Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Hunting Photos Request
 Login/Join

<Peter V>
posted
Hi all,

Our friend Nickudu's postings of vintage hunting pics has got me on a mission. I have started accumulating vintage (circa 1870 early 1900's) hunting photographs from old safari books, journals, actual old family photos and some web images.

I have scanned and printed a number of pics for framing and display in my gun room they really do look good!!

Bottom line is I need more, kinda like collecting anything, once started you can't stop so I'd be much obliged for pointers and links to additional pictures that I may use.

Many thanks

posted Hide Post
"I'll show you mine if you show me yours!"

Now where have I heard that before?

[Wink] [Smile]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I'll show you mine if you show me yours!"
Can I watch? [Razz]

Posts: 19213 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Peter

I have some from South Australia from a Hunt Club which you might find interesting.

When they are up on the web I will drop you an email. If I forget drop me one. Probably within two or three weeks.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of signed pics of Fred bear. One is with the tiger he took with a bow. I could scan it for you.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Please include me, I have many to share in exchange. I am also very interested in photos of very large crocodiles. Thanks

<Peter V>
posted
Hoo boy kinda started something;

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours!",
Now where have I heard that before?, Can I watch?

Thanks for the repsonses so far; Nick - keep tabs on your email, I send you some / point you to a webserver with pics posted soonest.

I've a lunch meeting with the editor of the African Sporting Gazette next week - will twist his arm some for a few pictures from their stock.

Regards

[ 03-27-2003, 18:39: Message edited by: Peter V ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, Nick....

Here's a shot of me with a croc I caught while I was in Zim last year. I would have shot him, but he was too small.

-

You'll notice that all the trackers were wearing ceremonial hats common with that particular tribe, known as the "Krew" people.

It got quite exciting when he saw us approaching and submerged in a dark pool. Then I had to tie a rope around my waist and dive for him. On the fourth dive, I found his head, tied the rope and held on. He began to tire after only a couple of hours, and we drug him ashore. Quite fun, what?

Now I make sure to include at least 1 day of croc diving on all my safaris. [Cool]

Rick.

[ 03-27-2003, 19:20: Message edited by: rick3foxes ]

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
duplicate...

[ 03-27-2003, 19:20: Message edited by: rick3foxes ]

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ric, That's some "crock" allright. [Wink]

13'5" Gator, professed to be as big as 18' but that's a "crock" too! [Big Grin]

Peter, Thank You. Let me know exactly what you want, just Africa or what. Regards .... N

Oh, and check out my other thread: "India's Hunting Heritage"

[ 03-27-2003, 21:33: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Rick

Come on, you have probably watched "Crocodile Hunter".

For the photo you need to be squatting on its back wapping a redundant piece of rope around his jaws while you flip him the crocodile making it look like a struggle.

Big pipes.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Ebay. They occasionally have vintage pictures of African hunting photos, books, etc.

I looked on Ebay for you. Under search, I typed "African photos" and I found this:

8 Photos Of Hunting - Africa c1890s
eBay Item # 3215829702

There are also a couple old African hunting books via an "African photos" search.

Good luck!

Posts: 33 | Location: SC - Lowcountry | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Peter V>
posted
Hi Nick

I'm looking for African and Indian ala colonial style pictures of typical hunting scenes. I have picked up your Indian pics from your Village Photo album - exactly what I'm after.

I have a bunch assembled from other sources which show a number of East African hunt scene - once digitised it is easy enough to re-print them on kodak photo paper - instant new "old" photo's for framing.

Have done the same using some of my own pictures and printed them out after giving them a "sepia" finish which also looks great.

Goes well with the pith helmets, shields, assegais and martini henry's on my gun room walls.

Regards