Find
Notify
Tools

Average tusk weight...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
I've changed the topic title to see if someone else gives more information....

Which is the average elephant tusk weight in these days in: Zambia, Zim, Tanz, Mozambique and Namibia???

Thanks
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

What makes you think that question is off-topic? Because it isn't inflammatory or insulting to someone? Wink

I think its an interesting question...looking forward to the answers.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Actually, that is not off topic. It is right on topic! thumb

Your question is a generalization of the countries. Take Namibia for example. The Elephants in the Caprivi maybe are 50-55 on average (trophies taken, not average Elephant).

Nye Nye conservancy, 65-70 lbs or so is average. In the some of the interior conservancies, where there are very few Elephant taken, maybe 35-40 is average.

Same with the other countries. Weights vary across Tanzania. Selous Elephant may average 40-45 (not sure?). Western Tanzania they are bigger. In Kigosi the average was in the upper 50's. I had two clients hunt Elephant there and they came out with a 70 and a 65. Above average for the area.

I would venture a guess that Northern Moz would produce big Ivory, but also even in the Zambezi valley of West Moz, they took very good Elephant.

A better question would be what the average is in specific areas of each of these countries.

Kind of like saying "What is the average Whitetail that comes out of Texas." We have areas that produce really big Whitetail and areas where a small Whitetail is a rare trophy.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Big Grin

Wendell,
Thanks a lot. I understand that is difficult to answer so many pounds here so many there..but your answer is a good "reference".

I thought that maybe Zambia was a good place due the banning that country suffer for so many years.

Thanks a lot.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote