Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which bullet?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys going on my first Safari! doing plains game so I am taking 300wsm which handle load should I bring 180 Accubond? or 168 tipped triple shock? both shoot well out of my gun. The only thing I have found on deer size animals is hit them anywhere with the accubond they are dead! the triple shock is a great bullet but gut shoot a deer and you wont find them! what do you guys think? and am I going to have problems bring handle loads into South Africa?

Posts: 14 | Location: Ssakatchewan | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Point one... shoot a Deer in the guts with "any" bullet and you may not find it. Don't blame the TSX.

I've used the 168 TSX on many African animals and they work great.

No problem bringing handloads to Africa... just put them in "Orginal Factory" boxes and let it go at that.

Enjoy teh trip.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
If your shooting the 180 gr. why not the tipped TSX in 180???

I love them in all my rifles and in Africa they are the way to go in my opinion.. Destructive..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
The Swift A-Frame gets my vote. I killed 28 animals with them last year in Namibia. I recovered 3 Bullets. Perfect mushroom. I have used about every other brand there is, but I will go with the Swift Bullets when I can from now on. My .02 cents worh. My Rifle was a .300 RUM

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The North Fork bullets served me well in the Selous on Buffalo and plains game. You cannot shoot a more accurate yet tough bullet IMO. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TeamHC&B:
The only thing I have found on deer size animals is hit them anywhere with the accubond they are dead! the triple shock is a great bullet but gut shoot a deer and you wont find them! what do you guys think?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey guys going on my first Safari! doing plains game so I am taking 300wsm which handle load should I bring 180 Accubond? or 168 tipped triple shock? both shoot well out of my gun. The only thing I have found on deer size animals is hit them anywhere with the accubond they are dead! the triple shock is a great bullet but gut shoot a deer and you wont find them! what do you guys think? and am I going to have problems bring handle loads into South Africa?

Welcome to AR!
If you do a search on bullets on this forum you will get more info than you want and a lot of opinions. Generally they boil down to this.
1. Use a premium bullet (Northfork, Swift, Barnes, etc.)
2. Go on the heavy side for caliber (180 on up for 30cal although 165 should be OK)
3. Practice like hell
4. Shot placement
5. Shot placement
6. Go with an open mind and have a great time.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Having used the .300 WSM in Africa to take over 70 plains game, I would definitely suggest a 180 grain bullet. I have successfully used the Winchester XP3, the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, the Winchester Fail Safe, the Accubond, and the Trophy Bonded Tip Bullet. Others who have hunted with me have used the Barnes bullet with success. I absolutely love the new Trophy Bonded Tip Bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
quote:

Welcome to AR!
If you do a search on bullets on this forum you will get more info than you want and a lot of opinions. Generally they boil down to this.
1. Use a premium bullet (Northfork, Swift, Barnes, etc.)
2. Go on the heavy side for caliber (180 on up for 30cal although 165 should be OK)
3. Practice like hell
4. Shot placement
5. Shot placement
6. Go with an open mind and have a great time.

Agreed!

Especially the double emphasis on shot placement. thumb

It is a big mistake to think that you can gut shoot an animal with any bullet and expect to recover it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180 grain TSX or Swift A Frame would be my choice

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with phoenixdawg, 180 tsx (tipped or not), or swift A frame. Both have served me well on several trips to africa.
Practice a lot, especially off shooting sticks and then take your sticks on your safari. Enjoy!

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I am by no means an authority, on my one and only PG safari I shot a 300 RUM with 180 grain TSX's. All shots resulted in one shot kills with no long tracking jobs.

I did shoot a few animals with a bow and they were all relatively short tracking jobs also. It boils down to good shot placement but a quality bullet certainly helps.

The only advice I might add is spend a good deal of time practice shooting from sticks.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd put Eland in a different category if you are including them as plainsgame. I like heavy bullets. I don't like a .30 cal. for more than a man-sized 200 lb animal, but I'm often criticized for overkill. My .416 Rem. Mag. with 400 gr. TBBC is hell on whitetail does and turkeys -- as well as buffalo.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most folks on this forum handload including myself. If you do not you might try Winchesters XP3 load in 180 gr.
It is a hybrid bullet that has the forward characteristivs of a tipped X bullet and the shank of a Swift A frame.
I have shot some out of a 300 WSM and they were accurate in my rifle. Not sure of the terminal effects but the concept is spot on. In essences a shorter X bullet with a polymer tip. Alot like the Barnes MRX.
They also have a black coating which is supposed to reduce barrel friction. I think it works because when shooting on a bench, the barrel does not heat up as fast.
EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use good quality 180g bulets for all SA plains game in my 30/06. I prefer 180g to 168g on tough game like wildebeest because of the added penetration. For eland I use a 375.

Posts: 33 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180gr bullet or even better 190gr or 200gr

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
eezridr: The terminal effects of the Winchester XP3? Very terminal. I shot a number of plains game animals in Zimbabwe last July-August, including a giraffe, all with the Winchester 180 grain XP3 from the 300WSM. They work like a charm!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the 180 grain Accubond. I do not expect that you will have any problems taking handloads into SA.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 180 MRX bullet out of a 300wsm, on my 07 Namibia hunt. I recovered a few bullets, if you wanna take a look search Gras ranch July 2007.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hello TeamHC&B,

In another window of this forum, "best bullets," or some such, I was verbally lynched for describing what my favorite PH (and a fair mob of other PH's I had spoken with) said about bullets during my admitted only three trips to Africa.
Therefore, at this stage, I believe I will put some ice in a glass, pour in some Bombay Sapphire and some Schwepps Tonic, squeeze in a lime wedge, then plug "Trader Horn" into my DVD player. I'll then prop my .450 #2Nitro SxS in the corner where I can keep an eye on it and sit back to enjoy the movie. Best of luck with your bullet question.

Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of My24462
posted Hide Post
Unless you're planning only to hunt small plain game, like impala, blesbuck, warthog, reedbuck etc . . .

It preferably use 180gr or 200gr. You're spending a lot of money on the safari, use a heavy bullet just for a little bit reassurance.

Have fun & enjoy !!! Big Grin

Welcome to South African, which region are you going to hunt in South Africa?

Posts: 15 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot literally hundreds of African plains game animals - from duikers to eland - with 270 caliber rifles, using various bullets from 130 grain Barnes X, 140 grains Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and 150 grain Jensens.

All worked great, and I have never felt anything is missing.

Again, as Terry said above, hit them in the right place and they will die, hit them in the wrong place and you have a problem.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are many bullets better than the accubond, in my humble opinion it is the worst "premium" grade bullet for African plains game

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Onefunzr2,

Thank goodness we didn't have to "Man the Lifeboat" on this one.

quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
The only thing I have found on deer size animals is hit them anywhere with the accubond they are dead! the triple shock is a great bullet but gut shoot a deer and you wont find them! what do you guys think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
Have you recovered any of the Jensens?

I have some in 375 H&H, 300gr and 235gr but I have not shot anygame with them yet.

When I shot them into some ballistic media I was not impressed.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote