THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Karatu (Tanzania) officials say "NO" to hunting firm

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karatu (Tanzania) officials say "NO" to hunting firm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Karatu Officials Say 'No' to Hunting Firm

Arusha Times (Arusha)

July 31, 2005
Posted to the web August 4, 2005

Staff Writer
Arusha

KARATU district Council in has turned down a request from the United Arab Emirates based tourist hunting company known as Tanzania U.A.E Safari Ltd, which wanted to exploit a wide variety of wildlife in the Lake Eyasi basin for tourist hunting.

The district officials have dismissed the plea on grounds that the company's proposal was not clear on the mode of the 'intended operations.'

In their full council meeting held on 12th July, 2005, the councilors wanted to be first shown the contract and its terms of reference, prior to granting the Abudhabhi- based, hunting company the green light to hunt around Lake Eyasi basin.

"We actually wanted to see the contract itself, the hunting company profiles, its objectives (if any) as well as thorough explanations on how the company will guarantee the sustainable utilization of wildlife," the chairman for Karatu District Council, Lazaro Titus explained in a telephone interview.

The counselor however referred this paper to contact the Karatu District Executive Director, Solanus Nyimbi for more details with regard to the controversial issue. Nyimbi gave the version which partly confirmed the stand.

"The full council meeting which sat on the 12th July this year, did not exactly halt the request," said Nyimbi. "In fact the councilors were ready to endorse the request but pending on the agreed condition." .

Quoting the official record of the full council meeting proceedings, the DED said the councilors first wanted to know the position of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism with regard to the matter.

The District Director, further added that the councilors in Karatu also wanted to know how will the surrounding community benefit from hunting operations.

"The total guarantee of sustainable utilization of their natural resources particularly wildlife so as to ensure the animals won't be forced to move away from their Lake Eyasi basin eco-system, due to gunshots, was one of their conditions," Nyimbi said.

Lake Eyasi basin historically reserved as the most important corridor for immigrants wildlife, for animals moving between Lake Manyara National park and the Ngorongoro Crater basin.

A salt lake situated between the Rift Valley's Eyasi escarpment and the Kidero Mountains, the area around Lake Eyasi is home to the Hadzabe Bushmen, some of the last remaining hunter-gatherers on the continent.

The Hadzabe have inhabited the Acacia forests and scrub land around the Lake Eyasi area for reportedly over 10,000 years and visits to nearby clans can be arranged through local guides in the area. Gun echoes due to proposed hunting activities may again scare these bushmen away.

South-west of Karatu and the Ngorongoro Crater, lies the northern shore of Lake Eyasi, a mildly alkaline lake stretching for about 50km to the south-west.

To the north-east the horizon is dominated by the Crater Highlands, to the north, beyond an escarpment the plains of the Serengeti. Over 100 years ago when the stronger Masaii tribes moved into the Ngorongoro and Serengeti, the Datoga and other indigenous Bushmen living there were pushed south. Lake Eyasi, its surrounding bushy and forests, became their home.

The meadows along the shores of the lake and the forests are home to a wide variety of wildlife including leopard, hippo, a variety of monkeys, various birds, greater and lesser flamingos, storks and pelicans.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Kathi & Guests

This report seems to partly bear out the (general information overview) in the last African Indaba e-newletter volume3 #4 July 2005, published by our friend Gerhard Damn //

Brief excerpt only /

Tanzania: Hunting Concession Allocated to Abu Dhabis

By Sariah Kaaya

Credible information from reliable official and nongovernmental organization sources in Tanzania said that a hunting concession will be allocated to the royal family of Abu Dhabi by the Tanzania Government. The hunting block lies in Yaida Ward, Mbulu District, near Lake Eyasi in Northern Tanzania. The 3 villages affected are Yaida Chini, Mongo wa Mono and Eshkesh.

The area is mainly populated by Barabaig peasants and livestock-keepers and Hadza hunters and gatherers. The Hadza are the last bushmen of Tanzania and still depend on using wild natural resources in Yaida Ward. The Government has not confirmed that the block will be allocated

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
unfortunately for the Hadzabe and for wildlife, that area is doomed. The U.A.E. will eventually get the concession - heck they can buy the whole country if they wanted!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
What is their intention? To make it a private hunting concession, or a commercial one?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Private. This is for the Royal family and guests.

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Holy Smoke

Tanzania is becoming a much sought after destination, I hope that it does not get plundered tooooo much as there is a limit to hunting and the $$$ value to the government might blind their vision possibly !!!

Hell if the Abu Dhabi's miss out in Tanzan I will seriously offer them the SA ranch for 1.1 million ( bells whistles and lights) and they can hunt to their hearts content in comfort, mind you it only has plains game species on it so I dont know, but they sure can enjoy themselves with entourage and any other VIP guests they might want to bring along Eeker

HELLO SAEED /// HELP !!!

Please can you put a (good word in for me) if they miss out in Tanzania,

They can have a total (100% going concern) exclusive ranch ALL to themselves, with lots of (plains game species) included. We will give them a very good deal believe me Big Grin

I can find out the approximate list of animals on the property, they would be worth a fortune alone forgetting the value of the land lodge houses and private airstrip/hanger that is on the property

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I thought you were selling the ranch to us here at AR? Confused

Is that price of $1,100,000 all inclusive of game, or just an attempt to gouge a bigger price out of the rich guys? Wink

We never did get a firm price - did we? thumb

Les

PS I know, I know - hijack

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
Peter,

I thought you were selling the ranch to us here at AR? Confused

Is that price of $1,100,000 all inclusive of game, or just an attempt to gouge a bigger price out of the rich guys? Wink

We never did get a firm price - did we? thumb

Les

PS I know, I know - hijack

Hi Les /

YOU are correct .... We did NOT come up with a firm price for the AR GUESTS scenario.

I was only going on my (rough guess-temate) based upon when I was persoanally visiting at the ranch over 2.5 years ago.

The (game numbers) in particular and economical situation has changed since then ... remembering that (essentially) apart for the quality of the Lodge, Chalets, Owners House, and all other existing buildings/plant on this ranch, the MAIN VALUE in this and ANY game farm are the (existing game species)

The 1.1 million amount DOES INCLUDE all the existing plains game animals.

The only animal species not included are the 4 x White Rhino // I dont know what they are worth at todays prices, BUT they aint cheap to you and me, maybe to the Abu Dhabi's they are !!

That price is a bargain to the AR guys, and to the rich guys I would say it would not even put a dent in their wallet.

If they were considering or contemplating paying in excess of 300-400K or even 500K !!(just for a concession fee) in Tanzania then the 1.1 million for a full blown ranch is a steal IMHO

Peter

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread was about Arabs buying off concessions in Tanzania for their personal and exclusive hunting playgrounds.

Not yet another real estate advertisement Roll Eyes.

Back on topic.

I think it is very sad if a concession (and how many more in the future?) are bought up for personal and exclusive use in this way.

I wonder does anyone else know of other concessions already owned for personal and exclusive hunting by the owners?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder does anyone else know of other concessions already owned for personal and exclusive hunting by the owners?

Google "Loliondo Dubai" and you will see why why Abu Dhabi wants its own concession, trying to keep up with the folks from Dubai. Wink

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumeti Reserves (Ex VIP safaris) in Tanzania....