New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meopta 1.5x5 20 MM scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone familiar with the Meopta brand of scopes.
Read a recent article comparing them with Swarovski and Zeiss.

Was curious to hear any other "realistc" feedback.
thanks in advance,

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I own one. My advice is to buy yourself one before the prices go up!

Optically, mine is comparable to my Swarovski (30mm) scope.

The only difference I can see is in the weight. which is to say not that the meopta is heavy, but rather that the swarovs and zeiss have gotten considerably lighter in the recent models.

From that perspective, I'd say it's comparable to the S&B, as they seem to be heavier than their swarov and zeiss counterparts.

And, yes, it's noticibly clearer, sharper and brighter than a leupold (I've compared it to some of those as well.)

Overall... you can't go wrong and for the money, there's not a better 30mm "european" scope that I can reccomend.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two, and will be buying another soon.

They are fantastic for the money.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I have that scope on a 416 Rigby. Good optics, nice eye relief. Another good choice for the $$$, but a bit bigger is the Docter Optic 1.5-6x42. Right up there with Zeiss in the clarity department, for about 1/2 the price (30mm to 30mm).

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My next two scopes will be the Meopta 6x45. I have used (and sold) a Zeiss and a Swarovski both in 6x45 after comparing them under all light conditions. The prices will inevitably go up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We used to be the Indian distributirs for Metro Optical of Czechoslovakia many years ago for their crown lenses and flint buttons. The company produced budget products of good quality and still do. Zeiss was amalgamated with Carl Zeiss of Jena after the German reunification and subsequently they bought Humphrey in the US - the cheaper range of Zeiss scopes are made on Humphrey machinery at the Humphrey plants here and they are complete trash. There still are high grade Zeiss scopes made in Jena and those would beat any Meopta scope ever made in quality albeit at a substantially higher price. Swarovski scopes are on par with top quality Zeiss scopes or Schmidt und Bender products. Meopta are good but they would not come close in lens quality. There are several companies in Europe especially in the East who make very high grade glass in different refractive indices for scopes etc and Meopta were never known as one of the finest for either their glass or for the quality of the coatings on them. They would compare well with the Japanese and be a better product. There is no way that they could compare with the best from Germany or even Russia.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They seem to have very short eye-relief of around 3.1".

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks this is all good feedback!

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of US distributor or how to acquire. I tried to web search and web page will not open. Ideas or contacts?

Thanks

York, SC

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
SWFA carries them.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks new guy. Found it. Is this a good supplier, etc. that others have history with?

York, SC

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are very reputable and many guys here purchase from them.

Their prices are very good as well.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I bought a 6x42 a few weeks ago on ebay in the uk. Cost about $170 equivalent.

I have S&B scopes, which are my benchmark. Is the meopta as good? No. But it is damn close for a fraction of the price. Certainly as good as any US based scope I have looked through.

I bought mine for a CZ .22mag. Seemed right, Czech scope and rifle combo. Perfect for that job.

You can pick them up on the Us ebay every day in life.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same thing I did for my "custom" engraved 550 in .416...Czech rifle, Cezch optic...perfect!

Agree with previous post; ain't an S&B, but a damn'd good optic overall!

JW

one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
What is the difference in the various models? Artemis vs Meostar?

Thanks
crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question!
Anyone know?

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Artemis has been the model name they have been using for a few years. The Meostar seems to be the name used on the latest model ranges. At least, I have only seen the name appear in magazine ads in Europe in the past few months.

Regards

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, the meostar is the newer brand name.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone familiar with the Meopta brand of scopes.
Read a recent article comparing them with Swarovski and Zeiss.

Was curious to hear any other "realistc" feedback.
thanks in advance,

For prices on Meopta try:
gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Doug is with Camera Land, New York;
http://www.cameralandny.com

He is pricing and selling beau coup scopes (no Leupolds) over on 24 hour campfire.;
http://www.24hourcampfire.com

May be worth your while to check it out. No gray market items, all have factory warranty. If you visit that site, click on Optics and you'll also see a list of Nikon refurbs that he has for sale with 25 yr warranties. I picked up a 15x40 60mm Sky and Earth model spotting scope from him for 175$. It's brand new, not a scratch or mar on it and has flawless optics throughout the 15-45 pwr ranges. Just info and fwiw.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Meopta, forgot to mention, Bear Basin has/had them also.

http://www.bearbasin.com

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote