New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rem experience
 Login/Join

<BWN300MAG>
posted
Can any of you provide a little enlightnment about this cartridge on Ele, buff, etc. I have had my heart set on a 458, but may have had an offer I just cannot refuse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them both and personally prefer the 416. Do a search on this and you should find reams of information on this subject.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Brian,

You can't go wrong with the choice...Reloaded it is a super cartridge.A very close friend and Ph uses it in a model 70 and it has performed flawlessly...
I shoot a Lott but this would be a second rifle and it will shoot out to 300yds...
See you in Dallas in January..
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 416 Rem, been very pleased with it's performance.

On Elephant, my PH was shooting a 458, a client of mine was shooting my 416, they both hit him in the shoulder, within 2 inches of each other, my PH was very impressed on the 416, so much that he went out and bought one!

You will not go wrong with the 416 thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've used both too and there is no wrong choice between them for standard work.

I took an elephant with a .416 Rem. last year and was very happy with the performance.

In my particular m70's the .458 is considerably more accurate even though the .416 has had more custom work. I'm sure that's just an artifact of my rifles.

The .416 does shoot a little flatter in case you have to make the gun double for a plains rifle. And in my mind the .416 is more forgiving to reload (bullet length/powder choices aren't quite as critical).

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BWN300MAG
Tell us more about this 416. What kind of rifle is it.
There are no flies on the 416. Other than the fact it only has one barrel, Big Grin it is a good choice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better be sure it has a 10rnd detachable box magazine or facility to use stripper clips to speed the reload Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I think the 416 Rem is superior to the 458 Win in every aspect.

If you are comparing to the 458 Lott the 416 is only superior in range and lower recoil.

The 416 Rem is the most gun I can shoot many times a day without developing a flinch - and flinching is NOT GOOD!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think more of the ph's I've hunted with use 416's than anything else. For me I much prefer my 470 there is just something about that big frontal area that seems to kill better

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have recently bought some North Fork 370 grain softs and FN solids that I am going to try in my .416 Rem.

I haven't loaded or fired any of these bullets yet, but have obtained some loading data from other AR posters and reaching 2,450 fps well under maximum pressures should be easy.

The North Fork 370s may be the ideal bullets for the .416 Rem.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot about 4 or 5 Buffalo with those 370 gr. 416 Northfork softs plus a bushel of plainsgame...It is a deadly bullet that does a lot of internal damage and normally stops on the off side skin of a buff at 2350 to 2400 FPS.

My only one shot "instant" kill on a buff was at 225 yards with that bullet in the heart as he trotted towards the high grass...

I recommend it highly for a soft point.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Ganyana,
Since all model70's are belt-feed calibers Wink I can have faith the 416 would do just fine as is. As would the 458 or as the 300 win mag that I have does.
However, I really do want the stopping power as opposed to the versatility (DG, plainsgame to 300 yards). But, a four hundred gr solid at 2300 fps must work better than a 300 gr at 2400 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch...I feel another shower of red hot cases falling down my shirt and arround my ears Wink Just buy a double like little big brother (or is that big, little brother) and just use one shot....

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sure is nice to have friends. I have one who is at an auction now. He called to ask me if I was interested in buying some .416 rem. mag. ammunition. I asked what kind and he told me that it was Federal Premium or something. I told him to go ahead and I would meet him for lunch tomorrow to pick it up and pay him.

I got a call back a few minutes ago. Hank told me he bought the ammo. When I asked how much he paid for it, I darned near fell over when he told me. "$13.00/box," he said. My next question was, "How many boxes?" "One," he replied. Oh well. A bargain is a bargain.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update: The shells were Remington brand. Bullets: 350 grain Swift A-frame. Hank wouldn't take anything more for his efforts and sold them to me for $13.00. It also cost me lunch. Still cheap.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I have recently bought some North Fork 370 grain softs and FN solids that I am going to try in my .416 Rem.

I haven't loaded or fired any of these bullets yet, but have obtained some loading data from other AR posters and reaching 2,450 fps well under maximum pressures should be easy.

The North Fork 370s may be the ideal bullets for the .416 Rem.

Please tell me what loads you try. I also just bought the NF 370s. softs for the exact same reason. Please share some info. It will be around 3 weeks before I start developing loads.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Lightning,

You have a PM.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 370 gain North Fork is by far the most accurate bullet I have used with my .416 Remington and Rigby. For the Remington I tried IMR-4064 and RL-15 powder with Federal 215M primers. The RL-15 loads from 78 grains to 82 were tested extensively with 80 grain chronographing at 2425 to 2450 fps being my most consistent and accurate load. It worked perfect on my Buffalo in the Selous. thumb Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote