. Like solids vs. softs etc.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a reputable booking agent, all questions should be answerable by him

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ice or Water?????????????? you bloody heathens !!!!
The only thing you add to a good Scotch is another one !!!!

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Toilet paper or leaves and rocks?
Get the important stuff out of the way.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

Alister said, "Steve ... Steve who???" animal Big Grin

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ask him whatever you want. Everyone is different and people care about different things. If something is important to you, bring it up. If you are talking about the hunting, questions will inevitably answer themselves.

Obvious questions are game numbers and quality of each, camp, food, terrain and hunting difficulty. Just get a reasonable expectation as to what this is all about.

The conversation will lead you to ask questions you didn't know to ask.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Ask all the question you want but for me the most important thing is if we will get along well while hunting.

Spending time together will let you know if you will "click" or not.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Ask him if he will pay for dinner.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Make sure he knows you have emergency evac insurance and where you carry your card when you are in the field, don't leave sat phone at the camp! Unless your shooting just plains game then make sure he knows where you carry the no-doz

Posts: 1 | Location: US | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
This isn't really a question but direct the conversation in an way where you will be able to get a better feel for whether this is a person you want to hunt with for whatever duration your hunt is. It sounds like you've already booked with him but first impressions won't reveal whether or not you'll enjoy his company or he will enjoy yours. Find out what would cause a bait and switch (e.g. what other hunts is he advertising or perhaps could get lured away from you with more money or a spendier list of targets that yours). Find out how he responds when the hunting is tough or the hunt is not going as planned and think back to your hunting buddies or hunts that were f'ed up and determine whether you would be comfortable facing adversity with him. Most of these guys have heard all the hunting logistics and small talk a million times so I would take the conversation away from that dribble.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask him if he has ever spent any time in a Turkish Prison...

God I crack myself up...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
"Apropos to some of the other recent posts, I think one might be: "You aren't gonna bang my wife when I'm in the long-drop, are you?"

Made me LOL!

"I think we all fall for the whole "romance of Africa" thing, I know I have. I learned some sorrowful lessons over the years..."

Gave me a bad visual of a night-time leopard blind escapade! (Apropos to some of the other recent posts... forgive me.) No disrespect intended! And an admitted "out of context" bastardization of your original theme... I just couldn't help myself after I started laughing.

"Ask him if he has ever spent any time in a Turkish Prison..."

Made me spew my beer on my dog, who was sleeping on the floor nearby. I have learned to turn my head away from my laptop thru trial and error!

Man, I love this forum!

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found out the hard way never to ask the Ph for a refill on my scotch. MY arm will be out of the cast in a week or two and I have been drinking without the straw for three whole days now. I'm sure he did not know I was behind the truck as he slammed it into revers. you know those dam rd jeeps are a minass rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Friends may not be the right word, but you would like to know how you will get along before hunting with a PH. None of my customers are friends, but there are some that I would not mind sharing a hunting camp with and others that I would not be stuck with for 14 days no matter how much they buy from me.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 634 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote