THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Short story (NOT "The Most Dangerous Game")

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short story (NOT "The Most Dangerous Game")
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
I remember a story in literature class about a cape buffalo hunt gone wrong -- basically the guy was stranded up a tree with only a handgun left to finally end the dilemma. He dreams of "myriads" of buffalo charges underneath the tree, "myriads" of attempts to draw the buff within handgun range with a rope/lasso swung below, "myriads" of shot with the handgun into the buff as he charges the rope beneath the tree, etc.

Hope one of the Africa hands can help...

Thanx
Barry

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
'On Safari' .. by Theodore J. Waldeck .. Viking Press .. 1956

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Was the guy up the tree Elgin Gates? Was the handgun a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum with AP ammunition? That's the story I remember, but it's been forever . . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...481017912#4481017912

Dogleg should fill us in...

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Well alrighty then...the book is indeed "On Safari" by Waldeck (1940). On page 128 (Chapter 14) you'd find the story "That Infinite Capacity For Taking Pains" and details abandonment by his gunbearer, using a Colt .45 automatic to deal with an African water buffalo [sic] eventually dispatched with his rifle and an eight-millimeter (Mauser) bullet. In the absence of his hunting friend Smith, Waldeck's nightmare experience resulted in "a myriad of safety pins, a myriad of knives, a myriad of lines, (and) a myriad of automatics" in dreams the rest of his life.