New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest Zim Tax
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Getting ready for my zim trip in 3 weeks. Going thru the paper work.

Looks like Zim now imposes a 15 percent VAT on trophies that are not exported, bait animals and wounded game.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The government seems desperate. They are rapidly pricing themselves out of the market. Unfortunately, they may end up like Tanzania.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
15 percent VAT on trophies that are not exported, bait animals and wounded game.

Granted that nobody likes to be taxed but VAT is alive and well all over Europe yet nobody seems to throw a fit about paying it.

VAT will be refunded if the goods are exported and upon presentation of the purchase receipt. What's all the fuss about? .... or is it because VAT is non existent in the USA?

Africa is slowly evolving and thus keeping in step with the civilized West and ... in case some of you don't know, it is the work of organizations like the IMF and WB that impose/train the Tax man in the backward African states on how and where to apply tax in different forms if they want to benefit from loans, grants, etc.

South Africa is VAT applicable on all purchases yet there's not a peep from the crowd or is the VAT element in some areas hidden or tailored into the cost? Wink

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The government trophy fee on a buff for example is already insanely high. They have a host of taxes already. Now they are adding this. My understanding is that it will not be refunded. It adds more or less $750 to the cost of a buff.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The government trophy fee on a buff for example is already insanely high. They have a host of taxes already. Now they are adding this. My understanding is that it will not be refunded. It adds more or less $750 to the cost of a buff.

Supply and demand being the main culprit.

BTW compare trophy fee on Buffalo between TZ and RSA - yes, the entire hunt will be cheaper overall due to lower daily rates and you know the reason for that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

+1

It's just a tax by zim govt on international hunters.

Now if you shoot anything in zim that is not exported - bait, wounded animals or animals shot for photo only - there will be an additional 15 percent tax.

What about all the guys going to zim to support the operators and zim from USFW elephant import ban. Now zim govt charges you an additional 15 percent for the privilege of leaving the ivory or skin with your ph.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the comments, like about VAT being prevalent in Europe, ignore the situation in Zimbabwe, where this "taxation" simply goes to the misruling party as various slush funds.

They have an "election" coming up (which everyone knows who has already "won") and intimidation and violence cost money. Funds so genetated certainly don't benefit the people or contribute to the national infrastructure.

If you drive from Harare to Bulawayo you will pass through 15-20 police roadblocks, minimum. It''s worse than Congo-Brazzaville back in the dark ages of the eighties, (but at least these parasites haven't yet figured out that they could also require you to produce a passport at each one) and the news today predicted that the "police" expect to raise $60 million this year from traffic fines.

The rot is complete, and they are desperate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
15 percent VAT on trophies that are not exported, bait animals and wounded game.

Granted that nobody likes to be taxed but VAT is alive and well all over Europe yet nobody seems to throw a fit about paying it.

VAT will be refunded if the goods are exported and upon presentation of the purchase receipt. What's all the fuss about? .... or is it because VAT is non existent in the USA?

Africa is slowly evolving and thus keeping in step with the civilized West and ... in case some of you don't know, it is the work of organizations like the IMF and WB that impose/train the Tax man in the backward African states on how and where to apply tax in different forms if they want to benefit from loans, grants, etc.

South Africa is VAT applicable on all purchases yet there's not a peep from the crowd or is the VAT element in some areas hidden or tailored into the cost? Wink

I would not expect optional tax policy from a government that had 78.6 billion percent inflation a month (November 2008). All tax in Zim have a single objective and it aint public welfare.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really, then why are places like the Bubye not meeting their quotas?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Suggestion: Gary Duckworth says he is telling his hunters to at least export the tail of bait animals to avoid the tax on those. As for shooting trophy animals and not exporting it would seem the tax will apply. I think since the intent on the elephant is to export "when" it becomes allowed by US, F&G the tax will not apply. Could be the same on lion. I'll try to get confirmation on that. BTW this 15% is on top of the existing trophy fee tax.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Is the existing trophy fee tax amount included in the amount subject to the new VAT tax? i.e. a tax on a tax?

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

Probably due to being over rated and over priced compared to other African hunting destinations.

Give me a break, $6,000 for a Buffalo? ... $8,500 for Leopard ... $6,500 for Sable? .... $2,000 for a Bushbuck? .... last but not least $47,500 for a Lion?

Even the Bubye has 15% VAT + Taxes on Daily Rates & Trophy fees but like I said earlier, because most of these areas are either game ranches or tracts of land that allow for permanent habitation, the related logistics costs are more than halved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Rec'd confirmation that the 15% tax DOES apply to lion, trophy elephant and tuskless. Non-trophy/non-exportable elephant and buffalo are exempt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW this 15% is on top of the existing trophy fee tax.

ZIM quickly learn from (TRA) Tanzania Revenue Authority.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Probably due to being over rated and over priced compared to other African hunting destinations.

Give me a break, $6,000 for a Buffalo? ... $8,500 for Leopard ... $6,500 for Sable? .... $2,000 for a Bushbuck? .... last but not least $47,500 for a Lion?

Even the Bubye has 15% VAT + Taxes on Daily Rates & Trophy fees but like I said earlier, because most of these areas are either game ranches or tracts of land that allow for permanent habitation, the related logistics costs are more than halved.

That's why I will probably go elsewhere like Moz for my next safari

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Choose your outfitter carefully though; all that glisters is not gold. Wink

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And this applies to all countries!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Believe me, I have ZERO worries there..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You can't fix stupid( or greedy) and Zim has an over abundance of both among the morons in charge.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is sad. I have had some great safaris in Zim. I have some good friends there. I see a trip to Zambia in the future.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It IS sad. My last trip to Zim will be coming up in August. I see Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana or Zambia in any future trips, but not Zimbabwe. Government greed knows no end there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Believe me, I have ZERO worries there..

You're beginning to sound like someone we know. Big Grin